main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not a ton of sci-fi on television right now

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Rox , Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm bored with a lot of the stuff on tv right now. I need more selection of sci-fi on tv, suggest me stuff to watch gogo. I watch Supernatural, Stargate and that's about it.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Most everything that I know of is on mid season break right now.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Have you tried NetFlix instant download? THey have a ton of stuff, including some shows/movies that are actually good.

Tried the CloneWars cartoon? Doctor Who/Torchwood?

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    And now Stargate has been cancelled.:rolleyes:

By the way, why do they call it the SyFy channel when it hosts Ghost Hunters
    marathons (and worse):confused:

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    There are worse things than "Ghost Hunters". "Paranormal State" is the first thing that comes to mind. Guy behind that show is worse than a total dushe--he's a wannabe dushe!

SciFi lost it when they decided to cancel FarScape. That was the beginning of the end. Sometimes something mildly good would sneak into their productions, but mostly not. It's enough that I'd almost feel sorry for them, if they hadn't decided that Professional Wrestling was better entertainment than SciFi.

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Professional ([face_laugh]) wrestling on the SyFy channel... the ultimate downfall of humanity.

Didn't the Mayans predict this somewhere in their 2012, end-of-the-world calendar?

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Ah, but now the BS artists who have been claiming that a new era of enlightenment was coming now say that the original translaters may be off by as much as 50 years. Guess they want to hedge their bets so that their supporters won't be disappointed until after their pontifs are dead. If you want a real laugh, look up "Stargate 2012"--funny as hell that people take this nutcase seriously.

8. IellaAntilles

IellaAntilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2000
    I've turned to the BBC for my sci-f/fantasy tv fix. Plus I'm watching old series on Netflix.

9. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Right now I think I am gonna watch the Merlin from start to now. I have seen it every once in a while on the CW or whatever it's called and it looks ok. Kind of like Hercules when I was younger.

I never really got into Doctor Who, maybe it's time to revisit that too.

10. IellaAntilles

IellaAntilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2000
    The campiness of Merlin is great.

And I'm a new Whovian too, just don't take it too seriously. Torchwood, if you choose to watch it, skip Children of Earth. I'm personally pretending that it never existed.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The ep I saw of Merlin was no where near as good as Herc or Xena.
    Whole style of the thing just cheezed me off. Same with that Jeckle show.

Even the worst of the Sara Jane Adventures was way better than Merlin. Heck, I'll take the worse of The Tomorrow People.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    New Who has been generally excellent fun- Torchwood was watchable, and did improve in it;s second season (and got even better in the excellent Children of Earth miniseries).

Sanctuary has been generally decent- especially after they moved past the Cabal/Daughter stuff and started focusing more on the mythology of The Five and other ancient stuff (though it still has it's monster of the week episodes).

Eureka is hilarious light-fare.

The Walking Dead was top-notch excellent.

The Venture Bros started out as an amusing Johnny Quest spoof, but has evolved into one of the best shows out there.

But, yeah, alas, not too much else out that's current and noteworthy.

13. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Farscape... Was that the best show or what???
    I washoping for at least a little hogfather...

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Happy HogSwash!

Ah... Ian Richardson as Death... even Better than Christopher Lee...

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I've been getting my SciFi fix from Netflix streaming. I just watched all of SG-1, SG-A and will finish SG-U. I guess it's time to watch Babylon 5 from start to finish.

I liked Eureka, but it got too campy. But I might have to revisit that, also.

This lack of good Science Fiction SUCKS!!!

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    One other show is Tower Prep from Paul Dini on Cartoon Network. At least it seems to be semi-sci-fi so far- I've only watched the first 4 episodes (after that they changed the timeslot and it conflicted with SGU so I missed a few, but I'm catching up now).

It's aimed at a teen audience but there's just enough potential with the concept and just enough success with the execution that it's easy to overlook some of the elements included to appeal to those demographics. Advanced word on the season as a whole was very positive, so with Dini's involement, I'm willing to give it a fair shot.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There is no Battlestar, no Caprica, no Lost and no more Stargate. This would be the perfect time for Paramount to announce the return of Trek to television.

18. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    With the movies going again do you really think they would do that?

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, now would be the perfect time to bring back Firefly!

Except not called Firefly or Serenity - it should have a title that actually suggests space adventure and thereby catch the attention of more than just Whedon devotees.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No thay won't, but Lost is finished, Stargate is about to go into hibernation, Caprica was killed and rumour has it that Sanctuary is on the bubble. So no they won't do it, but it would be good time to do it.

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Tried Eureka. Pilot was OK, but first couple episodes didn't carry it forward for me.

Getting to watch Dollhouse season 2. Wish the finale of 1 wasn't that flash-forward story--very annoying. Fun to see Summer Glau again after the Terminator:SCC.

Tried a couple of anime SF series, but couldn't get into them.

Have to settle for RPGs for my SciFi fix.
    OK, the Scary Solstice CDs by the H.P.Lovecraft Historical Society are providing quite a bit of entertainment at the momment.

But between Burn Notice and Clone Wars, I'm just about keeping afloat.

22. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    2010 was a weak year for Science Fiction, hopefully 2011 will be better. :p
    Which ones?

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Blood+, Witchblade and BlassReiter

24. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Heh, those aren't the best SF anime around, far from it even. :p

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    V is coming back on tomorrow night....Im game I like that show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.