main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not All the Jedi Need to Die in Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I posted this with my sock in 3SA (don't worry, there aren't any spoilers) several months ago (September) and thought I would share it here, as I am in the Episode III mode.

I hear tell of people thinking that each and every Jedi will need to be killed in Episode III. That would be impossible considering the amount of Jedi in the galaxy.

At the time of The Phantom Menace, there were 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy. By the time we get to Attack Of The Clones, there are only 9,000 Jedi in the galaxy. We see the beginning of the Clone Wars, approximately 200 Jedi die, and many, many more Jedi will die during the Clone Wars. But there'll still be a lot of Jedi left by the time we get to Episode III, and it would be impossible for Vader to "help the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi" to extend that every single Jedi is killed.

That being said, I do not feel that we need to see every Jedi die in Episode III; the combiniation of Obi-Wan's lines and Tarkin's in A New Hope tell us all that we need to know: The Jedi are essentially gone. All we need in Episode III is the sense that the Empire + Vader are going to hunt down and destroy the Jedi, and we are all set by the time we get to Episode IV.

Something I have noticed during my time at the boards is that some people have a difficulty making inferences from what they are shown on screen, and those who have a major problem with that may not be able to figure it out. I feel, however, that most anyone who can draw conclusions from the hints that they are given would be able to figure out such a thing.

The Empire/Vader can kill Jedi during the time between trilogies, slowly hunting them down one at a time, without contradicting anything shown in the films thus far. Not everything needs to be shown on screen to portray that it happened, much like any character changing clothes during any movie; it's not on screen but we know it happened.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I agree!

Killing Jedi cannot happen over night. It takes years to track them all down. Vader will have to search the galaxy for them. I think only the major ones and the ones in the Temple will die in III.

Perhaps EU books will follow Vader as he searches for more Jedi to kill.

--Seldon

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Talk about overkill. ALL the Jedi dying in the movie is way too much death and destruction for Lucas. And it isn't necessary. We know they die, we know Vader helps kill them. Not that it shouldn't be brought up at all... but the vast majority can happen later.

We don't need to see every little thing that is mentioned in the OT. Use your imagination. Lucas has quite a history of skipping over even "important" events. Take the Clone Wars for example. Heck, we missed 10 years of Anakin's life, some really important years. We're not going to see the "purge" either. We don't need to see these events to know they happened and to understand their magnitude. It just isn't possible and doesn't serve to further the storyline.

4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    they dont exactly kill all the jedi during the purge either now do they? i can think of 3 purge survivors....yoda, obi-wan, and vergere........the idea that all the jedi will be killed is insane in of itself, you dont have to kill all the jedi to get rid of them, they will run and hide and be no threat...in my opinion, palpatine's overlying goal wasnt to kill all the jedi, it was to destroy and render useless the jedi order as an instituition. they guy even formed the "new order" to replace the jedi....no even if a few knights, say in the 50-100 range escape the purge, it wouldnt matter anyway

5. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Vergere?

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I think thousands of Jedi will be dead by the end of the Clone Wars anyway. The total amount remaining won't be too great by the time ep3 rolls around.

That being said, I'd wager most (if not all) of the Jedi Purge will occur between trilogies.

7. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    wow, jmo, three new posts in one day, trying to raise the activity on this forum single handly?

I know epiii is going to be a very dark movie, and there is part of me that just wants to see a slaughter, that wants to see a mass closure. While obviously we wont see every Jedi die, I just think the Jedi that we have seen in the pt, w/ exception of Yoda and Obi-Wan, almost need to die to show the audience how far AnaVader has fallen to the darkside. Besides, Miss PadmeLeiaJaina tells a nice story in the aotc board that when she saw aotc in the theatres, people were asking after the movie where Luke was, and before wondering if 'the nice Senator' Palpatinewould be in the movie. So besides us starwars junkies the patrol these pages, the rest of the movie going audience might need to see the purge to get a better understanding of AnaVader's fall.

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    All of the jedi need to die! [face_devil]

Duct Tape...the Force it is like. Both a light side and a dark side it has. Binds the universe together it does!

9. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Vergere is an EU character in the New Jedi Order series. I haven't got far enough along in the series to say she's a Jedi, I just know she has some Force abilities. Someone else who knows EU better can explain better.

The Cold army will overtake the music world

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree with Stinrab - the CW is going to take a HUGE toll on the Jedi Order - replacing one Jedi is incredibly more costly than replacing 1,000 soldiers.

And I assume part of Vader's "job" from the time he's hired onwards to ANH will be to wipe out the remaining Jedi - it would give him something to do - he's uniquely qualified for the position, and he's not really good at anything else. 8-}

Hmm...I'm not going to try to match Ousley, but I've got an idea for a new topic.

11. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    The more obvious-to-some aspects of the Galactic War directly told on screen, the less time the fans who caught onto said insinuations will have to spend discussing whether or not the events ever took place with those who didn't quite get it (by no fault of their own).

I can't help but to feel, Ousley, that you perhaps are getting a bit worried that Lucas will indeed contradict the EU in the last SW film and then how will your time spent reading the EU be seen...

Admittedly, I could be way off.

12. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I'd say a large chunk of the Jedi will be dead by the start of Ep III. Maybe they'll even be something in the opening crawl, or a bit of expositionary dialogue at the start, to let us know that they've been decimated. Then, we'll see many more die in the movie.

While I agree that not all Jedi need to be dead by the end of the movie, all of the important ones need to be gone, and the job needs to be mostly done.

We also need to see HOW the Jedi die between III and IV. If they are to die at the hands of clones or bounty hunters, we need to see some of this to be able to infer what happens between III and IV. We also need to see Anakin/Vader kill at least one Jedi in order to buy in to him as a real bad guy before Ep III.

13. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think the vast majority of the jedi will be killed in the Clone Wars. I agree that we don't need to see all of the jedi die on screen. We should see Vader hunt down one of the well known jedi at the end of the movie so everyone knows the purge is taking place. I would for the movie to end with Vader fighting and killing someone like Saesee Tiin on a remote planet.

14. anakin2lordvader

anakin2lordvader Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    I to would like to see Vader hunting down a jedi too..
    I would even like if it didnt show that much kinda like the 1st trailer for episode 2....BREATHING..
    I dont know how to describe this but i have a picture that is a old drawing of Vader with a blue lightsaber he is fighting a man in an oxogen mask...NOW THAT would be hella cool to see made into the movie..... just my wishful thinkin i guess.......

15. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Something I have noticed during my time at the boards is that some people have a difficulty making inferences from what they are shown on screen, and those who have a major problem with that may not be able to figure it out.

I don't suppose this could have anything to do with the fact that films are a visual medium, where the rule is to show and not tell. Or the fact that people make assumptions based not on what is communicated by the films, but by what is not directly refuted.

16. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    i have a picture that is a old drawing of Vader with a blue lightsaber he is fighting a man in an oxogen mask...NOW THAT would be hella cool to see made into the movie..... just my wishful thinkin i guess.......

I have the same picture. Its concept art for the first movie. As I understand it, the other guy is Luke. I think they used the pic for ideas for the Bespin fight.

Regarding the Jedi dying in E3 - I dont think we need to see them all go, but I think there will be something early on, either in the crawl or in dialogue, that tells us that most of the Jedi have already been killed in the Clone Wars.
    I think they'll somehow show us if there are any besides Ben and Yoda at the end of E3. Probably not a number or anything specific, maybe some random line like "Im glad some of them got away." Then by the time RotJ rolls around and Luke is told he's the last, we'll all know that those others must all be dead.

And we can all read about those other Jedi who survive E3 but die by E6, in the many EU books that are sure to keep coming for years. :)

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Agreed. As a matter of fact, that could be a cool series for Dark Horse to continue with Republic - except call it SW: Republic? or SW: Purge or something, because they already have an "Empire" line.

If there are any Jedi left in Episode III, besides the Big Three and Anakin, I assume it will be Ki-Adi Mundi, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Agen Kolar, etc. - the recognizable ones.

And I'd bet that the Jedi Council will either have around 5 or 6 of the 12 Council members at the beginning of Episode III; if the Council still has the full 12 members, many are going to be different.

And it makes sense that most of the surviving Jedi would be the "elite" - in a way, it's galactic "survival of the fittest", right? The very fact that you have survived the Clone Wars should make every Padawan a Knight and every Knight a Master.

The question is: are we going to see things like a bounty being announced for all Jedi?

Are the Jedi going to try to continue on with business as usual, training children, trying to solve problems?

Or are they going to start to go into hiding?

After the Clone Wars is over, surely Palpatine has to take a more direct route against the remaining Jedi.

18. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    You would have to think that of the JC that survive the Clone Wars, they will be the first ones hunted down. Get rid of the leaders, ergo the JO will become disorganized. Also to feed AnaVader's own ego in destroying the Jedi, from the top -> down. I also like the idea of sort of an epilogue at the end of the movie, w/ the deep breathing, and quick cut away scenes of Vader's light saber against this or that Jedi, a cut of a striking blow by Vader, and a final cut of said Jedi's saber hitting the ground.

Also Pablo was saying there will be more locations in epiii, than in any other episode, ergo this could be the way to incorporate it.

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm getting sick of the overuse of "ergo", HENCE we should call the contest now. ;)

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think loads of Jedi will be dead due to the Clone Wars, so I expect some comment on this during the first 30 minutes or so of the film. War-weary Jedi survivors and so on.

After that, it'll be enough to show the deaths of the major Jedi we've seen in both TPM and AOTC - so, outside of Mace, guys like Ki-Adi, Plo, Kit, and so on. So long as the audience sees the recognised 'supporting actor' Jedi die along with what happens to important guys like Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin, then that'll be enough to show how the remaining Jedi will be hunted down too.

21. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    ^perfectly stated

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    *adds Ghost_Jedi to Watched Users List* [face_laugh]

23. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    Thanks DamonD

**reciprocates**

24. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Actually,

I believe that all of them should die...especially the young ones. Lucas needs it to be absolutely clear that the Jedi are going to to be extinguished.

At least several major deaths- and some death of some of the Jedi kids.

25. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    It would be cool if Palpatine shot a meteor from space (a la The Last Command) at the Jedi Temple then a nice far back shot of the towers falling(a la The Return Of The King).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.