Not All Who Wander Are Lost (a Star Wars/Lord of the Rings crossover)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mr. P, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Not All Who Wander are Lost

A round-robin

?We?re almost at Coruscant,? said Ric Olie. The blue-black blotches that were characteristic to hyperspace travel swirled and spiraled round outside the cockpit. Anakin stood next to Olie, mesmerized by the spectacular show. He had never seen anything like it on Tatooine.

?What?s Coruscant like?? asked Anakin. ?I?ve heard things, but...?

?You?ll see when we pull out of hyperspace,? said Ric. ?It?s one big-?

?How do you pull this ship out of hyperspace?? Anakin interjected. He looked around, and was surprised to find that no one else was there. Just a moment ago, he was sure, they were here. //Perhaps I?ve been here longer than I thought...// They must have gone off to check on something. //Why isn?t everyone here? From what I?ve heard... Coruscant is spectacular ? why would they miss seeing it from space?//

?We just pull back on this lever her,? replied Olie. He pulled back on the lever, and the starfields were serene, without all the ships and vehicles that moved around and about some of the more populous trade hubs and capital systems. Before them stood a planet.

A beautiful, shining blue orb of glory.

//What could have happened?// Olie sat there, mouth widening. A drop of saliva fell out of the corner of the mouth, and hit him in the hand. He suddenly woke up as if from a dream, and closed his eyes and lowered his head. A moment later, he opened them and looked out the viewport again. He seemed to break out of a trance. ?Your highness! Master Jedi!? Olie called over the comm. ?We have a... small problem...?

Anakin was startled at Ric?s reaction to the planet Coruscant. This... this was it? Where were all the spaceships and tall buildings? //They are all probably on the other side of the planet...// thought Anakin.

?What is it?? asked Qui-Gon Jinn, running into the room. ?Oh, my...?

?What?s wrong? We?re at Coruscant, aren?t we?? asked Anakin. ?The capital city is on the other side of the planet, isn?t it??

?I?m afraid that that is not the case, Anakin,? said the Queen. ?This... this is not Coruscant. Not at all.?

_Not Coruscant..._

?I?m not picking up any technology on the planet,? said Obi-Wan. He was sitting at the computer terminal, doing scans of the planet. ?It?s not on any of the charts, either. I have a bad feeling about this...?

?No technology?? asked Panaka. ?Then why don?t we land; they won?t be a problem for us, if there are even intelligent beings in this system.?

?Interesting enough, I feel thousands of force-sensitive beings on this planet. I cannot place their species. I have never encountered anything like this before.?

//Perhaps it will make him forget young Skywalker...// thought Obi-Wan. ?I feel it also, Master. The Dark One.?

?We?ll have to land,? said Ric. ?The hyperdrive motivator burned out when we pulled out of hyperspace.?

?Watto...? said Anakin. ?It must have been him. It would be so like him, too.? He looked up at everyone?s puzzled faces, and he concluded: ?Watto probably gave us a bad hyperdrive. It sent us here instead of Coruscant.?

?If what Anakin says is correct,? said the Queen, ?we will have to land and fix the hyperdrive.?

One giant land mass dominated the dark side of the suspect planet. One long coastline followed the western edge, nicked with bays and harbors. Forests spanned the expanses in some places, in others, the sky was pierced by mountains, others, covered with barren deserts. ?Where do we land?? asked the Queen.

?We should probably land where there is a large concentration of the force-sensitive beings,? said Master Jinn. ?Perhaps in that forest over there, near the river along the west coast?? The river, the only one that could be seen from space, jutted inward from the coast and cut northward, east of a range of mountains and to the west of a great forest.

?I see where you?re talking about,? said Ric, and the ship descended towards the surface of the planet, and within minutes, the ship was cloaked beneath the trees of Mirkwood.

2. Jedi_KnightMariah Jedi Master

star 4
    What LOTR? I like the title.
  3. jedipati Force Ghost

star 3
    Never heard of anything called LOTR.
  4. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    LOTR... The Lord of the Rings?

--Mr. P
  5. Jedi_KnightMariah Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    cool story. //runs off to read LoTR which is gathering dust on her shelf so she can keep up
  7. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
  8. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmmm, interesting! I've read LOTR three or four times now, it's my favorite! (Next to Star Wars, of course.)
    So this story starts not long before the Council of Elrond at the beginning of FoTR? Are all the same characters gonna still be there? (Hobbits, dwarves, Gandalf, and the like?) And the elves were the Force sensitive beings the Jedi felt, right?
    I'd be interested in helping out, but I should know where you want to go with this first, so I don't mess up your story. :)
    Sounds cool!
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Very intriquing start Mr.P. Haven't read LOTR in awhile but this sounds very interesting.

//Perhaps it will make him forget young Skywalker...// thought Obi-Wan---loved that line.

I'll watch this thread with great interest.

10. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks - thanks a lot. I rarely get this many replies to my fics in such a short period of time... I'm going to write the next part, which will kind of set it off in the general direction that I wanted it to be when I came up with the idea, and then it'll be up for grabs.

--Mr. P
  11. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    this looks REALLY good...but i haven't read LOTR, im actually going to B&N tomorrow to get the Hobbit and LOTR. maybe i can read really fast... :)
  12. TheEmperorsFoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I?m really looking forward to writing something for this; suppose I better examine my Tolkien reference book :)
  13. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    WHich book do you use as reference? I just use Lotr, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion (which really, IMO adds a lot to your knowledge of Middle-Earth, which I look forward to using in similes/etc.), and maybe unfinished tails a little. there isn't much more other than stuff that Tolkein didn't write...

--Mr. P
  14. TheEmperorsFoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've got a book called the Tolkien Companion, pretty much all you need to know about middle-earth, and the object to first reveal to me that LOTR (and in fact, all middle-earth stories) was not an original work by Tolkien. That made me unhappy for some time. Anyway, no need to fume when the story is so convincing and, well, amazing.
  15. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What's this? Lotr isn't Tolkein's original idea? What is this? Who originally came up with the idea?

EDIT: I forgot to say taht there's not going to be my second start-off post tonight (I think) since I have to write a piece for my other fic (The Facade of Amidala - http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=201460) or else my readers will get really mad at them for keeping them going on a cliffhanger for another day...

--Mr. P
  16. TheEmperorsFoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ah, ?tis sad for me to have to break this news to any who did not know before. But this is true: Tolkien did not come up with Middle-earth himself. In fact, I?m still not clear as to how it came about, but I will quote (extensively) from the companion I have mentioned.

?Tolkien?s work in the fields of Early English Literature and Comparative Mythology had prepared him for working with antique manuscripts, but the Annals of the Shire, four volumes transcribed from copies of the original tomes compiled by the renowned Hobbits Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, were written during the Third Age of Middle-earth long ago; and they were far older than the Celtic, Germanic and Icelandic manuscripts with which Tolkien was then accustomed to deal. Nevertheless, he set himself to the deciphering of one of the four volumes, the Red Book of Westmarch, and by 1936 he had successfully completed the translation ? and the preparation for publication ? of the first (much smaller) section of the Red Book.
    ?The resulting book, called by its publishers The Hobbit, but by its translator There and Back Again (in deference to the known preferences of its author), appeared in 1937 and was a runaway success, as these events are termed in the publishing world. Yet no one (beyond a small coterie of academics at Oxford) was then aware that it contained translated historical narrative, as opposed to inventive children?s fairy tale fiction in the Andrew Lang tradition. For, reluctant to reveal his true role as translator, Tolkien had instead tacitly assumed the pose of ?author? and did not abandon this until the publication, seventeen year later, of the sequel to The Hobbit. But in the Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, as the sequel is known, he made it abundantly clear that the entire work consisted chiefly of translated historical narrative from the pen of Frodo Baggins (heir of that Hobbit who had written the earlier, smaller section), with some amendments by contemporary sources and additions by later hands. The Lord of the Rings was then revealed as an historical document of great age and immense significance.?

?So The Lord of the Rings, until recently, remained the lynchpin of Tolkien?s translated work. Few will argue if I describe it as one of the most commercially successful books of all time. So powerful is its attraction, even for those not overly concerned with linguistics or history or other arcane subjects, that it is still widely believed ? even by those who have read Tolkien?s frequent disclaimers ? to be an original work, a marvellous invention on the part of a distinguished and gifted scholar.?

These are exerts from J E A Tyler?s foreword to ?the new tolkien companion?

This should dishearten a few of you.

But several questions have risen in my mind from this information that have not yet been answered. For example, does this mean all of the events in LOTR actually happened? Are Hobbits real? If not, then who actually wrote the manuscripts given to Tolkien? Where are these manuscripts now? (I suspect his son, Christopher has them).

I do know this: All of Tolkien?s Middle-earth translations, are not direct translations. They could not have been in the form we know them to be in when he first translated them. My reason for thinking so are that he admits to creating Tom Bombadil from his own mind, in the foreword to FOTR I think, and that he went back to The Hobbit to change Bilbo?s encounter with Gaulumn once he began writing LOTR (in the first publication, Gaulumn let Bilbo go, and GAVE him the ring, but this was changed when he realised the depravity of Gaulumn).
  17. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Whoa! Is taht for real? If he actually translated tehm... waht about The Silmarillion - is that translated, too? I think I heard something about htis, reading in the appendix to Lotr... wow. If that's for real, then that's really wierd.

--Mr. P
  18. TheEmperorsFoot Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Silmarillion was a rough translation of the first volume (I think) he was given, and the Red Book (TH + LOTR) was the fourth. Which leaves a descepancy of two volumes as yet, untranslated, unless the Silmarilion has information from all of the volumes excluding the Red Book.

I'm still not sure about the details, but if you search around some sites, you'll find other people mentioning it.
  19. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Your'e so good, Foot! Great presentation, but I think it might be confusing to the folks who haven't read it yet.

For those who haven't read LotR, this stuff comes out of the introductory stuff that's at the beginning of most editions of "Fellowship of the Ring." Like Lucas' "Journal of the Whills," the Red Book is a fictional book that Tolkien pretends to be translating from at a much later date (in fact, it's the book that Frodo and Bilbo purport to be writing, which is left in the care of their hobbit descendents in the Westmarch of the Shire). It's the conceit of the book to pretend to be a genuine history, but Tolkien made up Middle Earth, hobbits, all the languages he was allegedly "translating" from -- he said on a few occasions, in fact, that he made up Middle Earth to be a home for the languages he'd created as a hobby -- and most of the story (other parts of it are derived from Northern European mythology, for the most part). It's an honorable literary tradition to do this, but if you read the Letters and so on, and look at the way Middle Earth was formed, you know that it's just JRRT playing his professorly jokes.
  20. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "For those who haven't read LotR, this stuff comes out of the introductory stuff that's at the beginning of most editions of "Fellowship of the Ring." "

yes. This is what I was talking about.

"It's the conceit of the book to pretend to be a genuine history"

I read somewhere that Tolkein was trying to make up a mythological past for England, like other ancient cultures have, like the Norse.

"he said on a few occasions, in fact, that he made up Middle Earth to be a home for the languages he'd created as a hobby"

I've heard htis various times.

"other parts of it are derived from Northern European mythology, for the most part"

Yes. If you've ever read "Tolkein's Ring", it goes into a lot of this type of stuff.

"you know that it's just JRRT playing his professorly jokes."

What kind of jokes? I don't see that many...

I'm working on that post right now! It'll be up in a half an hour (hopefully).

--Mr. P
  21. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    ?We?re going to need to go scout out the area,? said Qui-Gon. ?We need supplies; we also need a working hyperdrive.?

?Well, you?re not going to get it,? said Panaka. ?They don?t have any technology, at least nowhere near our level.?

?Well, we might as well find out about the planet and its inhabitants,? said Qui-Gon. ?We might find some materials we can fix the hyperdrive with.?

?I can fix anything...? said Anakin. ?If we can just get materials, I can piece it together--?

?We just have to get ready,? said Qui-Gon. ?Come on Padawan. You?re coming too. Turn on the cloaking shield when we leave.?

Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master placed the extra food capsules in his belt, and said, ?Obi-Wan! Are you ready??

?I?m coming, Master!? Obi-Wan called from the other room.
    Qui-Gon left their quarters, and just as he walked out the door to the common area of the ship with its barren shining metal walls, he was stopped by Captain Panaka.

?Mater Jinn,? said Panaka. ?The Queen wishes to know about this planet. She wants to know about its people, its environments. She wishes you to bring her handmaiden with her, Padme?.?

?I will _not_ bring her with me this time. On Tatooine, it was dangerous enough ? here, we don?t even know if the air is breathable yet. We cannot risk it.?

?The Queen wishes it.?

?It is only a handmaiden... perhaps it would be good to have an extra companion. She can come. But we have to go in robes, not jumpsuits. We have to keep our identities secret while we observe.?

?That?s assuming that there are intelligent beings in this system,? said Panaka. ?There?s a chance that there isn?t.?

Anakin came running in, taking them both by surprise. ?Master Qui-Gon...? whined Anakin, panting.. ?I want to come, too.?

?It?s too dangerous,? said Master Jinn. ?We don?t know what?s out there. We know nothing at all. It?s just too dangerous. I don?t want to put you in danger when you don?t have to.?

?But Master... I know what I?ll need to fix the hyperdrive! I?ve seen Watto do this to other people... I know what he does to it. All we need is a little--?

//The Council won?t let me train him...// thought Qui-Gon. //He is too old. This might be my only chance.// ?Sure, you can come along. We have an extra set of Jedi robes that you can wear.?

Anakin was taken aback by Qui-Gon?s sudden change of mind. //But why argue?//

_We?re going to have to be careful_, said the tall man.

//They speak Westron...// thought Legolas. He was watching the people through the foliage from a safe distance, and the bird that he had seen was gone. But these people interesting enough ? they wore a dress that he had never seen, and they spoke in a dialect that he had never heard before (though still understandable). Should he approach them?

_Yes, Master._

_Where is there a place where we can acquire supplies?_ the girl asked.

?Where is there a place where we can acquire supplies?? Padme? asked. She eyed Anakin; the robe he was much too large for Anakin, but not so large as it dwarfed him. //He looks so small in that...//

Qui-Gon looked around, and felt through the force to where the force-sensitive beings were. There were three main places that he felt ? off to the east, more towards the south-west and westward. The forest was full of creatures, some of them dark-natured, and other leaning more towards the light. There seemed to be packs of the dark animals, roaming the forest. //They must be nocturnal.// ?We can most probably--?

?Are you servants of the Enemy or are you free men?? a mysterious voice said.

?Who are you? Show yourself,? Qui-Gon said. ?We know of no enemy.?

?I am Legolas, a wood-elf,? said Legolas, stepping out of the shrubbery. He was tall, almost as tall as Obi-Wan, with pointed ears and blonde hair. He almost looked like a large, non-green version of Yoda. He carried a bow and casket of arrows on his back, and had strange bright blue eyes. ?You do not have leave to pass through my father?s territory. _Who are you_ is the question that
  22. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This is *soooo* tempting... :)

Good job!

(One plot point we... er, the people who write this... should figure out is how badly damaged the ship is, other than hyperdrive -- otherwise, why not just airlift the Ring to Orodruin and get it over with, once they understand the situation? Is it a technical reason or a moral one?)
  23. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, I'm not sure how bad the ship is damaged... I was toying with a plot idea (PM/email me about it, I don't want to reveal it to everyone yet) in which the ship wouldn't work anymore due to something. And a technical reason, I suppose why they just couldn't fly the Ring to Orodruin is that Sauron would know about it, and send the Nazgul. I assume that the flying steeds are around already, but just aren't being used yet at the begining of LOTR, and even the Jedi aren't immune to the Nazgul's power.

Another plot point would be that Orodruin is a pit of fire, in a way - kind of like the theory on how Anakin gets all the injuries that make him have to wear the Suit.

--Mr. P
  24. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    wow now im even more excited about reading LotR!!!!!! this is wonderful, Mr. P! i should really read your other fic too.

unfortunately, i'll be sitting this fic out. but i'll still read! :)
  25. Alderaan21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh man, I agree with JG, it is *way* too tempting to get involved with this fic now. I'm new to the Tolkien world (I finished LOTR about a month ago and am currently in the process of finishing The Silmarillion) and adore it and would love to be in on this-- but I have way too much trouble keeping up with the fanfics I have right now without jumping in here. ;) I might try to get in on the story planning, though, but highly unlikely anything on writing. So I'll probably just sit and enjoy this fic-- which looks very, very promising. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.