main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not a Star Wars film if not entirely from the brain of George Lucas

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Squid Head, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squid Head

Squid Head Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2014
  2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't necessarily see an issue here... Either Lucas' plan wasn't good enough or it didn't go the direction they wanted. This would be saying like "It isn't a James Bond movie if it doesn't come from Ian Flemming's mind" or "It isn't a Star Trek film/series/show unless it comes from Gene Roddenberry." Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I wonder if GL will ever release what his original plot was.

Man... if it turns out GL was going to use major elements of the Zahn timeline... Mara, the Solo Twins, Ben Skywalker... and Disney said LOLNOPE! ...if that is the way of it and it comes to light, there's going to be a ****storm the likes of which the SW fansphere has never seen.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah certain parts of the internet would explode. I dunno though....I never got the feeling Lucas cared one way or the other about the EU so I kind of don't think he would have included a whole lot of it.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think GL would do pretty much what the Mouse is. Use and change whatever he liked I think SW varies person to person and that's good. The volatility of certain elements of the fandom not so much.

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    As much as I would enjoy to see people lose their collective **** over something like that happening, I agree with you. Lucas didn't seem to really care what happened in the EU, and IIRC he said he never even read anything in the EU.

Pretty much, I think I remember reading that for ESB Lucas decided to rewrite Luke and Vader's background history for the story going forward from that point.... But I could be mistaken....

cubman987 likes this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Isnt that counter to what his son said?

If what Lucas is saying is true, it explains why he hasnt seen the trailer, nor has visited the set. The early publicity shots of JJ with Lucas eating lunch were probably part've the deal to make it look for the public. But its Disney's property now, and if he did not have any stipulations in the contract that you have to use my ideas or scripts, can't do much.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But he had co-writers/other writers on The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Attack of the Clones. They weren't "entirely from the brain of George Lucas".
    About what Lucas said: I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot of his original ideas will still be in the movie.
    Anyway, this should be in 7SA or 7NSA, not here.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well it makes more sense of what that TCW writer said about TCW more poignant about that question as to why there was no stipulation or clause in the contract to continue TCW after sale and it being a deal breaker if there was one. And why it was eventually canceled upon acquisition. Am sure after the ST is release they'll make a what if comic or insert some of Lucas's ideas into canon here and there.

The flip side is that they couldve been really bad ideas/scripts, however the original writers of TFA were fired as well :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/writer-michael-arndt-exits-star-650671

10. Squid Head

Jun 18, 2014
    "But he had co-writers/other writers on The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Attack of the Clones. They weren't "entirely from the brain of George Lucas".

Perhaps but at least he had some input

If someone can move the thread. Sorry.

I can't believe this.

Other people may not care but I do. I can't stand the thought of GL watching the movie and thinking "No, it shouldn't be like that."

If it's not from his brain then it's not canon. It may be enjoyable but it won't count as a proper Star Wars movie.

I thought he still had creative control.

I'm hoping someone is going to tell me that Lucas is full of it and that he actually did have creative input. Even if it was only some.

On the other hand if Lucas likes the direction Disney takes in The Force Awakens, that may not be so bad.

PLEASE GIVE HIM CREATIVE INPUT IN THE NEXT TWO.

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  11. Squid Head

Jun 18, 2014
    "About what Lucas said: I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot of his original ideas will still be in the movie."
    Please let that be so. :)

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I wish Lucas was more involved but it happens.

13. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It was clear pretty much from the announcement of the sale that he relinquished creator control.

Thousands--maybe millions--of people enjoyed lots of SW stories that weren't from his brain, and considered them canon for decades despite George's thoughts on the matter. As far as we knew, he was never gonna make proper sequels, so the EU was all we had.

Not all of George's ideas were gold, and handling the writing & directing aspects of the PT all by his lonesome (for the most part) was not ideal, and considered a mistake by a great many fans. Having someone else take the reins, and having diehard fans overseeing things via the Story Group, is probably the best thing to happen. Granted, not all diehard fans 'know what's best'... Kevin J Anderson practically being "the Story Group" of the mid-late '90s is probably one of the darkest chapters of the EU. I'm sure many fans would hate 'my' version of Star Wars, just as I'd hate many other versions (particularly those that begin "wouldn't it be cool if...?"). My hope is that the Story Group can work with the other creators, and they can all help keep each other in check. "No, pressing a button on a lightsaber to double the length of the blade wouldn't be cool, it'd be unwieldily and look ridiculous. Send it over to the people making the SW Lego cartoons, they'll play it for laughs."

jabberwalkie likes this.
  14. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I doubt Lucas's vision would involve Mara Jade, from what I've always understood, he never liked the character.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Me to it would have been his own story disregarding all the old EU.

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    If Mara Jade or Thrawn have a chance of showing up in the new canon it would likely be through Filoni.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, this really belongs more in 7SA or Saga. Though if y'all wish to continue this discussion in SWTV feel free to use the General SW Discussion thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.