Beyond Not My Father's Son - A Luke AU - An unintentional epic - Updated 12/14/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Title: Not My Father?s Son
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Luke Skywalker
    Timeframe: Ten years post ESB
    Genre: AU, and now a short story :p
    Summary: What if Luke had made another choice after discovering the true identity of his father?
    Notes: Inspired by the song ?Not My Father?s Son? by 3 Doors Down

Not My Father?s Son

And I've bundled up all these fears inside
    And I've bottled up all of this pain
    And no one or nothing can take this away
    But I won't let it happen again
    Never again

Maybe I'm just crazy or the devil got inside
    But either way my soul is gone, And I'll end this all tonight
    The one hand throws the whiskey, and the other throws the gun
    As he cries out to the heavens
    I am not my father's son

No one could destroy himself with quite as much style as a Skywalker, Luke mused as he gulped down yet another drink. The music pounded in the background, but he was hardly aware of it; the alcohol had given him a pleasant numbness that was as addictive as the booze itself. He had discovered a decade ago that it hurt far too much to feel, and alcohol seemed as good a way as any to dull the pain. It was cheap and readily available, though perhaps more cowardly than just killing himself.

I am your father.

Funny how a few words could change your life, he thought, ignoring the interested glance of a lovely Twi?Lek female who had been giving him the eye for the last hour or so. He had heard the truth and it had set him free ? in a fashion. Leia had rescued him, without his right hand of course, and then he had thanked her by walking away from her and the Rebellion as soon as they landed. He had not even stayed long enough to get the hand that Leia had promised him. He had run as far and as fast as he could.

Luke Skywalker had run away from everything, including the Force that day. A string of false identities kept him free, free of the Rebellion, free of the Empire, free of his father?s frantic quest to find his stolen son. In those early days, before he discovered the pleasure and pain of drinking, the Force had helped him. Even with only one hand, he was still able to earn a living, though not always an honest one, he admitted to himself. At one time, that admission would have brought a touch of shame to his soul, but he was too far removed from that Tatooine farmboy to worry about such trivialities as a conscience now.

Without thought, he flexed his right hand.

Luke had even earned enough credits to replace part of what his beloved father had taken from him. He still did not like to think of how he had earned those credits, but he knew that even before that hand had been fused to his arm it had already been stained with blood. He sighed, sensing that he was about to fall into a period of self-pity. They always took him by surprise, though he thought that perhaps he should be used to them by now. They were a part of him, an inescapable dimension of who and what he was.

Ignoring the myriad of beings around him, he ordered another drink. When the barkeep scowled and hesitated, Luke gave him a look that hid him scrambling to fill the order. It took no manipulation of the Force to get his way, just a single, hard glance. He knew there was an aura about him, a dark and dangerous air that told others beware as clearly as any drawn blaster. Luke had cultivated it, nurtured it; he had earned it. Who needed the Force when you had a willingness to shed blood?

He never used the Force anymore, the stupor in which he spent many of his hours was sufficient to dull the Light in his mind to a dim memory of what it had once felt like to have the Force rushing through him. In a way, the Force was as addictive as any drug, though it was the one vice he was strong enough to deny himself.

You?re welcome, galaxy, he thought sourly. If only everyone in the universe realized what a big favor he had done them when he gave up his heritage. They would all be trembling
  2. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Eep.

Very good, I like it!

Poor Luke.
  3. PonyTricks Force Ghost

star 4
    OH MY! You turned Lukie into a drunken criminal? :eek: WOW! I'm impressed. I guess the good part is he has no idea Leia is his sister. But.... but you left Hannie-bear frozen? *Sobs*
  4. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Inara Force Ghost

star 4
    This is a really cool AU - a nice twist. Cool to see Arica show up (and it puts a whole other twist on the Luke and Mara relationship!!!). I'd love to see this expanded into more...[face_batting]
  6. pat_skywalker39 Force Ghost

star 2
    one question : is it a vignette or a story?

i'd love a story beginning like this
  7. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Dear pat,

I don't know. :p A plot bunny is nipping at my heels but I'm carefully ignoring it hoping it will go away.[face_whistling] Tell it to leave me alone!

Blasted carrots! [face_frustrated] Okay, I've got the second chapter almost finished, so I guess this is "officially" a short story now. :p

8. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    *secretly leaves a trail of carrots leading to Kim* [face_mischief]
  9. Feng_Huang Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_hypnotized] WOW. That was a blast. I liked Arica showing up at the end. I think I'll go buy some carrots...
  10. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Very nicely done! Can't wait till the next post.
  11. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek:

Luke! Ohhhh.... this is going to be an interesting reuinion...
  12. alexissteele Force Ghost

Eep! Poor Luke [:D]. And then you leave it THERE? :eek: In the immortal words of Mike Nesmith, I must quote: "You're evil" ;) Can't wait for more!
  13. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    No one could destroy himself with quite as much style as a Skywalker

Now that is an awesome line, and an awesome beginning. :cool:

What a fascinating concept for an AU! It's sad to see Luke this way, but still believable. This is certainly one of the paths he might have taken after Bespin. And being me, I especially love Mara's entrance. :p Definitely looking forward to seeing where you take this, Kimberley. :D
  14. RedGold Force Ghost

star 4
    oooooooo.... I'm game!
  15. aldocassidy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Fascinating premise (and great song to boot). I see this is an AU where Luke still hasn't lost that childish, whiny, side to him yet.

Please PM me when you update at your convenience. Thanks!
  16. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    ginchy Thank you! :D

PonyTricks It's fun to mess with Luke's mind. :p

ThePariah I'll take that as a compliment! ;) And thanks so much for the bunnies, they're following me everywhere! :rolleyes:

Inara Actually, it was incredibly fun to write Mara in this universe! :eek:

pat_skywalker39 Short story, the bunnies were relentless! [face_worried]

Feng_Huang My muse conspired against me and fed the bunnies... 8-}

Jade_Pilot Thanks! I hope you like it!

JadeLotus It will get even more so later on. ;)

alexissteele I'm very evil, ask around, they can tell you! [face_batting]

Gabri_Jade Mara has been the most fun to write! I couldn't believe it. [face_laugh]

RedGold Hooray, another victim...er, reader.

aldocassidy AND he's drunk, so expect a lot of whining in the immediate future! [face_mischief]

Chapter 2

?You?ve done quite well, Mara Jade,? Vader said as she led Luke into the room. ?You?ll be suitably rewarded, of course.?

Finally, the enormity of what was happening pierced through his comfortable alcoholic fog, and he felt terror start to bloom within him. He started to struggle against the woman?s durasteel grip and got a sharp rap on his head for his trouble. Already unsteady on his feet, Luke swayed and felt his knees begin to buckle and stomach rebel. Not that he had had anything to eat lately, of course, but his belly still lurched and threatened to put on quite a show. He took a deep breath and leaned against the wall, taking a moment to glare at her.

She sneered slightly and looked through him as if he was merely part of the wall, and Luke unexpectedly felt stung by her obvious derision. He swallowed hard, somehow reluctant to lower her opinion of him further by vomiting on the floor at her feet. Arica ? or Mara, whatever her name was, seemed to sense his predicament and her smirk told him that she found it amusing.

He turned his eyes to the armored figure at last, his long-lost father, though that thought sent a shudder through him that had nothing to do with his uneasy belly. ?How?d you find me?? he said, the words coming out slurred and slow.

The helmet turned to the woman. ?How long before he?s sober?? Vader asked as if Luke was not there at all, which Luke heartily wished was true.

Mara studied dispassionately him for a moment, and Luke felt himself shrink beneath her regard. ?Give him a year or two and he should be just fine,? she said at last, in a voice heavy with contempt. Luke sensed that she never allowed herself to feel much weakness, much less show it and she felt nothing but disgust for him ? his weaknesses were on open display, after all. For the first time in many years, Luke Skywalker felt ashamed.

Vader?s helmet hung low on his chest for a moment, his disappointment in his only son and heir quite clear. A mechanical sigh issued from the mask and he straightened. ?Get him to my ship and into the sick bay,? he ordered. ?I?ll talk to him once he?s not?drunk.? His father?s obvious repugnance only amused Luke, who had to repress a foolish smile.

As Mara led Luke back out the door, he looked over his shoulder and could not resist shouting out to his father?s retreating back, ?What? No toast to our happy little family reunion?? Luke laughed loudly. ?Well, I?ve gotta tell you, Dad, this has just been wonderful, getting together and talking about old times... It?s been a real blast!?

His father?s steady pace did not falter, but Mara jerked Luke by the arm, causing him to stumble. ?Listen, you might be his son,? she snapped. ?But that doesn?t mean he won?t kill you. Don?t be stupid and you just may live to see next week.?

Still feeling the vestiges of a pleasant buzz from the evening?s alcohol consumption, Luke was moved to a response that was more honest than he would have usually given. ?But what if I want him to kill me?? he asked quietly.

Mara s/>
  17. Feng_Huang Jedi Knight

star 2
    Maybe a little bit of love will cure him...[:D] though I doubt he'll get any from Mara :p (at this point, at least)
  18. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, wow! What a chapter. Very interesting developments indeed! Wow, Luke is....an alcoholic. How scary! I can't even imagine how this drying out process is going to work. Poor Luke, I worry for him--and Mara. Wow.

Just...wow. Yup, that about sums it up. :D
  19. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeowzers!

I was NOT expecting such a detailed trip through the alcoholic failures of Luke Skywalker. My dad's got Luke's problem - this one really strikes home. Especially the line about admitting it to ones self and being called it.

*shiver*

I do so love Mara in this and her treatment of Luke, though I'm curious as to what the deal is with Jun and her...

I'm so glad you let the bunnies win, Mama Vader! [:D] We get awesome stories from you when you do :D
  20. Jedi-2B Force Ghost

star 4
    Just found this, and so glad you're continuing it. Anxious to find out why Mara is, apparently, willingly serving Vader if he killed her Emperor. And of course, your portrayal of Luke as having given up all hope is excellent. I also want to see what happened to Leia and Han!
  21. PonyTricks Force Ghost

star 4
    Things are looking pretty hopeless for the farmboy. [face_worried] I think maybe being a drunk was better than being Vader's prisoner.
  22. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay, bunnies bunnnies bunnies! [face_dancing] :D

*ducks to avoid Kim's flying shoe at her head*

I can't help it, they're so cute! :p

Dude. :eek: That was demeaning. And somehow hilarious. I cracked up at the mental image of Vader being embarrassed with his loser son. [face_laugh] Ah, can't get enough of them dysfunctional Skywalkers.
  23. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    WOW! This is awesome!

I love Luke being portrayed in a completely diffrent light!
    I must say I can't blame him... knowing that your father is Darth Vader would not be a walk in the park.

I'm worried about how much Luke considers death over being there... I understand he doesn't want to be like that and like wise he shouldn't but... it just scares me a little!

I'm loving Mara in this, but I'm also curious as to what happened to Palpy and why she obviously suports Vader?

I can't wait for more and I'm so glad you're making this into a short story! :D
  24. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    This is a great story! I love Luke's sass and I was hoping he'd give Mara a right hook to shut her up. Keep on posting.
  25. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    Whoa - love the Luke and Mara interaction. And Luke's characterisation is wonderful - so not what we expect, but it really fits the situation he's gotten himself into. A drunken, sarcastic Luke. That's great.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.