main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

North Western quarter.

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by FatBurt, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Hmm...in the list of places to visit you left out Quiggins! How dare you! I hereby make an executive decision - any visit to Liverpool must include Quiggins. Full stop.

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    So have we got any dates for this Liverpool meet? coz I'm still up for it. :D

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I presume we are doing the meet on a Saturday, so we have the following days available -

March
    4th
    11th
    18th
    25th (26th is Mother's Day btw)
    April
    1st (if we picked that date, please don't do an April fool where no one turns up lol :p )
    >Caroline away 8th-18th<
    22nd (23rd is St George's Day - this was when Celebration III was on last year)
    29th

I think I am ok for all of those days, I need to check when some of the upcoming conventions are, though I may not be going to them anyways.
    Any dates we can definitely discard so that we can shorten the list?

:p @ Dickie, fine fine ;)

4. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Good to see the North West movin along. I won't be able to get there for it, Off to York this weekend, Got Boro comin up the week after, then I gotta get my finances under control for the big meet in York.

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I should be good for any of those dates apart from the 4th

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Hehe, I had a feeling the 4th was a little too close to comfort, was waiting for the panic :)

March
    11th
    18th
    April
    1st (if we picked that date, please don't do an April fool where no one turns up lol )
    >Caroline away 8th-18th<
    29th

So far, ForceGhostOfCozmic, Go-Away, and myself, and maybe Dickie. Of the people who posted interest before, anyone else got bad days (Egyptian days if you will :p )?

7. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    March
    11th
    18th
    April
    >Caroline away 8th-18th<

Taking 1st April and 29th April out for the moment since 1st is the day of the London Film and Comic Con, and 29th is Collectormania 9 at Milton Keynes, and I hope to attend both.

8. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    I can't make 18 March now.

9. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Np, that is cutting down our days nicely, maybe we'll have a decision by 11th :p
    I'd say 25th March or 22nd of April

March
    11th
    April
    22nd (23rd is St George's Day)

So is the interest still there from others, we have three people who said yes recently? Post if you are lurking lol :p

10. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    22nd Apr sounds good - bit more planning time.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks Caroline, that makes it easier, I am reposting the ideas below so we can plan.

FF-UK: North By NorthWest - Liverpool Meet Ideas - round 2

Date: 22nd April 2006
    If there are no objections, then this is the confirmed date, please can people interested post below, then we can plan meeting places, etc.

Shopping (Star Wars related)

Forbidden Planet Liverpool
    92 Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY
    Tel: 0151 707 1491

Worlds Apart (Associate Store, Liverpool)
    58-60 Lime Street, Liverpool, L1 1JN
    Tel: 0151 707 0839

Quiggins
    12 - 16 School Lane, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 3BT
    Tel: 0151 709 24 62
    Location map - http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=53.4042&lon=-2.9844&scale=10000&icon=x
    http://www.quiggins.com/
    http://www.quiggins.com/forum/ (forum)
    http://quiggins.has.it/ (myspace)

Cultural
    It's going to be Capital of Culture in 2008 ( http://www.liverpool08.com/index.asp?event_id=1 ) and if you look at the number of museums and art galleries Liverpool has, you can see why!

Tate Liverpool - http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/
    Tate Liverpool, Albert Dock, Liverpool, L3 4BB
    Telephone: 0151 702 7400 (international +44 151 702 7400)
    Fax: 0151 702 7401
    Email : liverpoolinfo@tate.org.uk
    Admission to Tate Collection at Tate Liverpool is free. Special exhibitions usually have a charge.

The Beatles Story Exhibition - http://www.beatlesstory.com/
    The Beatles Story, Britannia Vaults, Albert Dock, Liverpool, L3 4AD
    Telephone: 0151 709 1963
    Fax: 0151 708 0039
    Email: info@beatlesstory.com
    Admission to The Beatles Story Exhibition is -
    Adults: £8.99
    Children (5-16yrs): £4.99
    Children (0-4yrs): Free
    Concessions (Unwaged, students and senior citizens): £5.99
    Family Saver Ticket (2 adults and 3 children): £25.00

There is a note on the page that says "Excellent group rates are available for The Beatles Story".

Bluecoat Arts centre - http://www.bluecoatartscentre.com/
    Bluecoat Arts Centre, School Lane Liverpool, L1 3BX
    0151 709 5297
    email: admin@bluecoatartscentre.com
    Admission to Bluecoat Arts centre is free. Special exhibitions usually have a charge.

National Museums Liverpool
    Map showing locations below - http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/wmlmap.asp
    I'll lump them in proximity to each other -

Near Lime Street -
    World Museum Liverpool
    Walker Art Gallery
    Conservation Centre (closed at the moment)

Near Albert Dock (so near the Tate and the Beatles Story) -
    Merseyside Maritime Museum
    Customs & Excise National Museum
    Museum of Liverpool Life

All these venues, the National Museums Liverpool group, are FREE ADMISSION.

Food
    If we need to eat (lunch or evening meal even) Liverpool has plenty of places. Note we may need to suit to certain needs - I am not fussy what type of food, but I am vegetarian ;)

Wetherspoons - http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/food/
    I'd recommend here (it's non-smoking tho, I believe) - We ate in one of these for Collectormania Manchester, their veggie chilli was quite good, and they do veggie burgers too. Plenty of meat dishes for the carnivarous ones amongst us.
    It's very central, near Worlds Apart and Lime Street Station - on Great Charlotte Street but the Wetherspoons website doesn't seem to recognize it, but it is there. Other recommendations, please post below ;) That's if we need a place to eat.

12. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I shall be able to turn up, not for long though, i'm usually out with some of my friends who I only see of a Saturday.

13. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    The 22nd April sounds good to me, but The Richard John Blackler on Great Charlotte Street is a smoking pub. Plus I know a few nicer places to eat in Liverpool :p

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That'll be cool GreenGreatWarrior :cool: :)
    Cozmic, you lead the way lol, as long as they have some thing for veggies that doesn't look like a salad bowl, I am with ya :p

And yeah, I noticed when I went by it last Saturday that it was a smoking place.

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well there is Kimos on Mount Pleasant which might be up your street the food there is great, me and my girlfriend eat there all the time :D But there's always the other Wetherspoons, The Welkin on Whitechapel (That is non-smoking)

16. jedidonkey

jedidonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2006
    hello,

I'm new here so i just wanted to introduce myself. My real name is lauren

17. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Welcome to the FF-UK: North (by NorthWest) Lauren :cool: :D
    You just started posting at the right time, we are organising the first NW social meet (outside of the Collectormania Manchester), it'll be in Liverpool on 22nd April, so if you want to join in, feel free ;)

Cool username by the way lol :p

18. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Welcome Lauren :D

I'm not posting much as I know very little about Liverpool - went to an OU day course and that's it unless you count the school trip but that was a lot time ago and the only thing I remember was that it was cup day with Everton playing Liverpool.

19. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Lol, no worries hehe. Is there any of the museums that really stand out as a "must see" for you though, I have been to most. And it's not like I am an expert in Liverpool, I can still get lost on the edges of the city center :p But I know all the areas mentioned above ;)

I think my parents lived on Penny Lane before they had kids too :) I am trying to remember if I have been to that place on Paradise street now, maybe.

20. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    I'm rather fond of art, but imho, that bores the hell out of everybody else :p

21. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I just realised that there is a Led Zeppelin 12 hour convention on at the Cavern Club on the 22nd, unless it gets sold out, or the Fanforce are all Zep fans, then I may not make it. It's on from midday to midnight, tickets are £10.

22. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm a Zep fan but I don't think I'm up for that one :p

23. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Have you lot decided on a date yet? when U do let me know and I'll have it put up on the anouncements up top, needs updating soon.

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Well, 22nd has been agreed on by 3-4 members (one going Zepplinin' mind), so put that up Chris. There are a few other people who posted interest (including your pal from the 'pool uni), so we'll see if they come back and post. I think I may need to collapse in exhaustion in June, way I am going with all the conventions I plan to hit.

25. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Hi Lauren!

Glad you found your way over here! The NW guys are very nice! Have fun!

I would love to join you all for your meet in Liverpool (the last time I was there many moons ago I think I slept in what was the bus station as I missed my last bus home! [face_blush]).

Until I can get Tim's 'site to site' transport working again, I am at a bit of a loss...:_|

Tim, please dont pour the cats milk into the keyboard again next time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.