Not All Who Wander Are Lost (a Star Wars/Lord of the Rings crossover)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mr. P, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
    In the books Arwen is SO minor a character, and so's Glorfindel, that I don't mind at all that Jackson took some creative liberties. It's not like LOTR is a bible, after all.

As for the horses, it always amazed me how playful they could be with their powers in things that were meant to be serious. Horses, just for the fun of it, to make it more dramatic? :D It made a very powerful image though.

I still haven't seen the movie though, maybe it's not at all how I've imagined. But, hehe, I still have the joy of seeing it to look forward to! Nice... ;)

2. Lisse Jedi Knight

star 3
    *quiet voice*...I liked the movie...

I agree with NamelessAlien. Arwen and Glorfindel are both minor characters in the books. Even if that particular scene bothered some people, I don't think that it's all the important. I was actually very impressed at how closely the book was followed in the majority of the movie. Maybe it could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse.
  3. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I just heard another zinger, possibly a mistake in observation, so I'll give it a chance -- does the movie actually include the Fellowship wistfully watching Sam and Frodo leave? (Someone with a crush on Legolas was wishing she had him for a lunch date, and I made an offhand comment about not taking him down to the ocean, for fear he'd be compelled to sail away forever, and she was horrified, since he'd already seen the ocean and watched while Sam and Frodo went away across it. I am willing to bet that it was actually the Anduin, but I can't think of a way one could mistake whether or not people are aware of a furtive, invisible escape.)

My problem is that Arwen has a place in the LotR universe, and it's not the one she was put in. I couldn't care less about Glorfindel, but it seems that putting Arwen in that place was trying to draw attention to the Aragorn/Arwen relationship, which JRRT explicitly left out, except inasmuch as Frodo could see of it. And of course, I dislike her presence on the posters, if she is, indeed, a minor character. How effective is Eowyn going to be if we've already seen a warrior woman?
  4. jedipati Force Ghost

star 3
    NO! They don't watch Sam and Frodo go over the river. But Aragorn lets Frodo go, at the end, the three left (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli) see them disappear into the trees.
  5. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    You mean it's not like they (Frodo and Sam) sneak off? It's that Aragorn lets Frodo go, and knows for sure that that's where they went?

That's screwed up.

--Mr. P
  6. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yup, Aragorn let Frodo go - but that's really another minor point, doesn't mess up too much. Actually I was quite impressed with what Merry and Pippin did too.

Yes, I just came from seeing it. :D Gandalf was magnificent in the Shire scenes, I really enjoyed every word he said. Great work. Isengard looks absolutely awesome! Actually it was filmed so that I had often the queasy feeling in stomach, as if I was flying! And the two statues taht everybody's seen from trailers, and the sceneries are truly wonderful. And the balrog - when I think of what has been said of him, and what controversies there have been - I've never been able to imagine him, but there he was said to be a creature of shadow and fire (or whatever the wording should be in English), and he truly was.

I won't say any more, for fear of spoiling the anti-spoilees. :)
  7. JediFinrod Jedi Master

star 3
    I actually did enjoy the movie too, but I took it with the same grain of salt that was required when I saw the latest movie version of Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park" (which took more than a few liberties!): it's fan fiction. PJ's movie was a very good piece of fan fiction. It's just not what we would expect if Tolkien himself had made the movie, but we all anticipated that. Right?
  8. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I never anticipate it, but I always hope.

And basically, I disagree with the whole H'wood philosophy on book adaptations (yes, there are things that need to be changed for the difference between a book and a script, but, no, they don't tend to be character names and plot elements). I don't think that an adaptation of a movie ought to be an interpretation of the book -- more of a moving illustration, which lets audience members leave with all the same possible interpretations as readers. I can accept (granted, with poor grace) some things being cut here and there for length, and cosmetic changes (like changing "Red" from a redhead to Morgan Freeman in "Shawshank Redemption," since his looks mattered in neither book nor movie), but pointless alterations... that bugs me.
  9. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
    Don't know, I've seen some movies that followed the books too closely, and they were tedious. Things that work in the book just do not in the movie. Some changes ultimately make a better movie.
  10. empress of justice Jedi Master

star 4
    Gaah!!! I reread the trilogy AND reread this story...and now I want more!!! Why do I do this to myself????? :_|

EOJ
  11. Aralna Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked the movie, though I saw it before I read the book. But I went home that day and started the book. Finished them in 2 weeks. :) IMO, they were both good, but different. And I've seen much worse adaptations. (Lion, the witch, and the Wardrobe is coming to mind. And no, I don't know why, except I hated it.)

Anyway, I really only posted to up this. :D It can't sink too far. Not allowed.

Edt: Guess I didn't need to up it. Oh well.
  12. empress of justice Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Riin Jedi Knight

star 1
  14. AngelSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, this crossover is great! You guys managed to cover almost every details in TLOR and I love it. GREAT STORY!

BTW, do you guys have any idea how this is going to end yet??? (I don't want details as to how it's going end, just want to know that you guys have an ending, making it more exciting to read, for me that is.)

I'm a little confused about all the visions that Ani has. I want to know what they all mean. I know I lack Patience but I can't wait to know if his visions are foreshadowing...hmmmmm....

Anyways, great great great job!!! POST SOON!!!!
  15. Jadis_Ionian Jedi Master

star 4
    Up

I've seen the movie 3 times, and I was pretty happy with the interpretation, although I did miss Tom Bombadil and the barrow-downs. Galadriel was kind of weird. The only part of hers I like is when she says, "I pass the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel." The rest of the time she felt almost...evil to me, which is not at all the impression I got from the book.

On the whole, I felt that the good points outweighed the unsatisfactory ones for me.

Can't wait for a new post here!

*Jadis*
  16. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh yes, Galadriel was pretty weakly done IMHO, and her Dark Queen speech was the worst. I mean, does one have to wave hands and look like a scarecrow to be beautiful and terrible? It was nothing like Gandalf revealing his power.

I have a question though: what is a goblin, is it the same as Orc, or something different? I think they said something like, Orcs were crossed with goblins, to get Uruk-Hai (maybe I misunderstood), but in some places in the book I understood that they were one and the same? Anybody, enlighten me please. :p
  17. Cate Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed the film. I thought that Jackson did a brilliant job in what was an extremely difficult task, especially with thousands of fans of the books waiting to criticise. Yes, there were parts of the books left out that, in a pefect world, would have been included, but if they were the film would have been the whole nine hours just for the one book!

I honestly wasn't that bothered with substituting Arwen for Glorfindel and giving her and Aragorn's romance a bigger space. It actually worked quite well in providing back story for the history of Gondor's Kings, and in showing Aragorn's part in it. That scene in the gardens of Imladris was very well done, I thought, and actually drew upon information contained in the Appendix of the book.

Overall, there was really only one part of the story that I was angry with them for leaving out, and that was the friendship between Gimli and Legolas. There are thousands of years of racial hatred between the Dwarves and the Elves, and the way that Gimli and Legolas overcomes that has always touched me.

Here endeth my rant
  18. empress of justice Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know about the orc/goblin question, but I do know that I would like more story!

:Empress realizes she should practice what she preaches:

speaking of which...off to my own stories. [face_blush]

EOJ
  19. Jadis_Ionian Jedi Master

star 4
    The goblin/orc thing confused me too. I had the impression that they were the same, but if so the comment regarding the breeding doesn't make sense.
    Regarding Legolas and Gimli, I agree completely. I also think they should have shown Gimli's change of heart towards Galadriel, which, IMHO, could have been done by leaving in the scene where she (Galadriel) gives the gifts to the Fellowship. It's not even that long (at least I don't think it was, from my recollection of the book).
    But that's just my opinion.

UP

*Jadis*
  20. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh yes, that too, Gimli's "crush" was one thing that I absolutely loved in the book, it added so much of the ancient Knight quality to Gimli. :p Duh... Well, 2 movies still to go, who knows. But somehow I have doubts. Non-humans (and non-elves) aren't allowed to love - not in LOTR, not in SW.

Now, khm, could we have more story? :D I'm still looking forward to Maulie - bring his vanity down a notch! LOL

I just went to LOTR official site, IMHO there was a cute brotherly resemblance between Boromir and Faramir, and yet such a gloom on B's face, where F was bright. Good photos. :)

-Red
  21. Riin Jedi Knight

star 1
    AFAIK Gimli will have more screentime on the DVD, including his 'reaction' to Galadriel.

Isn't it quite some time since we last had a post here...
  22. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Gads, this conversation is making me feel squishy about the movies...

Anyway, I'm not at all sure when the next post is happening. I can't remember whose post it is. I guess I could just put one up, though I owe one elsewhere, and am moving tomorrow...
  23. empress of justice Jedi Master

star 4
  24. NamelessAlien Jedi Knight

star 3
  25. jedipati Force Ghost

star 3
    I have news. The movie got thirteen nominations, including best picture, best director, best supporting actor, and a whole lot of others.... I just thought you'd like to know.

Also, do you realize that it's been two months since we've had a story post??!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.