main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Not enough...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    PT-Underworld type Characters. Maul, Dooku, Grievous, Bail Organa, Alderaan, Separatist council.
    OT-Biggs.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Dooku is not an Underworld character. :p

Nice inclusion of Biggs. :)

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably should have put an , and not a .
    Anyway I meant a Bounty Hunter (Yes yes Jango, Zam but more), Smuggler, Criminal etc.
    Anyway Dooku and Maul, expanding one character to all 3 movies and getting rid of one would be best or Maul-TPM, Dooku in all 3 and Grievous in AOTC and ROTS.
    Can't really think of anything for the OT, so Biggs.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree. I think the way they did it had a point to be made. I simply wish that both Ray and Chris had been given the time to develop their characters more.

6. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I would have loved to seen more of Bib Fortuna and Dengar. I have read stories of these guys in books but I would love to see more screen time of them. Just for curiosity reasons. Like to see how Bib became Jabba's right hand man. It is funny that he did because he seems so timid and afraid in the movies that I ask myself, how did this guy get to be the Major Dommo of the biggest gangster in the universe?

Biggest meaning in popularity, not physical size! [face_dancing]

7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, and Tarkin

CoolyFett and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  8. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Maul, Grand Moff Tarkin, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Boba Fett

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Tarkin yes, Darth Maul yes, Kenobi had plenty of screen time. We needed more Boba, more Jango and more Dooku in the saga.

10. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Yes! As you can see from my avatar, Bail is one of my favorite characters (I'm not even sure why). Leia says "you fought with my [adoptive] father in the clone wars". Why didn't we ever see Obi-wan hanging out with the Organas? They're just people who kind of just pop straight into and out of the star wars saga.
    Overall I think one of the bigger flaws of the PT is that they had too many characters that we barely learned anything about.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's down to perception I agree more Ben would fit as would more Bail.

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Tarkin, Dooku, Obi-Wan and Biggs.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, definitely Dooku. He just got offed way too early in the film, and it sorta left the movie feeling without an obvious villain for a while, with Sidious still in the shadows and Grievous being kinda hard to take seriously. Other than him...maybe Jango Fett.

14. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    OT:
    1)The addition of scenes with important and/or potentially interesting Imperials like Tarkin, Motti, Piett & stormtroopers. Flesh out their characters so we gain more insight into their personal roles & beliefs(why did they join, etc) within the Empire and where they stand with Vader/Emperor/each other. Possibly insert new characters whose primary function would be to demonstrate the lure of the Empire or Rebellion & their muddled truths by switching sides.

2)The addition of scenes with Rebel Figures like Mon Mothma & other highly ranked members. Deepen their characters so we are more invested in their paths and are more aware of what they bring to the table in their fight against the Empire. Show the use of their personal skills and create backstories revealing how they ended up in their current places.

3)Perhaps show more of Luke's friendship with other Rebels other than Han and Leia. Nothing that would take too much screen time but have him hanging out with possibly Biggs in Tatooine, and them discussing with Wedge more deeply, just giving us something that would flesh them out more and feel more of Luke's sorrow at their deaths. Similarly, show Leia's own Alliance friendships, having her interacting with Mothma and other (possibly female?) characters. It would have been interesting to see a contrast with Leia's Alliance friendships with her bond with Luke/Han. Maybe Leia has close Rebels friends who would have something insightful to say about Han/Luke, maybe Leia's focus on taking down the Empire has given her little time for true relationships...

PT:
    1)The addition of scenes with Jedi Councilmen in particularly TPM & AOTC. Demonstrate their personal skills and personality flavors so we know what they bring to the table concerning the Order & during the war. Utilize them to contrast different viewpoints within the Jedi Order(With Mace, Qui-Gon...) and how those viewpoints evolve as the war goes on & Republic crumbles. Show more of their interaction(as well as other Padawan/Jedi knights of Anakin's age) with Anakin throughout the trilogy so we get more of a sense of how they coexisted with each other. More Mace/Yoda interactions would have been helpful to see how they operate differently and their big-picture thoughts about the war situation.

2)More Clone scenes to show their interaction with Jedi and their enemies to get more a sense of their complex relationship dynamic.

3)The addition of Sith scenes with characters like Dooku. Have him introduced in TPM as a disgruntled Jedi Councilmen, then follow his regression in AOTC as he enters the political realm and gets manipulated by Sidious. While we're at it, have more Anakin/Sidious scenes in TPM and AOTC to better follow Sidious's manipulation of Anakin and Anakin's own personal character regression.

4)Bail Organa, Mon mothma & other politicians interactions with Padmé, especially in ROTS so we see their mistrust of Palpatine developing and them planning for what essentially will become the Rebel Alliance foundation. Deleted scenes in ROTS were perfect at demonstrating the political dynamics.

In general, while I felt the protagonist and some main characters were given proper arcs in Star Wars(Luke/Anakin/Obi-Wan/Sids), both trilogies failed at developing important characters from all parties, whether it was Rebels, Imperials in the OT, politicians or Jedi in the PT.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I would have liked seeing a little more Dooku. He comes in during the last hour of ATOC , and then is killed 15 minutes into ROTS. It just had to be that way, but it would have been nice. I wish the scene with Obi-Wan hearing about the 'lost 20' was in there to give more insight about Dooku.
    I really enjoyed Qui-Gonn, he was great in 1 movie. As for the smaller characters, some times the fact that they have small screen time makes them appear more interesting than they are.
    I do wish Anakin and Obi-Wan and Padme had more screen time just as friend's, but that's a different subject perhaps.

16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    All those characters were deeply fleshed out in the EU. You can only fit so much into a film.

And for those of you that only want to see them on-screen, their legacies are currently being raped for profit on TCW so there ya go.

17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Darth Maul gets mentioned a lot, but I've never felt he was under-utilised or that we didn't see enough of him (like Dooku, for example). Maul was just a vicious Sith attack dog, there simply wasn't all that much to him to begin with, it was a smart decision to keep his appearances in TPM relatively brief. Yes, it leaves you wanting more, but that's part of why the character makes such an impact.

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    There are a few characters like that. Maybe we need a companion thread about 'less is more' characters.

only one kenobi likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

#1 - Darth Vader. Apparently 9-10 minutes of total screen time in SW/ANH. Yes, Darth Vader.

only one kenobi and MOC Yak Face like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was just about to say that Dooku is one of those "less is more" characters. Some mystery, a Force-load of ambiguity per second on screen, left me wanting so much more.

Then I got it from the EU and most of it (Yoda: DR being the lone exception in my consumption) is terrible, full of poor characterization that does a ton of damage while removing or at least seriously eroding a great deal of that oh so intriguing ambiguity.

I was going to say Dooku, but I guess I'm good with what I got.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    #2 Sidious. I've always felt that he was most effective as a shadowy figure who you know is there in the background, but who doesn't appear much. Too much of him and he loses his mystique and menace and becomes something of a pantomime villain.

only one kenobi likes this.
  22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Padmé in Revenge of the Sith.

Darth_Nub likes this.
  23. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Christopher Lee...and Darth Maul...when I read Darth Plagueis I wish the film developed these characters as much as that book did