main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

North Korea Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually there are no minefields in the DMZ, atleast there aren't supposed to be, I assume some could be remnants, but planting minefields in the DMZ would be violating the cease fire as I understand it.

And our troops can not guard our borders because of Posse Comitatus. In effect, our troops can not be used to enforce US laws in the country unless specifically authorized.

Other then authorizing it(which may not be the best idea) all we could do is make the entire border a military base, or declare war on Mexico and Canada.

Of course you're an isolationist so I'm not sure why you even think we need an an army.

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Farraday,

I spent a year in Korea. While not stationed in the CFC, I had quite a few deployments to the DMZ.

I can most definately tell you that it is heavily mined, to a degree.

The actual DMZ is 2.5 miles wide. The entire area is not mined, but a secured strip on each country's respective side sure is.

In fact, if you have ever heard of the "world's most dangerous golf course," it butts up to the mine field on the US side.

There is a standing challenge for people to hit their golf balls out of bounds and get a mine to detonate.

3. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Other then authorizing it(which may not be the best idea) all we could do is make the entire border a military base, or declare war on Mexico and Canada.

What's wrong with making the border a military base?

Of course you're an isolationist so I'm not sure why you even think we need an an army.

When have I ever said we should get rid of our army? I've called for the withdrawal of all American military personnel stationed abroad, including the countries of NATO Europe, Japan, the Philippines, Central America and South Korea, but I would never do something as drastic as abolishing the army.

4. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Fred, you are forgetting one thing.

(Besides the force projection aspect, which is a seperate debate)

South Korea actually pays for our infrastructure to house the troops (same with Okinawa), so the US is getting quite a bargain there.

While I don't know all the specifics, basically whatever is permament there is paid by South Korea, and whatever is moveable is paid by the US.

So, in Korea, we are getting free barracks, free airstrips, free maintanance depots, free fuel distribution, etc..

That's why so many units are sent to Korea for training.

If those troops had to be rotated home, all that infrastructure would have to be made up by our own budget.

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    When have I ever said we should get rid of our army? I've called for the withdrawal of all American military personnel stationed abroad, including the countries of NATO Europe, Japan, the Philippines, Central America and South Korea, but I would never do something as drastic as abolishing the army.

Yes, at that point you make me wonder what you believe we need an army for. Are you afraid Canada's gonna invade?

Do you think the military is prepared for police duties? How many tanks do you need to stop a van?

Not to mention that we'd have to actually increase the size of our army to pull it off. And of course that pesky matter of requiring anyone leaving the country to go through a military checkpoint, gee almost sounds like a police state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.