Nordic youth hostels -- How are they?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Joey7F, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi everybody,

I plan to visit Scandinavia next year. (Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland) The middle two are up for debate.

My question is, how are the youth hostels? When breakfast is "included" what do they mean? A roll of bread and a cup of coffee? Bacon and eggs? A few open sandwiches?

If you have specific comments about specific hostels that would really be great!

--Joey
  2. Maladour-Fei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Egg and bacon is very rare on the breakfast table over here but few open sandwiches, a cup of coffee and breakfast sereals... That's about it... The hostels may vary from hostel to hostel but most of them are quite okay. In Seden we have an orginization called STF (swedish tourist orginization) that runs loads of youth hostels and they are all on a great standard. I think that there are similar things in the other nordic countries as well...
  3. Quiet Queen Jedi Master

star 4
    Maladour is quite right, coffee/ tea, bread, cheese, thinly sliced ham and sausage to put on your sandwich, perhaps some vegetables for like purpose, cereal, and that peculiar Swedish dish: fil, to go with the cereal.

Fil is a thickened, slightly sour milk, sort of like natural yoghurt, but milder in taste.

4. emilsson Force Ghost

star 6
    You can find more information about STF at The Swedish Touring Club. They should have a complete list of youth hostels that are a part of STF as well as prices.
  5. Riku Jedi Knight

star 1
    What I've experienced in Finland, the youth hostels are the same as anywhere... crappy. :D

Of course, me and my pals revenged that by smuggling people to our room through window. We're so evil.
  6. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for all of your input :)

--Joey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.