main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends NOT IN THEIR BOOTS - A Young Obi/Garen Story - REPLIES ADDED!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shaindl, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    This story was written to provide insight into the backgrounds of Obi and Garen for my story The Roads We Travel Shatter and Split, which is being posted on the old boards. I really like this little vignette though, and I thought I would post it here so it could get some more exposure. For those who have read it before thanks, and for anyone new, I hope you enjoy!

Italics indicates thoughts.

Not in Their Boots

Master Extasa never did find out where they got the small, wriggling creature. The two little initiates possessed the ingenuity that only those bent on making a mountain of mischief seem to possess ? something they had accessed in order to procure the little reptile that was now sleeping peacefully in a jar by the bed of their crèche mate Bant Eerin.

She smiled as she once again bit back the laughter that had threatened to erupt since this whole episode began ? she didn?t want either Obi-Wan or Garen to hear her. She was going to have to punish them, but she rather thought that the unexpected reaction to their harmless prank ? and the blow to their tender little egos ? was almost punishment enough.

And if she knew the young ladies in her care at all, they were going to get back at young Garen and Obi-Wan. She wouldn?t want girls mad at her. They usually turned out to be even more devious than the boys. She smiled at fond memories of her own youth in the crèche. She had been one of the more devious.

With that thought ? and the memories of the retributions she had paid on the boys she had been crèche mates with ? Master Extasa decided that the two little mischief makers had been ? and were going to be ? punished enough.

?I can?t wait to her scream!? Eight year old initiate Garen Muln?s eyes danced with mirth as he imagined the look that would soon appear on their friend?s face. He liked Bant, he really did, but girls were just?yuck. Besides, she had it coming ? she had called him a banthabrain yesterday.

His partner-in-crime, nine year old Obi-Wan Kenobi, snickered. He didn?t have anything against Bant ? she hadn?t called him a banthabrain recently ? but when Garen had suggested playing a joke on her, he had been more than willing to go along. He was kind of curious to see how high a girl could scream, which all of them would do when they saw the lizard he held. Besides, he knew how high boys could scream; he had been in the training room yesterday when Bruck had fallen on the balancing bar and hurt his...boys could scream high.

?Where?d you get it anyway?? Garen interrupted Obi-Wan?s pleasant memory.

His friend shrugged negligently. ?I needed it, and it just showed up. I don?t know where it came from.?

Garen didn?t bother asking any further questions. Even though he was only eight standards old, he had come to realise that for Obi-Wan, the Force just acted like that. It was just another part of Obi-Wan ? the Force would do things for him that it wouldn?t do for anyone else.

They were making their way to the girls? room, sticking to the shadows and moving carefully ? just like a Jedi Knight they thought ? and hoping not to get caught by one of the crèche masters. The girls were down at the showers, doing their nightly routine and this was the perfect time to sneak into their room.

They snuck in, and crept over to Bant?s bed. Garen pulled her blanket back, and Obi-Wan gently deposited the lizard in the middle of the mattress. They hastily pulled the blanket up and over the lizard, and smoothed it out as best they could. Fortunately, it seemed that Creepy ? as Obi-Wan had dubbed the little creature ? had decided to cooperate with their plans by keeping still under the covers.

The sounds of the girls returning froze them ? seconds that, as it turned out, were crucial to them.

For once they were able to move again, they realised they no longer had time to beat a hasty retreat without being seen.

They were stuck.

They looked around wildly for a hiding spot until Garen spotted the small wardrobe at the far end of

2. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :) Excellant the second time around!

3. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I read this when you posted it as part of your other story but since you are reposting I thought I would re-review! I thoroughly enjoyed this little flashback into the friendship between Obi-Wan and Garen. Garen is a character that isn't written about very much and you have done a marvelous job fleshing out his character. I love the friendship between the two and this little prank they played as children made for a delightful story. :)

4. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    This is still refreshing the second time around. :) Love prankster Obi and Garen, Shaindl. :)

5. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    This will be a collection of stories- right???

I still think it is very good!

6. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    :) I enjoyed this story a lot! It was really great!! he had been in the training room yesterday when Bruck had fallen on the balancing bar and hurt his...boys could scream high
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's good!! Great story!! Garen is an interesting character, and it was cool to see the two litte devils prank the girls. :cool:

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The second time round is just as adorable!

8. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I still love it! :D I really hope you're going to write more about those two little pranksters! ;)

9. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    That was really cute. I liked it. hope to read more of your stories. :)

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Shaindl That was adorable. I love Garen and Obi fics. I hope that there are more in the offing...

11. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi! Just some replies to your reviews...

OE - you always find time to reply - thanks so much!

Sheila - love the friendship between the two and this little prank they played as children made for a delightful story - thanks! Just think of all the trouble Jedi children could get into with those powers...

Suz - Thanks! I love your story BTW, even if I don't find as much time to review as I would like. You do creepy better than anyone!

P_R - This will be a collection of stories- right??? - weell...see note below - and thanks for the review!

Jess - Garen is an interesting character, and it was cool to see the two litte devils prank the girls. - he is and interesting character, and I thought (in the longer story I'm writing) it would be fun to explore the friendship he shares with Obi-Wan.

Kitara - thank you!

Nat - I really hope you're going to write more about those two little pranksters! - like I told PR - see below! :)

masterobiwankenobi - That was really cute. I liked it. hope to read more of your stories. Thanks so much! And **cough**lookatmysigformorestories**cough** :D

Diane - thanks for being here - you must relate since you teach little kids...

A lot of you asked if there will be more of these - and if I can come up with ideas, there will be. This one kind of sprang into my head fully formed, and was written in the space of a couple bus commutes to work, so I think I'll need to work a little harder for the next ones. If any of you have an idea for young Obi and Garen that you'd like to see, I'd be happy to hear it and maybe give it a shot. I do have another idea for a vignette in my head, so that might be up in a little while. Thanks for the reviews, all of you!

Shaindl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.