main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Not happy, Channel 9.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by HawkNC, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    As most of you probably know, Channel 9 has been showing the Star Wars movies every Tuesday (theoretically). I've watched them so far because I like my Star Wars and I can tolerate TPM and ANH quite easily. However, my personal favourite - Empire Strikes Back - is next in line. I turn on my TV tonight, and what do I see?

That's right, cricket! Of all the sports in the world to show instead of Star Wars, they choose possibly the most boring (beaten only by lawn bowls). Now I don't mind a bit of cricket every now and then, but when they advertise that they're going to show something every Tuesday, I like them to show it every bloody Tuesday. I already know Australia's going to win, I don't need to watch the cricket.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I'm aware this makes me sound like a huge nerd. Luckily, I am a huge nerd, so it all works out nicely.

2. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Surely you have them on video?!

3. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Worst. Channel. Ever.

4. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Surely you have them on video?!

But our videos are almost detroyed from excessive use! :p

5. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Shame nine, shame!

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I did have them on video, but when my VCR ate my copy of ESB, I decided not to tempt fate by trying the other ones. [face_plain]

7. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Funny how VCRs do that. Its a CIA conspiracy!

When I was wee high, our family's copy of Bambi got chewed up, and we almost had to get councelling :p

8. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I think it was not last tuesday but the one before... SW wasn't on coz of something else... But I've forgotten what the something else was...

Either way, I don't know how you could watch any movie when it's on TV... Don't the ad breaks **** you??

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have three copies of the trilogy - original, special edition and special edition widescreen! And I'd buy them on DVD if they were out! :_|

E_S

10. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    So far they seem to be showing them every second week, instead of every week as originally stated.

Can't imagine what they intend to achieve by this, but anyway... ;)

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Frankly I'd rather a re-airing of Spaceballs over enduring ad breaks during ESB...

12. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I agree, I couldn't stand to watch them with ads.

13. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Spaceballs!!! Haven't seen that movie in a while! :D

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I agree HawkNC.

Channel 9 are total rubbish, They have no idea what the viewers want. The South West version of Channel 9, WIN TV is the same. They advertised Enterprise tonight only to replace it with cricket and they also replaced the Star Wars movies with reality TV rubbish. Why advertise the damn programs when they aren't even going to show them in teh first place?

Channel 9 (And all other Australia TV stations) all hate Sci-Fi for some reason. Channel 7/GWN just can't get it right with airing Futurama, Channel 9/WIN TV stuff up Enterprise and Farscape. Sci-Fi is a very popular genre yet these TV stations can't get it through their thick heads.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    even worse when they replaced Sapranos with cricker!!!! how ****ed up is that!!! cricked it worse than watching grass grow and watching paint dry

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah well WIN TV cut The Sopranos half way through a season and it hasn't been on since.

17. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Never mind ESB - they chucked The Batchelor for the cricket!

I don't know why anyone would bother watching with all the ads anyway.

Heh-heh... Thank the Almighty for videos and VCDs.

18. run

run Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    I, too, was under the impression that this was an 'every other week' thing.

You have to understand, of course, that it is by showing the cricket - and it's myriad beer-soaked commercials - that 9 makes enough money to then show classic movies such as the Star Wars OT.

But then, I hate cricket, so:
    DOWN WITH NINE! BURN THEM ALL!!

19. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Don't diss the cricket.

not that it's better than star wars, of course :p

anyway, have you ever seen the WIN news?

"today a duck crossed the road in Lynton, near Ballarat. Crowds of up to 3 came out of their houses and lined the streets to watch the spectacle...."

20. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    The cricket was a good match anyway. 'twas worth it.

The ads on WIN tv are shocking
    "Better go to Wals!" and
    "mmm-mmm Matildas"
    //shudder

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    "mmm-mmm Matildas"

heh, if an ad showed in Canberra with that tagline, it would have an entirely different meaning. [face_mischief]

22. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    There is a certain something about watching the movies with commercials and on free to air that makes it great. Perhaps it's that you know that thousands of others are watching and appreciating it at the same time.

Last week when ANH was on I watched the last 20 minutes on the overhead TV at the local pool hall in Dandenong road. Though my friends wish I hadn't. For the rest of the night I was commentating on their pool shots, with advice like "Use the force... let go" or congratulating them with "Great shot kid that was one in a million!"

23. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I have three copies of the trilogy - original, special edition and special edition widescreen! And I'd buy them on DVD if they were out!

I have four copies already, can never trust a video player when they are hard to find on the shelves at the shops. :p

As for channel 9, at least they showed it. They didn't have to cause they showed them less then a year ago.

24. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    'sfunny. Channel 9 and Star Wars just seems wrong. It always used to be ten that aired them.

25. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Well this is the first time TPM and the Spec Eds. have been on free to air isn't it? Maybe 9 bought the airing rights to the SEs while 10 still has the originals. If that's how it works...?

Interesting they didn't air the extended DVD version of TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.