North American Invasion

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by Hama, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I'm going to definitely have to room on this one. Should we start a rooming thread? [face_mischief]
  2. misterfett1138 Jedi Padawan

3. Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Knight

star 3
    :eek:

I may visit just to see how bad the tourists are, and then tell them to "shut up" in Yankee terms.
  4. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wanna go. Think a boat could get me across the Atlantic? :p
  5. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    If you put enough postalstamps on your forehead Im sure the US postal will deliver you as well. :p
  6. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We'll get the FF-UK: Wales to send you over one of these

[image=http://www.severnbore.ndirect.co.uk/coracle.jpg]

http://www.data-wales.co.uk/coracle1.htm :D

Don't capsize ya hear! ;)
  7. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah James, surf the pond on a floating bathtub. Just remember to steer around Ireland.
  8. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  9. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    For those of you coming, just don't forget the little thing called jet-lag, since you are flying to the east. I've always found out that I need about two days to adapt when I fly far east, while it only takes me night to recover when flying to the west. It might not be a good idea to just land the day before the con and expect to feel good in the morning.
  10. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't talk to me about Americans in Stratford [face_plain]

I was there on Saturday. I would've sworn blind that the four of us were the only British in the town. It's ridiculous.

On a happier note (I'm sure nobody on the JC is that bad), a very warm welcome in advance to everyone making the trip across the pond. [:D]
  11. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    I'll be coming across the pond for this! It will be good to be back in the UK again :)
  12. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    MERI, BABE!!!

You're coming over? Schweeeeet! [:D]

Oh, another thing; I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but the drinking age in the UK is 18, as opposed to 21 in the USA. You may or may not get I.D.'d at the door (depends on the establishment), but I would strongly suggest that you use your passport for identification, and not your drivers license as you do in the States.

The doormen/bar staff will most likely be confused and refuse you entry. Passport is your best bet.
  13. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    I like the idea of coming over for the European Celebration. I would be able to see more things and more actors. Lets face it most of the british actors are still there and it would be quite easy to get them on board.

And personally I wouldn't mind making a nice side trip to Solihull. Home of the Land Rover and perhaps a night in Eastnor Castle.

14. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    The drinking age is actually 5, you just can't buy until 18 in pubs and off-licences, and 16 in Restaurants :p

Though granted, the 5 thing is mainly for drinking at home on special occaisions... :p
  15. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    18 before you can have a beer? You English prudes. :p
  16. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    You're kidding - uncouth Americans choose to go to Stratford of all places? The Bard is rolling over in his grave. :p

I would love to go to this, I've been aching to tour Europe for years. But the perennial problem is I'm just not sure if I can afford to do it.
  17. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, in my local, if you have a pulse, you'll get served. :p
  18. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Yes Mark I'll be there :) Start preparing yourself hehe.

[:D]
  19. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    That little boat is actually called a Coracle Tim (or Cwrwgl in the original Welsh).

While suitable for a bit of fishing, I wouldn't really recommend crossing the Atlantic in one. ;)

Good news your coming over Mer. I'll have to teach you some Welsh rugby songs. :)
  20. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Should we start a thread for those of us looking for roomies and stuffs. I figure I'll get my flight first and then do the hotel thing. Maybe I'll mosey over to the accomodations thread...
  21. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd love to come over for this. If I live VERY frugally for the next year, I should be able to afford it (since I'm also going to the LA CIV and DragonCon)

Since I've never been to the UK, I think I'd make Celebration part of a larger trip to do some travel around England, Ireland and Scotland. Be interesting to see the places my ancestors came from (although it was several hundred years ago that they left ;) )
  22. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I'm really looking forward to all you Americans coming over here to see us. I just hope that we can put on as good a show for you as you all did for us at CIII - and hopefully CIV :D

Two celebrations in one year! Yay! :D
  23. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Never been to a Celebration, but more than anything I'd like to see CE. Going to work my butt off to do this. :D :D
  24. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Booked my hotel today!! I'm at the Ibis Earl's Court, right across the street weee. Can't wait!
  25. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Woot! Meri's coming to the UK :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.