main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Not My Father's Son - A Luke AU - An unintentional epic - Updated 12/14/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Great update!

So Luke is going to have to get dried out huh? I love it when we see characters weak like this, but I'm sure they will get stronger soon enough!

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *leaves carrots for all the bunnies*

Great little story. Poor Luke trying to hide and bascially destroying himself in the process. I'm anxious to see the father son chat. And would love to know what happened with Leia and Han.

3. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    !!!

So you did expand it!

I loved the second part even more than the first - Luke's intoxication, Mara's disdain, and Vader's disappointment and embarrassment (you'd never think that he'd be embarrassed of Luke - that was hilarious!)...though if I found out he was my dad, I'd be spending a lot of time drinking too :p

I also loved Luke mouthing off at Mara, Vader, and the medic. I'm glad to see that his sense of irony is intact, even if he's imprisoned in the bowels of the Executor.

The best part is that even though Luke is now hanging out with Mara and Luke, he's still Cute!Farmboy!Luke, not Dark!Sexy!Luke (at least not yet...[face_batting] ). So this 'fic can go in so many ways...I'm excited to see where you take this!

4. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I like this. The story line is very interesting, and could go just about...anywhere. I'm looking forward to the next update.

5. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wonderful story so far. I really look forward to reading more.

AG88

6. MJade

MJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Great work, Mama Vader.

AUs can be such a tricky thing. Some are fascinating. Some don't work. This one... is amazing. A poor, truly broken, perpetually drunken, criminally inclined Luke Skywalker, farmboy extraordinaire. This should be interesting. Throw in an Imperial agent named Jade, and it gets even better. You've certinally got me hooked. Can't wait to see if we find out what happened to Han and Leia.

7. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Everything's already been said.

That was so sad, seeing what our dear farmboy has become - he's slowly killing himself... I sure hope his condition isn't permanent. Very convincing writing. I'm looking forward to the family reunion.

Brilliant.

8. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    This is a very interesting take on 'what could have been'. I look forward to reading more! :D

9. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Looks like Papa Vader has no tolerance for little Luke's whining. But then, Sith Lords aren't usually typical fathers.

Love the Luke Mara interaction too. So friendly and cordial.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Feng_Huang I think Mara is more likely to offer a "permanent solution" to his problems before she loves him. ;)

ginchy Mara is simply herself! :p

Jade_Max I never knew my father, but he had the same problem. :( More about Jun coming up, I won't leave that dangling. [face_devil] Too long...

Jedi-2B An explanation for Mara serving Vader is coming up, not in the next chapter but probably the chapter after that. Unless it gets too big and I split it up.

PonyTricks I think he shares your opinion. [face_worried]

ThePariah Even Sith Lords are not immune from kids who don't measure up to expectations! [face_laugh]

mavjade Mara has reasons of her own. ;)

Jade_Pilot These two aren't done fighting yet. :rolleyes:

JadeLotus Drunk, obnoxious farmboy. :D

RedGold But he's going to make everyone, including himself, miserable for a while.

RebelMom Han and Leia will show up, but I can't promise they'll be alive. [face_whistling]

Inara He's not exactly dark, he's just lost, I think.

StarFighter5 Yes, it could go anywhere. In fact, I've got two endings written already and I guess I'll just have to see where the characters take me. [face_batting]

academygrad88 Thank you! [:D]

MJade Wow, thanks! [face_blush]

___Sithspawn___ Nothing's ever easy for a Skywalker, is it? o_O

RebelGrrl Thanks! I'm having fun writing it. :D

aldocassidy She's practically the Welcome Wagon lady! :p

11. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    All I can say is WOW! An amazing premise, and as always, your writing is flawless. :D

I feel so bad for Luke. This is a path he could have easily chosen - hiding from his past and embarking on self-destruction.

I love Mara in this. So calm and calculating, with a saber-sharp tongue. Yet, I sense a compassionate side lurking beneath the cold exterior.

Can't wait for more! :D

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina I feel honored, you ventured over into Beyond! :D You'll find the water's lovely here, jump on in!

[b]Chapter 3[/b]

?Will the Emperor be arriving soon?? Jun asked, looking both hopeful and fearful at the possibility.

Mara gave him a hard look. ?I am not privy to Lord Vader?s schedule,? she answered in a chilly voice. ?And that?s none of your business anyway. You are to concentrate on treating his son, getting him sober and ready to take his place at his father?s side.? She glanced at Luke and frowned. ?No matter what your patient may want or [i]not[/i] want, those are your orders."

The sluggish resentment that passed for anger stirred inside of him. It seemed his father had won at last, as Luke had always somehow expected he would. Had it been the Force that warned him? No matter, he was now in his father?s hands and there was nowhere to turn.

?How long do you think this will take?? Mara asked.

Jun sighed and studied Luke, who gave him a purposefully sloppy grin. In reality, however, his level of intoxication was diminishing rapidly, much too quickly for Luke?s peace of mind. He would have much preferred to face this particular future with the courage of a drunk. ?It will take several days to get him dried out,? Jun answered at last. ?And I?m not sure how much good he?ll be to the Emperor after that.? His disdain for the Emperor?s son was plain to see. ?Once a drunk, always a drunk.?

?That?s my plan,? Luke confided with a smirk. ?So don?t go screwing around with it, all right??

Mara scowled at Jun first, as if blaming him for the news, and then she turned her displeasure on Luke, who merely looked up at her with eyes that seemed much too innocent for a man who had earned his living doing what she [i]knew[/i] he had done. Despite his state, and in direct contradiction to the life he had been leading, there still seemed a tiny core of the simple Tatooine farmboy in Luke Skywalker. ?Do whatever you have to do,? she answered. ?I will inform Lord Vader.?

?Put him in the second room on the right and I?ll send in a droid to get things started,? Jun said officiously.

Grabbing his arm, she led him down the short corridor to the room Jun had indicated. ?Go on,? she said, shoving him through the doorway. Luke stumbled into the bed and gave her an injured look that she ignored.

Looking around, she found a pair of sleep shorts and tossed them his way. ?Here, these look like they?re your size.?

He held them up and thought they looked like they would be a bit snug. Luke quirked one brow and grinned. ?Admit it,? he said teasingly. ?You just wanna see me in these, don?t you??

She snorted at his observation but Luke held up his hand. ?Oh, it?s all right, darlin?,? he drawled. ?I know, it?s hard to admit it, but I think we both know what you?re thinking.?

Mara smiled and sauntered toward him, stepping so close that their noses almost touched. Then she leaned forward and whispered softly in his ear, ?I?m thinking if you make another comment like that, you won?t have anything left to cover up with those shorts.?

Luke gulped and backed away and Mara left him alone in the room, laughing softly at his expense as she did so.

The droid did not speak as it efficiently stuck a needle in his arm. The procedure was already over by the time Luke?s protest passed his lips. It had not hurt, but it was just another intrusion, a way his father?s will was imposed on him without his consent. He watched with detachment as a bag of fluid was attached to the needle entering his arm, lacking even the curiosity to ask what it was. It did not matter; his consent was not required in any case.

Jun, the cold-eyed medic, entered the room, giving Luke a chilly smile. ?Good,? Jun said, more to himself than to Luke.

Luke sat back in the bed, unwilling to speak to the medic. Something about the man made the hairs on the neck stand up. Although he had not been able to manipulate the Force in years, it still sometimes whispered to him as if trying

13. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Looks like Vader hasn't warmed up any. Poor Luke - he's in a tough spot. If he hadn't run off in the first place, things would be different. It will be interesting to see how this ends up.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    He held them up and thought they looked like they would be a bit snug. Luke quirked one brow and grinned. "Admit it," he said teasingly. "You just wanna see me in these, don't you?"
    [face_laugh]I love it! I can't believe he said that to Mara Jade and lived to tell about it... I guess this is one time he is lucky he is Vaders son!

Every nerve ending in his body seemed to hum with a low buzzing that threatened to drive him mad. All he needed was a drink to quiet the pain, he thought desperately. Just one drink would take the edge off; perhaps make him feel as if his skin was not about crawl off his body.
    This was an great description... I felt like I could feel his pain!

Vader was already disconnecting the tube from the bag of fluids. "You will not drug my son," he said firmly. "The pain will remind him of how foolish he has been to squander his Force given gifts."
    Glad to see the Vader we all know and love is still there! He's such a nice guy! :p

I can't wait to see what's going to happen next!

Awesome chapter, VaderLVR!

15. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    And the 'Father of the Year' Award goes to...
    Poor Luke! [:D]

16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, my. I think Vader's smarter than just being cruel to Luke. He wants Luke angry. Then he can manipulate him....

Eeek! :eek:

Great chapter, and Mara was hilarious. You know she really wouldn't mind seeing...

[face_laugh]

17. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Wow. I am so hooked. I love this concept and really can't wait to see where you take it. Vader's exceptionally spooky in this one.

18. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Vader leaned over Luke, the dark hand touching Luke incongruously tender against the words he said. ?Pain is a good teacher, my son,? he said softly. ?You will embrace it and you will learn.? One finger stroked down Luke?s cheek. ?I have no need of an apprentice who is too intoxicated to wield the Force.? The sound of a breath escaped the mask. ?Do not outlive your usefulness, Luke. That would be unwise, a terrible waste, and the consequences would be most?unpleasant.?

Yikes! Luke's in for a rough time. [face_worried]

Loved the bit betweent Mara and Luke. :D

Can't wait for more of this, K!

19. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I found it! (squeals)

As much as I try, I can't imagine Luke with stuble. :p Fantastic scenario, Master!

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    How'd I miss this??? [face_blush]

Just caught up and I LOVE it!! :eek:

The first line sets the tone perfectly: No one could destroy himself with quite as much style as a Skywalker

Mara is awesome, Vader is scary, and now Luke has to go through DTs without sedation. Yikes! (Love Luke's sarcasm! [face_mischief] )

Can't wait for more! :D

21. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Great...ah, chemistry, between Luke and Mara.

Vader seems to be his dark self, but that might change in time...right?

Guess we'll have to wait until Luke's sober and Vader tries to turn him.

22. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Great story! Great writing! This is so intriging as an AU. Can't wait for more. =D=

23. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    The fact that Luke has survived ten years in the underworld, made a living, and gained an aura of danger about him without someone sticking a vibroblade shows he is not a complete waste. The fact he has lovely Twi?leks checking him out shows he has not gone too far downhill physically (along with the fact they let him in the bar). The fact he?s drinking himself into oblivion in a bar shows despair, but at least he?s not sitting in a hovel drinking the cheapest strongest booze and waking up in his own vomit.

Of course if Luke was going to spend his time as a criminal then Lord Vader would have at least expected him to be a good one, a top Vigo of Black Sun rather than a drunken errand boy. :)

Poor Luke though, he thought he was going to get laid and had decided he found ?Arica? sexy enough that he?d manage to overcome the effects of the drink (or beautiful enough that it was an opportunity not to be missed, even if he wasn?t a hundred percent sure of little-Luke). Then instead he meets his father, which would have been a disappointing development even if his father hadn?t been Vader.

Vader is quite a puritan, but then after 30+ years of being in a life support suit and having to be careful about his lifestyle he would be.

Enjoyed the Luke / Mara exchange on the shuttle. He?s calmer than many people would be in that situation, but still rather an annoying passenger.

Liked Jun?s reaction to the news that Luke was the son of the Emperor but loved Luke?s reaction to that. Does seem like the Twi?lek was not fussy though if Luke was a little stinky and unshaven, maybe she was almost as drunk or was actually in the bar in a professional capacity (if you get what I mean).

?And I?m not sure how much good he?ll be to the Emperor after that.? His disdain for the Emperor?s son was plain to see. ?Once a drunk, always a drunk.?
    ?That?s my plan,? Luke confided with a smirk. ?So don?t go screwing around with it, all right?? ?poor Luke, I think the drink is making him too honest and making him give Mara and Jun too many clues.

Liked the sleep-shorts exchange.

Description of the pain Luke was going through was effective enough to produce a wince of sympathy. Vader?s philosophy was just what you?d expect from someone who might still be fooling himself that he had been reborn in the fire of Mustaffar. Vader can draw strength from his pain, he wants Luke to learn to do the same.

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    RebelMom He is definitely in a tough spot. ;)

mavjade Angels watch over fools, drunks, and reckless Skywalkers. Luke is all three at this point! :p

Feng_Huang Daddy Dearest. [face_laugh]

ginchy Well, who WOULD mind? =P~

-Erela- He's had ten more years of being immersed in the Dark Side. [face_devil]

Gina They don't seem to get along too well do they? [face_mischief]

Golden_Jedi I can [face_love]

Jedi Trace Luke is feeling a little reckless right now, but then again he's a Skywalker, he was sort of born that way, wasn't he?? :rolleyes:

___Sithspawn___ Things will definitely get interesting between father and son. [face_whistling]

Jade_Pilot It's one of the "fork in the road" things. What if he had zigged instead of zagged? [face_thinking]

_JM_ Luke is still gorgeous, but he has an appealing aura of danger about him now. I imagine the Twi'Lek wasn't too fussy, after all, she's in the same bar. [face_laugh]

[b]Chapter 4[/b]

Luke lay sweating and in the grip of an unrelenting need, writhing on the bed as he sought some relief. None was offered, however, and he endured as he always had ? alone. He was vaguely aware of time passing, but only in the most detached sense. The hours ? years? ? passed in a painful blur. Needles entered his flesh and he flinched from them, but was helpless to move away from their bite. The agony of his hunger coiled and breathed in his belly.

Strange dreams and visions came to him, taunting him with possibilities, terrifying him with their offerings. Once he dreamed that he saw his father?s masked visage hovering over him. ?I hate you,? Luke ground out between clenched teeth, for even in the dream he ached. The pain held him now, as securely as the Force had ever done.

?I know,? Vader answered, his mechanical voice resigned.

To his shame, Luke felt tears fall, hot and silent. ?I dreamed of you when I was young,? he whispered. ?I wanted to make you proud of me.? Shameful thoughts, he mused. [i]Don?t show the monster any weakness,[/i] he warned himself. No matter, it was only a dream. ?Why did [i]you[/i] have to be my father?? he asked, once again feeling the cold jaws of the vice closing around his skull.

In the dream, Vader jerked back, as if the creature inside the dark armor had actually flinched at the words. ?Because I did at least [i]one[/i] thing right,? the Dark Lord answered enigmatically.

Luke tried to grasp the meaning of the words, but the dream ended before he could and he fell back into the dark, whirling vortex that beckoned him. Grateful that at least one nightmare had ended, he embraced the darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He struggled, exhausted and defeated, to the surface of consciousness. Warily, he opened his eyes and felt the harsh artificial light stab into his skull like a vibroblade. It was worse than any hangover he had ever had, and that was no idle boast. Groaning, he covered his face, shielding his eyes and shaking with the sheer effort it took not to fall back into the tempting embrace of sleep. Even his sleep, though, was full of darkness and fear; it did not give him ease, merely made his existence slightly less intolerable.

Hesitantly, he reached out for the Force, seeking that warm, soothing touch he remembered from so long ago. He brushed against it, felt a gasp of relief and euphoria pass his lips. He tried to clutch it more firmly and then felt it skitter out of his control, as if the Force itself recognized his unworthiness.

Luke Skywalker wept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?You will not let this conquer you, my son.? The voice was relentless, implacable.

It was Vader?s voice, invading his dreams once more. Luke turned away from the voice, but soon felt a hand as hard as durasteel close over his jaw and turn him back toward that mechanical voice.

?Leave me alone,? Luke whispered, licking at dry lips. ?Please??

?I cannot lea

25. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I think I read this as soon as you posted. LOL

What a great chapter! My poor Luke needs a hug. Where's Mara? :p

Really loved Vader...he really is chipping away at Luke's defenses already, I think. And poor Luke, so ashamed of himself for things that can't be helped and for things that he has done...

Wow! Can't wait for more, already! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.