Not All Who Wander Are Lost (a Star Wars/Lord of the Rings crossover), The Repost -- Updated 7/11 ??

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mr. P, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    In November 2000, I began the story known as Not All Who Wander Are Lost, as a round-robin. It was based on the idea of a SW/LOTR crossover, and eventually JediGaladriel/FernWithy joined and we, as a team, wrote what is now a 369-page (in my Microsoft word file) story. Unfortunately it wasn't finished, and I was pulled away from fanfic stuff for about a year and a half. Coming up soon for me is my second semester of the senior year, which translates into "slackoff from schoolwork time". So... I want to bring this story back from the dead.

However, I need time to re-aquaint myself with the story, and where we were going at the time that I lost track of it. So... I'm going to be reposting it, and by the time that we're at the part of the story that is how far we've gotten, I'll be back in the swing of things.

The posting schedule will be: Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. So you can expect three posts per week, except when I'm away...

This was my original post (not a story post):

OK, here's the deal:

It's a SW/LOTR crossover!
    It's a round-robin!
    Anyone is welcome to write, so long as they have read LOTR (that's a pretty obvious requesite)!
    Talk to the other writers! That way, we can actually plan something...

I'm considering making it a rule that you can't post two story posts in a row without someone else story posting in between them, but I'm not sure about that one... depends on if we have enough people. If there's only two writers, then it'd make it pretty hard, but if there's three or four or five (or more) then it can be used.

I don't have a policy on killing characters; we can figure that out later on. Come on, people; I don't want to have to write this on my own; let's get this fic going!

Feedback on my post would be nice, too.

So I'm going to start this week off by posting the original post now... of course, before each post I'll say who wrote it, when it was written, etc.

So get ready for Not All Who Wander Are Lost!!

--Mr. P
  2. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Originally posted by Mr. P on 11/30/00

Not All Who Wander are Lost
    A round-robin by Mr. P and JediGaladriel

Book I

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

"We're almost at Coruscant," said Ric Olié. The blue-black blotches that were characteristic to hyperspace travel swirled and spiraled round outside the cockpit. Anakin stood next to Olié, mesmerized by the spectacular show. He had never seen anything like it on Tatooine.

"What's Coruscant like?" asked Anakin. "I've heard things, but... "

"You'll see when we pull out of hyperspace," said Ric. "It's one big -- "

"How do you pull this ship out of hyperspace?" Anakin interjected. He looked around, and was surprised to find that no one else was there. Just a moment ago, he was sure, they were here. Perhaps I've been here longer than I thought... They must have gone off to check on something. Why isn't everyone here? From what I've heard... Coruscant is spectacular ?- why would they miss seeing it from space?

"We just pull back on this lever her," replied Olié. He pulled back on the lever, and the starfields were serene, without all the ships and vehicles that moved around and about some of the more populous trade hubs and capital systems. Before them stood a planet.

A beautiful, shining blue orb of glory.

What could have happened? Olié sat there, mouth widening. A drop of saliva fell out of the corner of the mouth, and hit him in the hand. He suddenly woke up as if from a dream, and closed his eyes and lowered his head. A moment later, he opened them and looked out the viewport again. He seemed to break out of a trance. "Your highness! Master Jedi!" Olié called over the comm. "We have a... small problem... "

Anakin was startled at Ric's reaction to the planet Coruscant. This... this was it? Where were all the spaceships and tall buildings? They are all probably on the other side of the planet... thought Anakin.

"What is it?" asked Qui-Gon Jinn, running into the room. "Oh, my... "

"What's wrong? We're at Coruscant, aren't we?" asked Anakin. "The capital city is on the other side of the planet, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid that that is not the case, Anakin," said the Queen. "This... this is not Coruscant. Not at all."

Not Coruscant...

"I'm not picking up any technology on the planet," said Obi-Wan. He was sitting at the computer terminal, doing scans of the planet. "It's not on any of the charts, either. I have a bad feeling about this... "

"No technology?" asked Panaka. "Then why don't we land; they won't be a problem for us, if there are even intelligent beings in this system."

"Interesting enough, I feel thousands of force-sensitive beings on this planet. I cannot place their species. I have never encountered anything like this before."

Perhaps it will make him forget young Skywalker... thought Obi-Wan. "I feel it also, Master. The Dark One."

"We'll have to land," said Ric. "The hyperdrive motivator burned out when we pulled out of hyperspace."

"Watto... " said Anakin. "It must have been him. It would be so like him, too." He looked up at everyone's puzzled faces, and he concluded: "Watto probably gave us a bad hyperdrive. It sent us here instead of Coruscant."

"If what Anakin says is correct," said the Queen, "we will have to land and fix the hyperdrive."

One giant land mass dominated the dark side of the suspect planet. One long coastline followed the western edge, nicked with bays and harbors. Forests spanned the expanses in some places, in others, the sky was pierced by mountains, others, covered with barren deserts. "Where do we land?" ask/>
  3. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Bringing this up to the top... hopefully I'll post another post tonight...

--P
  4. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Wow, this thread had been started that long ago??? I remember reading it long before LOTR movie came out, but since then I've reacquainted myself with the books numerous times and even moreso appreciate this story. I love that you're reposting and thirlled to think we may get more???

Thanks Mr.P!! :) :)
  5. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    I missed out reading all of the first one and I really look forward to reading it now from the start! ;)

Thanks for reposting this one Mr. P! :)
  6. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Sounds like fun. I wasn't registered back then, so I haven't read this yet.
  7. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks, guys! :) I've decided that I'll post the next post now, since I won't be around next week (vacation time! :D) to post...

Also, to clarify: this story is not finished. We're about half-way through with it... before I start working on it again, as a way to get back into the style and mood that I was when working on this with JG (who is still welcome to re-join the team :) ), we're re-posting it... when we get to the point at which we stopped before, I'll pick up the writing from there.

So here's the next post! :)

Originally posted by Mr. P, on 12/2/00

"We're going to need to go scout out the area," said Qui-Gon. "We need supplies; we also need a working hyperdrive."

"Well, you're not going to get it," said Panaka. "They don't have any technology, at least nowhere near our level."

"Well, we might as well find out about the planet and its inhabitants," said Qui-Gon. "We might find some materials we can fix the hyperdrive with."

"I can fix anything... " said Anakin. "If we can just get materials, I can piece it together -- "

"We just have to get ready," said Qui-Gon. "Come on Padawan. You're coming too. Turn on the cloaking shield when we leave."

Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master placed the extra food capsules in his belt, and said, "Obi-Wan! Are you ready?"

"I'm coming, Master!" Obi-Wan called from the other room.

Qui-Gon left their quarters, and just as he walked out the door to the common area of the ship with its barren shining metal walls, he was stopped by Captain Panaka. "Mater Jinn," said Panaka. "The Queen wishes to know about this planet. She wants to know about its people, its environments. She wishes you to bring her handmaiden with her, Padmé."

"I will not bring her with me this time. On Tatooine, it was dangerous enough ? here, we don't even know if the air is breathable yet. We cannot risk it."

"The Queen wishes it."

"It is only a handmaiden... perhaps it would be good to have an extra companion. She can come. But we have to go in robes, not jumpsuits. We have to keep our identities secret while we observe."

"That's assuming that there are intelligent beings in this system," said Panaka. "There's a chance that there isn't."

Anakin came running in, taking them both by surprise. "Master Qui-Gon... " whined Anakin, panting. "I want to come, too."

"It's too dangerous," said Master Jinn. "We don't know what's out there. We know nothing at all. It's just too dangerous. I don't want to put you in danger when you don't have to."

"But Master... I know what I'll need to fix the hyperdrive! I've seen Watto do this to other people... I know what he does to it. All we need is a little -- "

The Council won't let me train him... thought Qui-Gon. He is too old. This might be my only chance. "Sure, you can come along. We have an extra set of Jedi robes that you can wear."

Anakin was taken aback by Qui-Gon's sudden change of mind. But why argue?

We're going to have to be careful, said the tall man.

They speak Westron... thought Legolas. He was watching the people through the foliage from a safe distance, and the bird that he had seen was gone. But these people interesting enough ? they wore a dress that he had never seen, and they spoke in a dialect that he had never heard before (though still understandable). Should he approach them?

Yes, Master.

Where is there a place where we can acquire supplies? the girl asked.

"Where is there a place where we can acquire supplies?" Padmé asked. She eyed Anakin; the robe he was much too large for Anakin, but not so large as it dwarfed him. He looks so small in that...

Qui-Gon looked around, and felt through the force to where the force-sensitive beings were. There were three main places that he felt ? off to the east, more towards the south-west and westward. The forest was full of creatures, some of them dark-natured, and other leaning more towards the light. There seemed to be packs of the dark an/>/>
  8. Darthina_Christine Jedi Master

star 4
    OoO A LOTR/SW crossover? sweet! (I've never read it before as I also wasn't registered *all* the way back then)

9. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
  11. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Those orcs are terrible. They'd better be on their way. ;)
  13. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The next post:

Originally Posted by JediGaladriel

Anakin didn't know what an Orc was, or an yrch, or a wood elf, for that matter. He hid when he was told to hide, but the only thing he was really thinking about was that this was the best smelling place he'd ever been. The air made him happy, which was weird. He mostly took breathing for granted, but here, it seemed like a privilege.

Anakin and Padmé had run together for the cover of one of the low trees, scooting under the branches at the same time, and now they were huddled there. Anakin kept leaning over to sniff the leaves and the soil and the green stuff that grew on the trunks of the trees. Padmé was peering sharply into the clearing, her hand hovering near her hip, where a blaster would be, except that she was unarmed. Anakin hoped she wouldn't forget that last part.

"What is an Orc, and why are we hiding from them?" she whispered through clenched teeth.

Anakin shrugged.

"I see no danger here -- "

Anakin drew in a sharp breath and scooted further under the branches, pulling Padmé with him. All the sudden, all the good smells and pretty things didn't matter. Something made him feel like there were bugs crawling all over him. A second later came the ugliest war whoop he'd ever heard.

Padmé gasped against his hand.

Trampling through the forest, destroying everything they could reach, was a band of... things, eight of them. They were malformed things with sharp teeth, and they carried metal shields that looked like they got a lot of use. Every shield was painted with a bright red eye.

It was staring at him.

A bit of motion in the leaves made him look up and away from them. The wood-elf had climbed a tree right behind him, and he was drawing an arrow out of his quiver, completely silent. He moved like a Tusken.

Anakin tapped Padmé's shoulder and pointed up. She shook her head in a frustrated way, which Anakin didn't understand.

An arrow whistled down, striking the last Orc in the small band, sinking between the plates of his armor. The others turned to fight. Arrows rained, and two more fell.

The Orcs fanned out, and began beating at the undergrowth, swinging broad swords of some dark metal. Anakin drew further under the bush, but there wasn't much more room. An iron shoe stomped in front of the greenery, and he saw the shadow of the sword above him. Without saying anything, he moved so that he would be above Padmé. Maybe he wouldn't be much of a stop, but maybe she wouldn't get hurt as bad.

Then he heard a buzzing sound from the trees to the right. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon leapt from a bush, lightsabers drawn.

Between them, it didn't take long to decimate the remainder of the band. After a moment, the forest was silent again, and the lightsabers disappeared. Padmé wiggled out from under him, looked at him, then looked away again. She looked embarrassed or maybe angry about something. He didn't know what it was.

She crawled out, and Anakin followed her.

"Are you both all right?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Sure," Anakin said. "What were those things?"

Something dropped in front of him, then the wood-elf was straightening up. He was looking at Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon with frank interest. "You fight with the light of the Silmirils themselves."

"The band was small," Obi-Wan said. "And they had not seen us. We need not have engaged them."

Legolas drew up stiffly. "I will not suffer Orcs destroying my father's realm."

Master Qui-Gon put a hand on each of their arms. "There is little use in debating the wisdom of actions already taken." He turned to Legolas. "All I can assure you is that there is no magic in our weapons. But I must ask you not to discuss them with others."

Legolas didn't look convinced about the magic, but he nodded. "Very well. We should move on. That was a scouting party. The army will be moving through shortly. You'll not have time to come back the way you came."

"They are claiming that territory, beyond the path?" Obi-Wan looked alarmed, and Anakin realized tha/>/>
  14. Lianna Jedi Master

star 4
    I kinda like this. It is real entertaining. :)
  15. Jadis_Ionian Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad to see this being reposted! I look forward to more. :)

*Jadis*
  16. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks, everyone! This post was written by Mr. P:

It was a beautiful summer day on Tatooine. The sun was shining, it was not humid, there was no wind, and the air conditioning in Watto's shop was running full blast. It was sweltering hot outside, and Watto relaxed next to the air conditioning equipment that Anakin had put together just a week ago, in heaven. Shmi worked out back, doing the inventory. Anakin had started it before he had been... freed by that swindling farmer, who Watto had more than enough reason to believe wasn't a farmer.

The doorbell of the shop rung, and a man in a dark cloak walked inside. Watto flew over to him, batting his wings in the dry summer heat like a drunken fly. It was too hot out, and the bright light from outside hurt his eyes; Watto couldn't think straight...

«Good day to you!» greeted Watto in huttese. «What can I do for you?»

"There's not that much," replied the man. At least, Watto thought he was a man. "The question is, rather, what did you do for me."

"Did? I cannot think of something that I've done for you... " said Watto, circling the man. He couldn't see under the hood. The voice sounded vaguely familiar, and was menacing and cold. "Do I even know you?"

"Yes, you do," said the man, pulling back his hood. Watto looked on with shock ? the man had a tattooed face, and horns protruded from the top of his head. He had red eyes, and needed dental work.

"Oh! M'lord! I cannot believe that I didn't recognize you," said Watto, moving away from him. He suddenly had a sort of primal fear of this man, and could only look on in horror.

"You recognize me, now?" asked Maul.

"Why yes, of course -- "

"Did you sabotage the hyperdrive, Watto?"

"Yes... at least, it should be. I don't do that much technical work ? the boy usually did -- "

"Well, it does not matter. Was the homing beacon properly installed?" Maul looked into Watto's eyes, and Watto saw a fire in his eyes that told him what would happen to him if it was not.

"I believe so... as I said, I do not do that much mechanical work."

"You're going to have to, with the boy gone."

"Of course. But it might have burned out with the rest of the hyperdrive when they pulled out of hyperspace... "

"What is the frequency?"

"I do not know... I'll go find it." Watto sped off to the corner of his shop, and pulled out an old, worn book. He flipped through a few of the pages with his own scraggly handwriting, and found it easily. He wrote it down, and came back, handing it to Maul, and then going back to a safe distance immediately.

"I most certainly hope that this works... for your sake," said Maul. "This was my backup plan in case they escaped. If it does not work, then my Master will be very displeased, and may be forced to come deal with you himself."

"Yes... yes, m'Lord. I would want nothing of that sort to happen. You can trust me that it is working."

"Well, my trust had better be well placed," said Maul. "If it is not, I'll deal with you first, before my Master does."/>
  17. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Yay! It is being reposted as well!
  18. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Another lovely addition! :)
  19. Niobiie-of-Belfalas Jedi Knight

star 2
    "What a pathetic life form." :D Poor Leggy, he doesn't know what he'd getting himself into. ;) This is really cool, I'll definatly keep an eye on this. I like the idea of Leggy thinking lightsaber are connected with Simarils, that's very cool Mr. P & Co.!!!

-Nio
  20. Satoshi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I like it! I've never read a SW/LOTR crossover before but this one is very interesting, I can't wait for the next post!
  21. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Those were great! I hope to see them engage those Orcs eventually though! ;)
  22. Bellyup Jedi Master

star 4
    Boy oh boy...

I am a HUGE fan of both Star Wars and LOTR, and this is fantastic so far!! Keep up the posts-they are great!
  23. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Interesting story. When is it going to be updated again? :)
  24. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hi Jeff!

Sorry guys... I've been really sick and I've just been away from the JC a lot lately. :(

I'll try to get a post up tomorrow night but school is killing me!!!

--mr. p
  25. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    "Well, hello, children," [face_laugh] ! OMG when Legolas said that phrase all I could think about was Chef, in South Park. Imagine Legolas with Chef's voice :D

Anyway I am soo very grateful that you're re-posting this mr.P! I've been longing for the rest of it for some time but I also haven't had time to re-read it. This is a most welcome compromise :)
    So please do post as soon as you wish!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.