main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not All Who Wander Are Lost (a Star Wars/Lord of the Rings crossover), The Repost -- Updated 7/11 ??

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mr. P, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Can't wait for more.

If it is not too much to ask (and even if it is, please do it anyway :)) please go to the Fanfic Writer's Resource page and look at a post that I did in a thread by NeonStar about a SW/LOTR crossover. :) I would really love some opinions. [face_pleading]

2. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Just found this thread (because I'm following Shezan, heehee)--I can't wait for more; it is great! LEGOLAS!!!

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Awesome jobs as usual!!

B_I_E: And I do NOT like the way that "person" treated my poor Legolas...it was so wrong....

LOL... Don't worry... If I remember correctly, Grimbeorn treats Dwarves the same way... ;)

4. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Mr.P will be back soon all! :D Up!

5. Niobiie-of-Belfalas

Niobiie-of-Belfalas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2002
    Up up up.

-Nio

6. neila_nuruodo

Aug 3, 2002
    I wanna postie! Waah! :_|

7. menilma

Aug 25, 2001
    Er... OK so I thought he'd be back soon. *looks around worriedly*
    MR.P WHERE ARE YOU?! :_|

Uhm... you see, we all REALLY like this story :D Feel the pressure [face_devil]

8. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi everyone! I just got back late last night, and have been recovering from one of my best weekends in recent memory. I'll be getting a post up later tonight!

--Mr. P

9. Mr. P

Apr 1, 2000
    And here's the next post! It's by Mr. P.

Anduin rushed past them. Its swift current pushed reeds and other debris through the rocks and eddies; the east wind blew across the river, spraying refreshing water across Padmé's face, and she sighed. Finally, they were across. It had taken hours upon end to cross the river; the 'horses' that they were given had kept slipping on the stones that riddled the Old Ford. "That was fun, wasn't it?" said Padmé. "You know, riding on stinking animals with fleas and being bumped up and down for hours on end?"

"I do not know what means of transportation they are now using in Gondor, young one, but here, this is the way we do things. Grimbeorn most probably gave us no saddles since I am an elf; elves ride bare-back. He just put two and two together."

"I thought it was kind of fun," said Anakin. "Not too much unlike an Eopie."

"An iopy?" asked Legolas. He was soaking wet, but was no worse for wear. He had been worse off before than wet on a summer afternoon with the sun blazing overhead.

"Never mind him," said Qui-Gon, brushing off some mud from his tunic. "He is young; he makes up names for things."

"I understand. We, the elves, very much enjoy making up names for everything that we see in the world around us. We have been doing so for millennia, since we arose out of Cuiviénen countless years ago."

"Did you make up these words?" asked Obi-Wan. He did not look too happy. He pushed the soaking and extremely muddy horse that he had been riding away, and was frantically trying to get all the mud off of him that he had picked up when he had fallen into Anduin multiple times. [i]Force! Why can't we just deal with [b]people[/b], not insignificant animals? Are there even humans on this world?[/i]

"No; not these. You would not understand my tongue; that is why we use the Westron."

"So that's what you call Bas -- "

"Where are we off to next?" asked Padmé. "Do we have to cross the mountains?"

"As a matter of fact," Legolas said, picking up his pack and lifting it onto his horse, "we just have to follow this road westward, and we will arrive at the Ford in time for the Council of Elrond."

"A road ? what if those Orcs control it?" asked Qui-Gon. "They control the road through the forest, logically, they should control the road through the mountains. This is the same road."

"It may be the same road," said Legolas sharply, "but it is on the other side of Anduin. It makes a great difference. It will most probably not be controlled. But it is the only option at this point; we have been delayed more than enough. We must take the shortest path, and that is through the mountains. To go through them, not along a road, would be too perilous, and the Mines are controlled by the servants of the Enemy and Durin's Bane, we believe. I would not wander into the deeps of Moria for anything, nay, even for all the gold of Erebor, of which my people deserve a part."

"What will be in Imladris?" spoke up Obi-Wan. "Will there just be elves?"

"Mostly elves, I believe," said Legolas. "But I cannot be too sure. I have never been to Imladris; neither has any of my family in four hundred years."

"Four hundred years is a long time," said Qui-Gon. "Is Imladris most likely to change much from that time? I suppose it was a far ancestor of yours who went there?"

"No; actually, my uncle died only about a month or two ago in a skirmish with Orcs of the Dark Tower."

"A [i]month or two ago[/i]?" asked Anakin. "How old do you guys live, anyway?"

"No one yet knows," said Legolas. "We must go soon. The sun is already starting to descend, and we must make it to the foothills before night; we must find shelter. These mountains are crawling with Orcs and many other much, much worse things."

10. Niobiie-of-Belfalas

Oct 15, 2002
    "A month or two ago?" asked Anakin. "How old do you guys live, anyway?"

Ah, out of the mouth of babes. What an innocent question. How does, "Forever unless we get tangled up with you stupid mortals!" sound, kid?

-Nio

11. Dagobah_Y

Dagobah_Y Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    LOL

Obi Wan's going to get so disappointed when he meets the humans. :)

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Great post. Loved Anakin's question about Elvish lifespan. [face_laugh]

I also happen to share Padmé's view of horses. They're beautiful creatures, but I don't care for them as a means of transportation at all. :p

13. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Have you any idea how long I have resisted visiting this thread, in the certainty that I did not - do not - have time to get embroiled in another irresistable tale - but I have a deep and abiding love for Tolkien's Middle Earth and his exquisite characters, and the prospect of watching Obi-Wan and Aragorn in tandem is just too much to resist. So here I am - just barely having scratched the surface so far, but thoroughly intrigued already. Nicely sketched and plotted, with intriguing glimpses of what is to come.

I'll probably lurk a lot - in the interest of time-saving - but I'll definitely be reading.

Well done!

CYN

14. MYSTIC_KNIGHT

MYSTIC_KNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    I was going to check quickly. But I´ve read it all and I can´t wait til next part comes up. The story is so good.

15. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Good post. I like Qui-Gon's explanation of eopies. :)

16. Mr. P

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks! This next post is by JG...

It wasn't getting any better, Obi-Wan decided.

He wasn't accustomed to being as on edge as he was in this place. He thought of himself as able to live by his wits, as not needing constant company, as not being overly tied to technology. Why, as a child in the Temple he had even fantasized about finding a world totally un-invaded by technology. He would show them a few simple things, then teach them about the Force, and...

Well, it had been a child's dream. The reality was different. This Legolas not only wasn't waiting to receive wisdom, he treated "mortals" almost contemptuously and certainly didn't think anyone in the group had anything to teach him. To Obi-Wan's chagrin, so far, nothing had occurred to him to change the elf's mind.

Qui-Gon often walked ahead with Legolas, trying to learn inconspicuously about the world. Obi-Wan would have liked to talk to him more, but he understood the reasoning. Aside from the practical chance to learn, it stood to reason that they should keep Legolas from standing back, taking a good look at them, and thinking too deeply about them.

The children had created their own world. The boy Anakin had jumped into their story with abandon, and now was creating so many stories of adventures on their "island" that Padmé had found it necessary to make one up about how their father had given up on making him stick to perfectly true stories. He'd just winked and laughed, apparently unconcerned about putting their cover in danger. Obi-Wan was willing to give him some credit for creativity ? he'd managed to tell the entire story of his race without mentioning any technology, and had created a few features of the island that could roughly account for some oddities ? but it would have been altogether better if he'd simply kept his mouth shut in the first place. Padmé didn't speak as often, but when she did, she had a cutting tongue that tended to draw all of Legolas' attention. He wondered how she had survived in the position of a handmaiden, which required her to be silent and unobtrusive.

Obi-Wan was becoming impatient and temperamental. He wanted to have a long, uninterrupted conversation with Qui-Gon (though he suspected that, with Anakin in their lives now, such things would be a rarity on any world). This all seemed ill-advised. What about the others? The ones back at the ship? Qui-Gon had refused to contact them by communicator, even in secret, and Obi-Wan could find no reason for that.

Legolas came to a stop. They were about midway between the river and the mountains, in the foothills, and the sun was setting, sending the rocky shadows grasping toward them. "We'll stop here," Legolas said. "I see nothing more convenient ahead."

Obi-Wan let his pack roll off his shoulders, and sat down on it. Qui-Gon smiled at him. "You seem tired, son."

"I [b]am[/b] tired, M? my father."

"I'm not!" Anakin chirped. "Come on, Padmé, let's get firewood." He led the girl away. Obi-Wan couldn't help glaring at him, though he managed to suppress the urge to snap at him. Where in the heavens was this coming from?

Qui-Gon looked at him analytically, then glanced at Legolas. "Legolas, my friend? would you mind allowing me to speak to my son alone for a moment?"

Legolas bowed solemnly. "Among my people, such conversations are held in high honor. I shall absent myself for one hour." He slipped away into the growing shadows.

Qui-Gon waited until he was sure that they were alone. "You're troubled, padawan."

"Yes. Of course I'm troubled."

"I am sorry, Obi-Wan. I've been remiss, not including you in my thoughts."

"Am I that transparent?"

"To me, perhaps." He sat down on a rock beside Obi-Wan. "What have you been considering, these past several days, padawan?"

"I am uneasy, Master. There is strong power in this world. Some is disciplined, but some? "

"Yes, I've felt it."

"It's put me on edge." Obi-Wan tried to guard the tone of his voice, to sound cool and reserved. To himself, he sounded like he was making excuses. At the

17. DarthCuppa

DarthCuppa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    This is absolutely terrific! Obi-Wan's resentment of the changes wrought in his life by Anakin's arrival is so much better shown than anything in TPM! You dive into this story as into a whole new world. Bravo!

18. menilma

Aug 25, 2001
    "I am tired, M? my father."

"I'm not!" Anakin chirped.
    Erk what an annoying child! I suspect I wouldn't be able to stand Anakin for more than one day...
    Nice posts, though I think Obi-Wan should have had the selfcontrol to not do such a stupid thing with the commlink.

Good to hear that your weekend was nice mr.P :)

19. Niobiie-of-Belfalas

Oct 15, 2002
    This was one of the best posts yet!

Legolas bowed solemnly. "Among my people, such conversations are held in high honor. I shall absent myself for one hour." He slipped away into the growing shadows.

I can hear it now...

Elrond: Where were you last night. This is the seven-hundredth night in a row.
    Elrohir: Aw, Dad, I was just at another party.
    Elrond: You are grounded.
    Elrohir: Oh yeah, and as long as I'm going to be in trouble, here's a note my teacher gave me last millenium for you.
    Elrond: Ok, no girlfriend or parties or internet for a thousand years.
    Elrohir: Awwww...
    Elrond: You too Elladan.

8-}

-Nio

20. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Glad I was able to catch up on this story. I thought it was great. I can't wait for more.

"Legolas doesn't suspect anything, does he?"

"He suspects, with my help, that you have some intolerance for the greens we ate this evening." -[face_laugh]

21. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Erk what an annoying child! I suspect I wouldn't be able to stand Anakin for more than one day...

Them's fightin' words, menilma! ;)

Obi-Wan is excessively annoyed with Anakin, so yes, when in his POV, Anakin is annoying. Of course. So if he annoyed you there, I guess I can take it as a compliment. :)

Thanks, everyone!

22. MYSTIC_KNIGHT

MYSTIC_KNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    I love it. The mysterious fog that lies over the whole story. And Legolas that are so tolerant with them all.

23. neila_nuruodo

Aug 3, 2002
    Great post need more!
    LOL@Niobiie-of-Belfalas
    and...a rose for the author (since I just learned how to do this! :D )
    @}--->----

24. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm having Legolas withdrawl. :(

25. Mr. P

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi everyone! The next two posts were written by Mr. P!!

"I told you it was a bad idea to go towards the mountains!" whispered Rabé. The three handmaidens that had accompanied Amidala from Naboo were walking down a small dirt path that led alongside the river, behind their guide, who was riding a strange four-legged animal.

"Well, there was a definite possibility that there was a civilization in the mountains," said Sabé. "Civilizations often arise off rivers coming out of mountains ? the mountains provide protection. And I [i]did[/i] see something from far away. Those tunnels... " She kicked a rock into the river, and looked up towards the clouds. A ray of late afternoon sunshine pierced the ceiling of clouds, and it landed in the river. It didn't look quite as foreboding now as it had looked the previous night.

"Well, we went towards the mountains, only to go back again," said Eirtaé. "And we lost two days ? we could be much, [i]much[/i] further south now than we were before if we hadn't taken this stupid little detour of yours."

"Well, there's just as much of a chance that the Queen went through the mountains as along the river. I don't know why we didn't think to send a group west as well," shot Sabé.

"Well, it's too late now," said Eirtaé. She sighed and adjusted her pack as their guide fell back, and Sabé walked up to his side.

The guide looked down; he was very tall. "Wherefore were you going, into the mountains, by chance? Not Moria, I assume? It seems most strange that you would be entering the Deeps. Only the bravest would dare enter the mines of Moria in recent days. [i]Hithaeglir[/i]," he said. The guide caught himself as he realized that these girls did not know the elvish names of the mountains, and corrected himself: "the Misty Mountains, they have never held anything but terrors and fears for years uncounted." He looked back at the mountains and shuddered.

"West, sir. We were hoping to find a civilization where we could find refuge from our problems at home."

"What sort of problems, young miss?" asked the guide.

"An invasion," said Sabé. "We were forced to flee to gain help elsewhere. We ended up... here."

"A believable story," said the guide, "but I see that there is more to it than what you say. What is your name, young one?"

"It is [b]I[/b] who should be asking the questions, not you, sir. It is not wise for one to follow a stranger blindly into the wilderness. What is your name, where you come from?"

"I am called many things in many different places," said the man, thinking. "In my homeland, where I was born, and by my kindred, I am known as Halbarad, and in some places, as a Ranger, and in some, not even known at all. Perhaps, some day, I will be known where I am deserved... "

"I take it that you come from far away?" asked Rabé, walking up.

"No, 'tis not far away. I come from many places ? across the sea, over the mountains, southwards, northwards, and in the east." He sat up straight, and looked ahead. Down a few more hundred yards were the eaves of Lothlórien, the dreamflower. The trees were in full bloom, golden leaves graced the beautiful woods, and the elanor covered the floors of the forest from end to end.

"What is this place, Lórien?" asked Eirtaé. "Is it a city, or a country perhaps?"

"It is the land of the [i]Galadhrim[/i], the tree-dwellers," said Halbarad. "Perhaps, one could consider it a city and a country all at once. A kinsman of mine, Aragorn son of Arathorn, has found peace here before. I am seeking him (and still am), and was hoping to find him, when I found you. If your story is truthful, the Lord and Lady of the Wood will take up your case, and offer you hospitality for the duration."

"For the duration of what?" asked Sabé.

"For the duration that they consider just. You will consider it just, as well."

"They're coming 'round the bend, soon, Rúmil," said Haldir. "They do not look evil."

"No, they do not," said Orophin, looking up from his position across the tree. "And they have a kinsman of Aragorn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.