main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

North Korea Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't see it as any different from Nazi death camps.

It's evil on a grand scale.

2. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
  3. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I don't think that anyone is going to argue that what is going on in NK is evil but thats not the issue. A war in NK would be extremely costly. I will bring up again the fact that there are 12 million people in Seoul who are within range of most of NK's arsenal.

4. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    Maybe a war would be costly, but I am not the one who is going to tell the people in those camps that we are going to leave them there.

This is the equivalent of the Holocaust and it seems to me that the world is ignoring it either because we are too afraid of the regime or because Koreans are not as popular in the western world as the Jews.

Although we need to protect South Korea, that must not keep us from defending the people in those camps. We can't sit back and let people be tortured and killed just because they do not have the recognition and status of Jews.

5. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Does anyone get a sense of helplessness when they read articles such as these on the Death Camps and then realise that the Bush hasn't yet lifted a finger to stop any of this?

Tayschrenn

6. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    Although we need to protect South Korea, that must not keep us from defending the people in those camps. We can't sit back and let people be tortured and killed just because they do not have the recognition and status of Jews.

I would like anyone who advocates a war against North Korea to explain to me in a credible manor how Seoul, a city with 12 million residents, can be protected in the event of a war. Just a reminder, Seoul is only 25 miles from the border with NK.

7. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    The NK and SK are still at war, officially. Last year, I think it was, an SK patrol ship was sunk by an NK patrol ship.

8. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Does anyone get a sense of helplessness when they read articles such as these on the Death Camps and then realise that the Bush hasn't yet lifted a finger to stop any of this?

Gets your blood boiling doesnt it? How can one human being do that to another and look himself or herself in the mirror, or feel good about what they are? I just dont get it.

9. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    Not to keep on being negative here, but I need to ask one thing:

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE OTHER MEDIA OUTLETS ON THIS?

I mean, you don't read about this in the newspapers, in the news magazines, or even see it on TV.

There should be outrage everywhere. This is the Holocaust all over again, and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

10. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    There should be outrage everywhere. This is the Holocaust all over again, and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

And what do you suggest we do about it.

11. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    I suggest we do the same thing we did during World War Two.

12. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    WHERE THE HELL ARE THE OTHER MEDIA OUTLETS ON THIS?

I agree. I don't often visit the MSNBC site, and had I not seen the link in this thread, I'd have not know about it myself.

Pretty bad when you have to get such info as this by happenstance from a Star Wars BB.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, I think that the "Axis of Evil" speech partly contributed to this whole situation we're having right now.

I suggest we do the same thing we did during World War Two.

So, you're suggesting that we bomb the living crap out of every major city, and ignore the "death camps" until the war is almost over?

15. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    "Actually, I think that the "Axis of Evil" speech partly contributed to this whole situation we're having right now."

Really? Wow, that's amazing! The North Koreans somehow figured out in '99, when they were aquiring the technology which allowed them to produce weapons-grade uranium, that Bush would win the election, and then go on to proclaim them part of an Axis of Evil!?

NK didn't decide to cheat on the '94 accords in the last 2 years. That decision, the one that ultimately causes the problem (*not* the US or NK's neighbors criticising and pointing out the problem), predates the speech.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Is that sarcasm? 8-}

I said partly, anyway. It probably did frighten the North Korean government.

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    They didn't set up the death camps in the past year.

NK: Hey, Bush called us evil. We better do something to live up to that label.

Not hardly.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That was not what I meant.

19. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    I will repeat my post of two days ago to see if I get a response this time.

I would like anyone who advocates a war against North Korea to explain to me in a credible manor how Seoul, a city with 12 million residents, can be protected in the event of a war. Just a reminder, Seoul is only 25 miles from the border with NK.

20. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    I don't know what Darth_Guy is getting at, but I believe that at least one consequence of the "Axis of Evil" yap from Bush would have been that it put NK on the defensive. In my opinion it could have started to unsettle NK and, particularly, it's government.

While there are clearly other circumstances that predate all of this, it might have pushed NK towards what they are doing now quicker than if they had gone on their own.

The only thing I could see coming from a statement that brands "Iraq, Iran & NK" together in an "Axis of Evil" is that they would all get on the defensive and some of them might seek each other out for further friendship. Though that hasn't happened, yet. :p

Tayschrenn

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

It can't be protected effectively.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    To me, North Korea is the greatest threat to the world right now. For all the buildup, Iraq is behind N.K. when it comes to threats. They have a massive army, and it's 25 miles away from South Korea's capital. World attention is focused on Iraq, and if North Korea decided to invade South Korea, dealing with the N.K. Army would be difficult in light of the tremendous buildup in the Persian Gulf.

I think we're setting ourselves up for some major problems down the road.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    DarthKarde, it can't and that's why war isn't an option at this stage. Given the size of NK's armed forces, the massive [potential] damage to the South Koreans simply doesn't warrant military action -esp. considering the unknown and undisclosed state of the NK arsenal.

Furthermore, what if China steps up for NK, if NK gets too much flak?

E_S

24. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    the massive [potential] damage to the South Koreans simply doesn't warrant military action

What about on the behalf of the USA, which had such a large role in the development of the current situation in Korea after the war?

considering the unknown and undisclosed state of the NK arsenal.

I doubt that the longer we allow it to remain undisclosed and unknown the better the situation will get.

Tayschrenn

25. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    DarthKarde, it can't and that's why war isn't an option at this stage. Given the size of NK's armed forces, the massive [potential] damage to the South Koreans simply doesn't warrant military action -esp. considering the unknown and undisclosed state of the NK arsenal.

I've made this point time and time agian in this thread but have yet to get a response from those advocating war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.