Saga Not for Glory Bound: Lost & Found - Jedi, Zeltrons - Complete - Concrit_ok! - Nommed Best Series!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RebelGrrl, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Lost & Found
    Author: RebelGrrl
    Timeframe: inter-trilogy, five years after "Silence & Solitude"
    Sequel to: Silence & Solitude
    Characters: See Dramatis Personae
    Genre: Intertrilogy drama/humor
    Keywords: Jedi, Zeltron
    Summary: In which someone is lost, and someone thought lost is found.

Constructive Criticism Welcome!

Not For Glory Bound Chronology
    19 BBY - Silence & Solitude
    14 BBY - Lost & Found
    10 BBY - Visions & Dreams
    0 ABY - Waiting & Wishing

Lost & Found - Dramatis Personae
    Revek Faidhe (Jedi Knight, human male)
    Silence Faidhe (Jedi Youngling, human female)
    Nala Zoar (Smuggler Captain of the Twilight Queen, Zeltron female)
    Raanan Zoar (Zeltron male)
    Qui-Gon Jinn (Deceased Jedi Master, human male)

***** 14 BBY - Brigia - The Tion Hegemony *****

"Mom... Mom, wake up!"

Captain Nala, independent business woman and privateer, groaned and dug herself deeper into her bunk against the incessant pounding her thirteen year old son was giving the cabin door. She gave the slumbering lump next to her a hard nudge, and when it did not immediately stir, a sharper jab.

"Ow!" exclaimed a masculine voice, "I'm awake, I'm awake..." Sky-blue eyes peeled open with relunctance "Come on, Nala, he's your son." Revek ran his free hand over his face, rubbing away sleep and pushing back at long blonde braids.

"After only a couple hours' sleep, he's noone's son. Use your mystic powers and make him shut up..." she insisted in a drowsy grumble as the banging continued.

"C'mon, Mom! You promised!"

"And whose fault was that? You did promise..." the Jedi echoed with a humored grin. "Your species, your son, your problem." He jerked away the covers, exposing the Zeltron to the icy air, and gave her a gentle nudge towards the edge of the narrow bed. "Go on before he gets Silence to open the lock. She can do that now, you know."

"Shavit," the woman muttered, and pushed herself upright with a sigh. "You'll pay for this." she promised her companion with a glance over one bare magenta shoulder. She reached to pull her robe over her shoulders and shook her dark red hair free.

Revek laughed softly as he watched Nala stalk towards the door. "Don't I always?" He sank back into the mattress as she palmed the door open and crossed his arms behind his head.

The lady smuggler paused only to throw him a dirty look before she addressed the lanky youth standing before the open door. "Can't it wait, Raanan?" she asked as he dropped his hand and smiled up towards her.

"Aw, Mom!" He scrubbed at the back of his neck and shot an appealing look towards his mother. "You said we're shipping out tonight, and it's already noon!"

"Kriffin' hell," Nala swore, then reached down and grabbed for her discarded belt. Ignoring the pants that came up with it, she poked into a small pouch and pulled out a handful of credit chits. She thrust them towards the young teenager, "Here... take your commlink and stay out of trouble."

Raanan blinked his lavendar eyes in surprise, and then favored his dame with a bright smile. "You mean I can go alone? Wizard!" He scooped the money out of his mother's hand and pocketed it immediately. He started to dart off when he was brought up short by Nala's grasp.

She turned her son around by his captured shoulder and leaned closer to whisper, "Take Silence with you, and there's another twenty..." She flashed the bribe and a warm smile.

The boy eyed the extra credits dubiously, and tried to peer past his mother into the darkness of the cabin. "Um... S'alright with Vek?" he asked. His hesitation less borne of a relunctance to let the little />
  2. ZekksGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice plotline, I'm enjoying it so far. Was the beginning influenced slightly by a scene from The Lion King?
  3. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    :)Thank you! I haven't seen the Lion King in years, though I will admit to blatantly lifting Nala's name from that source. Any other influence was subconscious. :D
  4. MoeTharen Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw! [face_love] That was so cute! I liked how close Raanan and Silence are, adorable. :) Looking foward to more!! Please keep me on your PM list. :D

-Commander Tharen-
  5. PadwanKayla Force Ghost

star 4
    Hurray! A sequel already! Looking forward to seeing Silence in action now. Great start!=D=
  6. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked how conveniently Silence can be contracted to 'Sis'. ;) That's really the sort of relationship the two kids have got. Raanan was at the right age to appreciate a sibling and not deem one so much of a pest. At least, he was from my own personal experience. [face_batting]

There's plenty more coming! For the record, the PM list for this story is:

jpauln
    obsessedwithSW
    PadwanKayla
    Paegis
    MoeTharen

If anyone would like to be added, just let me know!
  7. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    :DYou just don't know how much stuff I've been sitting on... thanks!
  8. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wonderful job so far! I look forward to more! =D=
  9. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you! There will be more very soon!
  10. jpauln Force Ghost

star 3
    It's good to see this started so soon! I loved seeing that not everything had changed; Nala and Rev are the same as always. It's cools seeing the kids older too. Something tells me that Raanan's trip into town won't go as smoothly as it should.
  11. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    O:)Why, whatever gave you that idea?[face_whistling]

Me, I'm worried about his pink hide when all this gets found out. ;)
  12. Peagis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yay! New posts and story!!!!
  13. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_good_luck]Yup! I am a slave to my creative outlets. [face_alien_1]

Author's Note

Speaking of which, just for fun and in search of inspiration for a series title, I pulled up a Gaelic-English dictionary and ran 'Faidhe' through it. [face_laugh] Hah! I've even managed to be on-topic for St. Pat's Day!

faide: nf.ind. length, degree of length; a. longer, longest; farther : na 's faide sìos, farther down.

Since 'h' is not a letter in Gaelic and is used as an indicator instead, I don't know if faide is exactly faidhe or not, but it's close enough that I am going to take the liberty. ;)

Silence Long? Longest silence? Hmmm... [face_thinking]

Anyway, a quick name meaning/pronunciation guide for the curious:

Revek: reh vek' - no meaning
    Nala: nah' lah - Successful
    Raanan: rah an' an - Fresh, New
    Faidhe: fay - see 'faide' above
    Camren: cam ren - from cameron, Bent Nose
    Fuhl: full - no meaning
    Breena: bree' nah - Fairy Land

What's funny is that when I was deciding names, I didn't look for their meanings. In fact, I'm surprised that so many actually -had- meanings!

Enough for now, going back to work out the next part of the story! [:D]
  14. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    I knew Revek wouldnt be able to hold out for long! Their relationship would be fiery /passionate with two strong willed people like themselves. Exciting yes, but it doesnt make for an easy peaceful coexistence. Padewans are always a little mischeivous and Silence seems no different. Great start Rebelgrl!
  15. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] At some point I will probably go back and write the turning point that occured in the 5 years this story skipped passed. However, Silence was demanding to do more than coo and look cute! [face_worried]

You've already seen one of the hot-button topics. Nala is definitely more 'laissez-faire' when it comes to child-rearing, and Revek's got himself into a 'She's the last of the Order!' snit, no thanks to a certain Tatooine Master not sharing his own secrets. ;)

Now I just have to think of a phrase that equals 'Mustn't twitch!' [face_thinking]
  16. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    Here we are, the second half and conclusion!

This story is shorter than the first one, but there's still more sequels to come.

4548 words!

Raanan's attention was pulled away from the mixed lot of spare parts by yet another insistant tug on the loose hem of his shirt. The youth looked down at the child with the fistful of fabric and cocked his chin in silent question. He was well aware that he'd signed up for the interruptions by bringing Silence with him, but if he heard one more word about...

"The blue glowing man is watching us again, Ra." Silence whispered, with a glance back over her thin shoulder.

And there it was again. Raanan was completely baffled as to the girl's insistance that some odd being was following them all over the marketplace. Every time he looked, he didn't see anyone watching, let alone someone who glowed in any color. It was no different this time, as he followed Silence's gaze.

"There's no one there, Sis, just like last time." He turned away from the display he'd been inspecting and hunkered down to the five-year-old's level. He rested his hands on her shoulders and worked to screen out the myriad sea of emotion flowing from all the beings around him to focus solely on the little girl. Her strong, familiar presence made the task easier, but he couldn't be entirely sure he wasn't missing something subtle. As it was, he found no fear or alarm in the child, just frustration.

Silence pouted at the young Zeltron, folding her arms stubbornly as the youth met her gaze. "There is too! Why don't you believe me?"

Raanan sighed inwardly, outwardly lifting a hand to stroke the girl's golden curls in an attempt to soothe away her willful expression. She ducked her head at the caress in a half-hearted effort to avoid it. "I believe you saw something, okay?" he attempted to reason, "I just don't see it. Maybe we ought to go back."

The girl's chocolate-brown eyes flew wide at his last suggestion and she shook her head quite emphatically. "No!" She made a valient attempt to suck in her lower lip and rested her small hands on Raanan's arms. "Let's not go back yet, please?" she implored, and tried to shift the topic, to boot. "Can we get a fruit Fizz, Ra?'

He should take her back to the ship. He should tell Vek that Silence was seeing things. However, he just couldn't bring himself to insist while under the influence of that liquid brown gaze. Instead, he found his hand sliding to his credit case entirely of it's own accord. "No more of this stuff about the strange man? I mean, unless he scares you or threatens something?"

Silence nodded in determined assent. "Okay, Ra."

Against the muted whisper of his better judgement, Raanan closed Silence's small fingers over a few shiny credits and pointed to a stand across the causeway. "There's someone selling Fizzes over there. Get me a juba-berry one, and one for you, and come -right- back, Sis."

A bright smile blossomed over the child's face and she dropped a tiny kiss on Raanan's cheek before darting off, "Right back!"

The youth rubbed his cheek with a laugh. He watched her make it to the other side of the road before he turned back to picking through the array of used and potentially useful gizmos.

"And stay out!"

"With pleasure!" Revek Faidhe shot back at the door sliding closed to the ostensibly -shared- cabin. The lock indicator flashed to red from green. He stalked over towards the curved bench in the main crew hold and tossed down his armful of clothing and blankets. He fumed in a decidedly un-Jedi-like manner as he sorted through the wadded array and neatly folded both garments and bedding. "'There is no passion: there is serenity.' Hah! Not on this ship with -that- woman!" he muttered to himself as he worked.

He vowed to himself that rabid gundarks wouldn't drive him back into that bed, and blatantly ignored his nagging memories of how many other times he'd made that promise, and failed to hold to it. His former master would be ashamed of him if he could see him now./>
  17. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Awwww... that was just adorable. Very Lion King-esque. I like Silence and Ra's interactions now that they're a bit older. Good job! =D=
  18. PadwanKayla Force Ghost

star 4
    This was wonderful. I loved that you added Qui-Gon here, like guardian angel. Silence looks like she will still be trouble. Great job and I look forward to more. =D=
  19. MoeTharen Jedi Master

star 4
    "The blue glowing man is watching us again, Ra." Silence whispered, with a glance back over her thin shoulder.

And there it was again. Raanan was completely baffled as to the girl's insistance that some odd being was following them all over the marketplace. Every time he looked, he didn't see anyone watching, let alone someone who glowed in any color. It was no different this time, as he followed Silence's gaze.

Uh-oh that's not good. Sith, literaly. ;)

"'There is no passion: there is serenity.' Hah! Not on this ship with -that- woman!" he muttered to himself as he worked.

Lol. Little bit of a lovers spat, eh?

"In a manner of speaking, youngling. I was once what your father is, but there are different 'others'. Others who would harm you." The child's ignorance of the other remaining Jedi was a fact that Master Jinn carefully noted.

Ooops. And there I thought ole Qui-Gon was a Sith.

Nala nodded her assent, pausing only long enough to squeeze Revek's arm in reassurance. "We'll find her."

"Find who?"

A weak little smile crossed Silence's pretty face as three sets of eyes turned on her in surprise. "Um... hi, Father?"

Lol! That kid's gonna be trouble! [face_laugh]

Could you PM me when the next sequel is up? :D

-Commander Tharen-
  20. jpauln Force Ghost

star 3
    Great little chapter in the Silence saga! I loved her being able to see Qui-Gon. This was a great father/daughter brother/sister story with a little han/leia spice thrown into the mix. I can't wait to see where you go from here!
  21. Peagis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great chapter please keep me on the PM list for the next one!
  22. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Loved the addition of Qui-Gon! [face_love]

A wonderful story! =D=
  23. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    QuiGon is a very busy ghost! I think he's the real man behind the final death blow to the Empire with all his background work. ( Just look at some of the other post ROTS fanfiction he is involved in everything!)

I liked your section on Revek's situation with Nala and Silence and why he sometimes struggled with his current situation and his perception of himself as a Jedi. IT will be a reief when he finds out that the views on attachments have been changed athough he will probably come to terms with that on his own before that time.

I love these characters and your stories please keep them coming!
  24. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    Luna_Nightshade: Thank you! I enjoyed writing this. [face_peace]

PadwanKayla: Padawans are the reason why so many Masters developed grey hair. ;) Thanks!

MoeTharen: [face_laugh] Oh, yes, very much of a lover's spat, and Silence is only warming up. I will definitely PM you!

jpauln: I have kinda been wondering why Qui-Gon didn't stir up the situation Obi-Wan and Yoda created with keeping Luke and Leia ignorant and untrained for so long. I created my own reason. ;) Silence's Force strengths will be quite different from Luke's. I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Peagis: Thanks! :) I will definitely PM you.

VaderLVR64: I figured the ole maverick had to stir up trouble somewhere! Thank you!

obsessedwithSW:
    I agree that Qui-Gon was very pivotal, much more so than he is given credit for. I loath the way 'Force Ghosts' were downplayed and dismissed in the pro-fic. I agree that living Jedi shouldn't build a dependency, but with all the destruction Palpatine wrought on Jedi knowledge, these presences would be the next best thing to holocrons. I think Luke would have made less mistakes if the pro-fic writers had treated them correctly.

Thank you! I wanted to use this story to show a lot of inner development since it was low on physical action. I think it's important to show that any Jedi that survived Order 66 would be facing a vastly different way of life and have to make adjustments and sacrifices accordingly.

I plan on keeping the same PM list for the next story. If you would like to be added or removed, let me know!

PM List:
    MoeTharen
    obsessedwithSW
    Paegis
    jpauln
    PadwanKayla/>
  25. RebelGrrl Force Ghost

star 4
    Upping for official title change!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.