main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Not My Father's Son - A Luke AU - An unintentional epic - Updated 12/14/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    EGKenobi Thank you for reading!

JediMike2372 Certain decisions have to be made, and some choices will have to have to be made as well. :p

Jedi_Perigrine We're getting there! ;)

jade51999 I hope that's a good whoa! [face_mischief]

Ocelotl_Nesto Everything's shaken up in this story. Han on Team Vader. Who would have guessed it!? o_O

Darth_Marrs This Vader is challenging to write. He's not fully redeemed, but he's not the guy who tortured Leia either. It's a balancing act. [face_worried]

Jedi_Master_Cazz Probably a lot of people has guessed where this is going. But that's okay. I'm not trying to pull the rug out. Just develop the story, LOL! :D

Jedi-2B Now we're going to get down to the nitty gritty of what he's seen coming for the Skywalker clan.

Lea-El Maybe not so shocking. We'll see. :p

ginchy We'll see. [face_whistling]

Laine_Snowtrekker Let's find out, shall we?

Jade_eyes I think Mara might hurt you. [face_beatup]

smiley_rancor We'll find out in this post. :D

L0B0 I hope to update at least once a month until it's finished. :)

Niju Thanks for reading and here's the next post!

Jade_Pilot I'd be happy to and thank you. [face_blush]

Katarina42 Thanks!

[b]Chapter 53[/b]

Mara took one look at the figure on the bed and wondered what miracle had been worked to keep him alive so far. Uncharacteristically, she spoke her thoughts aloud, drawing a choked chuckle from her Emperor.

?I do not know,? Vader admitted. ?But I am alive.? He gestured Luke and Mara closer. ?Some of this Luke already knows, but there are things he will hear for the first time?and I want you by his side when he does.?

Not liking the sound of that, Mara sank into a chair without waiting for Vader?s permission. Luke threw her a glance and put his hand on her shoulder, steadying her, and perhaps gaining strength through the contact as well.

Luke sat down beside Mara, linked his fingers through hers and then studied his father. ?Do you want me to call the doctor?? he asked, obviously alarmed at Vader?s growing pallor.

The Emperor waved aside that suggestion. ?There?s no need,? he replied. ?She has just given me something to ease my breathing, and besides, the good doctor and I have come to an?[I]understanding.[/I]? The words were enigmatic enough to cause Luke to narrow his gaze, but Vader merely stared back impassively, and even without the mask, the former Anakin Skywalker was intimidating enough to make Luke drop his gaze first.

Mara squeezed Luke?s hand sympathetically, having been on the receiving end of Vader?s indomitable will often enough to know exactly how Luke felt.

?That is not important now,? Vader said dismissively. ?What [I]is[/I] important is your future, Luke?? He heaved a labored breath but then seemed to breathe more easily, though he grimaced as if in pain. ?And the future of this Empire?and our galaxy.?

?I believe in the threat you saw in your visions,? Luke assured his father. ?We all do, and we?re going to do what we have to in order to avoid that future.?

?It will be more difficult than you imagine, Luke,? Vader said softly. ?And you cannot do it alone. I have that [I]seen[/I] quite clearly.?

?This isn?t just about Luke anymore,? Mara whispered. She shook her head. ?I don?t like feeling as if I?m a puppet, being pulled first one way and then another at the whims of fate.?

?You are free to make your choice,? Vader murmured. ?But you must know the truth before you decide.?

?Then you?d better tell us,? Mara snapped, her fists clenching and unclenching.

?I?m trying,? Vader replied with a touch of humor. He coughed loudly and then put his hand over his heart, as if to still the wild beating there. Then he took a deep breath and shook his head. ?In a little while the doctor will come in and give me more medication,? he told Luke, noting the concern on his son?s face. ?I?ll be fine fo

2. Niju

Niju Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2009
    oooh! my! god!
    OMG OMG OMG! YAY a new chapter!!

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL CLIFFIE!!!!! :_| Dag nab it, Vadey! What is it?????? I'm sitting on the edge of my bean bag wondering what it could be. He's dying, but he needs a year???

LOL Moment: ?I hate it when you get those feelings. I usually end up getting shot at,? he added darkly. [face_laugh]

Love this story! =D=

4. Niju

Mar 25, 2009
    here is the rest of my comment!^^

it´s a realy nice chapter=D=
    but now i´m more more exited, embarrassed and curious as bevor!!!
    [face_hypnotized] 8-} :confused:
    one thing is plague me diligently : will vader alive and what will leia and han say to that future?:confused:
    (please let vader alive!!! [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] )
    [face_praying] please continue soon! a can´t wait so long !!!![face_praying]

oh and can you put me please in your PM list?

5. Niju

Mar 25, 2009

6. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Hey,

Very glad for the PM... Vader still has a year?... I doubt it... I hope he gets to set things straight with Leia first...

She will never forgive Alderann, but perhaps she can at least give him her respect.

7. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    OOOOH! Evil cliffy. You like doing that to us don't you?

I'm having a nightmare of Luke in the Vader suit and Leia asking
    "Aren't you a little short for an Emperor?"

Poor Mara at least he didn't say eight.[face_whistling]

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Lea

8. JediMike2372

JediMike2372 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    Evil cliffie. I'm not having any luck figuring out where this is going.

Three kids. I'm surprised Mara didn't vape him for that one. Whatever is in store for them, Luke is sounding like a reluctant participant. And what is the bid secret!?!? Can't wait for more.

9. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Another great chapter to a great story. I cannot wait to see where you take this.

10. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Excellent Addtion.

I always like when its Luke who has to take up the political mantle and Leia has another destiny to follow. Its sort of a nice reversal in a what if...sense.

Nice! Can't wait to hear what the full proclamation is.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Three kids huh? Wow!! And what is this unhappy truth they all must deal with, besides the demise of the Emperor? I agree with Mara... it's awful to hear that you might lose one of your kids to a threat that's coming... but hopefully, forewarned is forearmed. [face_thinking]

Excellent update all around.

:D

12. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Great update, Vadey! I totally see your pain, and I see the way you're carrying it forward, while still bringing forth the message of hope for the future--even when things are at their bleakest. Wonderful job!

SOrry it took me so long to get in, things have been...fun around here. :D

13. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Goodness, I've just read this through! It's fantastic, can you add me to your PM notification list?

14. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Excellent chapter! Wow gosh Vader certainly seems to have a lot on his plate at the moment! A whole year! He seems like he won't last another week at the rate he's going!

And wow three kids?! I liked Luke's 'small' comment and Mara was like, "Yeah, but you're not the one who has to deliver them, thrice!":p Looks like Luke is a fair deal out of his depth.

Oh and darn Vader and his secrecy, how come Luke and Mara get to know and we don't?:p

Looking forward to the next one!

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Years pass by, but you do not lose your touch. Your Vader certainly is nothing like I expected at first - a lot softer than what I had thought possible, but this work reads as good as I remembered yours reading.

The unusual angle on Vader made it even more interesting to voice his dialogue as I read along: actually hearing his part as it would have sounded through his vocoder made for a good feel - places where his lines sounded odd were uncommon, and usually did because of details in the wording (one of the more recurrent examples would be calling Han "Mr. Solo" instead of "Captain Solo" - it becomes easier later, but definitely felt off in the first chapters where the occurrence is met).

One thing I'm certain of: he really no longer sounds like a Dark Lord of the Sith :p

16. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Awesome--but evil--chapter. Thanks for the PM.

17. Ice1605

Ice1605 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    I have been lurking here for a while, anyway, I really like this story. Excellent job! May I be added to the PM list, please?

Thanks.

18. jedimasterjsa

jedimasterjsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow, I just barely stumbled across this story the other day and I must say this is amazing! I love how you have taken such a difficult and even strange idea (Vader living in the Theed Palace with all of Padme's relations? That just sounds weird! ;)), and making work so wonderfully! I think you've hit everybody's characters right on the spot! Could you please add me to the PM list if you're still doing one? I want to make sure I don't lose track of this one!

19. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Super posts! However I am not so sure that Mara's discomfort is about learning that she will have three little ones without any sayso, concerned about Luke's discomfort about being the "Heir Apearient"(sp), being placed in a possition of feeling like a lesser party to her husband enstead of an equal, the closeness of death on her mentor and master, or not really having any control in all these life changing events. Proubly a great deal of each one.Not sure how Leia is going to feel about how much her Daddy trusts Luke leaving her out of Galactic changing desitions(sp). Oh Hell! I could just be thinking too much too early in the morning. Great job and thanks.@};-

20. Niju

Mar 25, 2009
    please update soon!
    [face_praying]
    i can´t wait longer!
    this stor yis like a drug for me!!
    =P~ [face_hypnotized] =P~
    [face_love]

hug niju

21. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    Update!
    Update!
    UPDATE!
    Did I just say that out loud?[face_mischief]

22. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    All caught up. I can imagine what Anakin has told Luke. I hope he lives a while longer. Maybe Leia will get over her hatred.

23. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    I've been re-reading this story for the past two weeks and I have two questions. First, Are we going to see Sabé again? I really liked that you included her in this story, and I especially liked her interaction with Vader. I hope we do see Sabé again but if she isn't set to reappear then that's okay as well. :D

Next, Is the future Vader is seeing one possible future or the actual future? I have to ask because I get the feeling that Vader is manipulating everyone to avoid the Big Bad that is coming, but with every manipulation that future is subtly changing. Also, Luke is a bit of a wild card. Luke couldn't be trusted in canon to do what Obi-wan and Yoda wanted him to do-- kill Vader. So I kinda feel like Luke isn't, in the end, going to do what Vader wants him to do-- take over the galaxy as Emperor.

Anyway, just some thoughts as I was going through this story again. Always happy to see a new update. :D

bran

24. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    I've neglected commenting on this for a while.

Chapter 49

I liked this bit about Leia visiting her mother's grave to try and come to terms with who her father is:

For Leia, there had always been a blank space where her mother should have been. Now, as she knelt beside her mother?s grave, she did not feel a sense of betrayal at accepting Padmé Amidala as her mother.

She felt sure that Breha would have understood, perhaps even rejoiced at Leia?s discovery of her mother?s identity. The name Padmé evoked none of the conflicting emotions that Anakin did. Vader?

Leia sighed and closed her eyes, listening to the leaves rustling in the gentle breeze. If she concentrated hard enough, she might hear her mother?s voice on the winds, she thought, remembering a game she had played as a child. On Alderaan, they said you could hear the voice of the dead in the winds. She had often tried, yet never succeeded. She had never heard her mother?s voice.

Instead, there was only the sound of the leaves and the soft Naboo breezes. Opening her eyes, Leia gave a rueful laugh at her own foolishness. ?They say I look like you,? she whispered, tilting her head. ?I suppose I do.?

Only natural sounds answered her.

?Luke?s accepted our?father,? she said. ?I?m not sure I can. Or that I want to.?

The leaves rustled softly.

?I try and imagine what you saw in him,? Leia continued. ?To see what made you fall in love with a man who became a monster.?

From far away, a bird called plaintively to its mate.

?But when I look at him, I see only?Vader. The mask, the darkness?? Leia shuddered, feeling chilled in spite of the warm Naboo sun. ?I remember the pain??

Another bird call, closer this time.

?I want to forgive him, for Luke?s sake,? Leia said. ?Maybe even for yours.? A tear slid down Leia?s cheek. ?But I don?t think I can.?

Suddenly, she was aware of the rush of waterfalls far away, their roar a constant backdrop to the more immediate sounds. ?He loved you, I can accept that,? Leia murmured. ?But that doesn?t mean he?s a good man, or that he ever was.?

Leia hung her head. ?I want to think that he was, Mother,? she whispered. ?Because if he was ever good, then maybe Luke and I came from that part of him, the part that loved you, that you loved in return.?

There was a wild, joyous cry from the skies as the birds dipped and soared in their mating dance. Leia looked up and blinked at the bright, sunny sky. ?Show me what?s right,? she prayed, not even sure to whom she prayed. ?Help me do what?s right?what I should do, not just what I want to do??

A leaf fell from the tree, bringing with it a tender, pink bud. She followed its leisurely, lazy journey until it landed in front of her. She peered closely at the tiny flower, recognizing it immediately.

It was the teremai flower. Every Alderaan bride carried it when she wed to remind her that the journey on which she was about to embark was not without its challenges. There would be times when harsh words were exchanged and feelings were hurt. The bride was reminded of what the wife would discover. So as she walked toward the man to whom she was binding her life, the bride carried teremai blossoms.

It was the flower of forgiveness.

Very nice![face_love] As I've said before, even if the marriage ended badly, the children turned out all right!;) We return to Luke and Mara in the cave, with some stuff about their relationship:

He saw her nod her head. ?Me?and this thing we share.?

?You mean love?? He mocked her tenderly. The word ?love? still had a surprising effect on her, making her both content and tense. It was a strange combination, but he loved it about her. It was simply part of being Mara and he accepted it.

AHHHH!@};- They later encounter something or someone female:

?Do not fear the merging of light and shadow,? the voice said. It was female. He turned to see if Mara heard.

She did.

?From pain, there will come life. From hatred, there will spring love. There will come from great conflict a time of great peace. Do not f

25. Niju

Mar 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.