main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Not Myself (OWK/QGJ/OC's) - Complete - Replies, A/N, Links - 9/25/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author Note: This is a rather long chapter, but I couldn?t find a good place to slice it into two. And this may not be the right place in the chapter to post this first part, but I didn?t want to interrupt the chapter with an author?s note explaining that this part ? Governor Kalar and his guest ? took place shortly before Obi-Wan?s return to Nyve.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 24

?Governor, there is a gentleman in the foyer requesting an audience with you. He seems familiar, sir; he says he has not been home to Nyve for many years.?

Gawain Kalar looked up from the mountain of paperwork in front of him and dismissively waved his right hand. ?I?ll be there momentarily.?

?Yes, sir. I?ll let our guest know.?

The man in question paced the rectangular entrance hall; he smiled to himself, it had indeed been a long time since he?d been home. He had a proposal to offer, one the Governor could not ignore.

?May I help you, sir?? The voice behind him paused his musings; he turned to greet the very source he had come to see. The ruler of Kalar Providence chuckled.

?I should have known not to believe those rumors. How are you?? He clasped hands with the figure.

?I?ve been better.?

?What can I do for you??

?Well, it appears I?ve missed out on a substantial payday. And I think I know a way to get it back and make you a profit in the process.?

Kalar?s interest peaked. ?I?m listening.?

?Bailer providence.?

?Explain.?

?Within three years, Kana must step down as Governess to hand over the providence to Jole?s predecessor: Obi-Wan. What say, we make sure that doesn?t happen??

Eyes squinting with suspicion, Jonas asked, ?And how do you propose we do that??

?I know you?ve struck a deal with Bailer?s cousin, Marius. I want in. I want half the net worth of property and township. That would more than cover my losses.?

Kalar nodded thoughtfully. ?How does this benefit me? I?m not one to give out charity; I rather enjoy my wealth.?

?You?ll be rid of me. Isn?t that benefit enough??

?Meaning??

?I could make your life miserable.? The guest walked over to Gawain until they were face to face. He smirked, his features twisting in an unfamiliar fashion. ?Would you care to try me??

Having seen the aftereffects of this man?s handiwork, Kalar decided getting rid of him was profit enough. Deciding he would not allow his guest to see his uneasiness, he uninterestedly walked over to a small cart in the corner and poured himself a drink. Nonchalantly he asked, ?And how do you propose to keep young Kenobi from taking control of his inheritance? You would do well to remember that even I have boundaries.?

The man?s smile left Kalar uneasy. ?Leave that to me.?

X

Obi-Wan sat comfortably on the sofa between Kale and Jes while Garen sat on the floor leaning back against the chair his mentor currently occupied. Qui-Gon paced slowly behind the couch while Kana sat across from them having just finished explaining her recent actions.

"Why didn't you just tell me to begin with?? Obi-Wan questioned. ?I would have understood."

"I can see now that I should have."

Chlee clasped her hands together before speaking. "You do realize the Republic's position on the custody arrangement as we discussed earlier."

Kana nodded her understanding. "I won't press the matter."

"Did grandfather leave any other possible solution?"

"No, Obi-Wan. His wishes were clearly stated."

"Assuming guardianship of Bailer Providence isn?t something I?ve ever thought of, let alone wanted. I don't believe the position would suit me. And the providence needs someone who has a heart for it."

?You have the ability to take care of it, young one. You just have to believe yourself capable. Your grandfather set it up so the estate and surrounding lands would go to you, his grandson. He firmly believed that one day you would reside over it all.?

?But that was before?.? Obi-Wan interjected. ?He couldn?t have seen then how things would turn out. And maybe at one time I would have bee

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Whoa...you had me on the edge of my seat.

We start out fairly light (and I love, love, love that Garen regards Obi-Wan as a friend!) then we end with a bit of horror.

A wonderful update.

Obi-Wan??

Kale could hear a quietly spoken mantra repeating over and over as the young man clenched his fist tighter and tighter. ?He does want me!?

Paying no attention to the object of his son?s wrath, Kale kneeled down beside the teen. Having felt the boy?s emotions, the Jedi knew the mantra was referring to him. Clasping a hand on either side of Obi-Wan?s face, Kale turned the teen?s head until they were facing one another, but the youth?s eyes never left his tormentor.

?Of course I want you.? Kale reassured him. ?Your mother and I have wanted you since the day we knew about you.?

The teen?s hand trembled.

?Don?t do this, son.? Kale pleaded. ?It?s not who you think it is; you?re harming Qui-Gon.?

At least Obi-Wan doesn't seem to doubt Kale (much, anyway) - he's gone a long way!

Congrats on your noms! Richly deserved - best of luck.[face_good_luck]

3. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Oh dear.... [face_worried]. Obi is definitely in danger now. Not good!

I hope Kale and Qui are able to protect him from Traest and find a solution to the lineage problem. If not... [face_worried]

Excellent post! =D= Beautifully done all around.

4. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    I still love this story! Awesome updates!

Sorry I havn't reviewed lately, my interests have waned in the Star Wars fandom and House, MD has taken over, ahah.

Thank you for the PM. :)

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Oh my! can't these evil people just die and be done with it:oops:

Poor Obi-Wan and Poor Qui-Gon[face_worried]

amazing chapter.=D=

6. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Wow! I can't believe I missed an update! I'm certain Kale and Qui-Gon can help Obi through this. I have a feeling, though, that Obi-Wan is going to have to face his demons before he can move on with his life. If you have a pm list, Bek, please add me to it.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Sounds like Obi-Wan is in trouble again with his tormentor showing up, spewing his poison. Obi should be careful with his powers, though. He could have killed Qui-Gon doing that. And yet he didn't try it against Traest in the street. He needs training desperately.

Poor kid. He's so confused.

When the teen shook his head, the man tightened his grip. ?There?s no one left to save you, little one.? A cruel smirk and then, ?You think your father cares about you? You?re just excess luggage that he?s stuck with; he never wanted you. Why do you think he was never around?? The specter laughed, seeing that his words were starting to confuse the boy. ?Leave, and don?t come back.?

Good job.

8. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    As I told you before, I love this twist that you have thrown in! Excellent job! I was still on the edge of my seat![face_praying] Now, you can help relieve my stress by posting again, very soon.

Congrats on your noms, they are well deserved!=D=

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! Incredible update! Long, but well worth the read! :D

I'm worried about Obi. [face_worried]

=D=

10. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot hoa...you had me on the edge of my seat.

We start out fairly light (and I love, love, love that Garen regards Obi-Wan as a friend!) then we end with a bit of horror.

This could be a good thing. ;)

A wonderful update.

Thanks! [face_blush]

At least Obi-Wan doesn't seem to doubt Kale (much, anyway) - he's gone a long way!

By remaining constant, Kale is once again endearing himself to his son.

Congrats on your noms! Richly deserved - best of luck.

Thank you!

wolf_kenobi Oh dear..... Obi is definitely in danger now. Not good!

It could be depending on how one views it.

I hope Kale and Qui are able to protect him from Traest and find a solution to the lineage problem. If not...

Kale and Qui will definitely do their best to protect him. As for the lineage problem, that will come with time.

Excellent post! Beautifully done all around.

Thank you! [face_blush]

Cole_Kenobi I still love this story! Awesome updates!

Thanks! I?m glad you?re still enjoying it. :)

Sorry I haven?t reviewed lately, my interests have waned in the Star Wars fandom and House, MD has taken over, ahah.

You mean it?s actually possible for one?s love of Star Wars to wane? :eek:

Just kidding. ;) I understand. I hope your other fandoms bring you many hours of joy!

Thank you for the PM.

You?re welcome!

Gkilkenny Oh my! Can?t these evil people just die and be done with it.

Well, if they were really dead to start with, then they could be. ;)

Poor Obi-Wan and Poor Qui-Gon.

Indeed. :(

Amazing chapter.

Thanks!

p_stotts Wow! I can't believe I missed an update! I'm certain Kale and Qui-Gon can help Obi through this. I have a feeling, though, that Obi-Wan is going to have to face his demons before he can move on with his life. If you have a pm list, Bek, please add me to it.

Kale and Qui-Gon will try to be there every step of the way. :) As for facing his past, this may be just what the kid needs to move forward. I?d be happy to add you to the list. Thanks for reading!

dianethx Sounds like Obi-Wan is in trouble again with his tormentor showing up, spewing his poison. Obi should be careful with his powers, though. He could have killed Qui-Gon doing that. And yet he didn't try it against Traest in the street. He needs training desperately.

He didn?t try anything against Traest because he was too shocked at the fact that he was there at all. That and the fact that his former responses (when in Nayt and Traest?s care) came into play full force causing him to sort of shut down.

Poor kid. He's so confused.

He?ll figure things out! ;) Well, maybe...

Good job.

Thanks!

jedidas3 As I told you before, I love this twist that you have thrown in! Excellent job! I was still on the edge of my seat! Now, you can help relieve my stress by posting again, very soon.

Thank you so much for looking over that chapter! [:D] I really appreciate your help.

Congrats on your noms, they are well deserved!

Thank you! :)

VaderLVR64 Wow! Incredible update! Long, but well worth the read!

Thanks! [face_blush]

I'm worried about Obi.

This may have been the best thing for him. ;)

Chapter 25

The reprieve Qui-Gon needed so desperately was too long in coming. At last he felt the hold on his throat ease, causing his oxygen depraved lungs to hungrily take in large gulps of air. Having felt the shift in the force, Chlee slowly withdrew the healing tendrils in order to make certain his airway would remain open on its own accord. Qui-Gon swallowed several times, an ache accompanying the action. Kale resurfaced from his task and having noticed that Chlee was attending to Qui-Gon, he checked his son before moving over to inquire about his friend.

11. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Thank you for not keeping me waiting for too long![:D] Wonderful update, my friend. This story keeps getting better and better! =D= I love the way how you are slowly building the relationship between Obi, Kale, and Qui-Gon...so well written, your story draws the reader into the emotions of your characters. That is such a wonderful gift!

Looking forward to more!

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ?I?m sorry,? the young man said, his voice clearly reflecting his remorse.

Not having realized Obi-Wan was awake, the three Jedi simultaneously turned toward the youth when they heard him speak. Qui-Gon quickly reassured him, ?I?m fine.? His voice was hoarse; he cleared his throat. ?It?s not your fault young one.?

When Obi-Wan hurried from the room, Kale sighed in angered frustration...?I guess everyone felt it.? Kale deduced.

The floorboards creaked beneath the carpet, causing both Jedi to turn toward the door. Obi-Wan walked in carrying a large glass of water. He stopped a few feet away from the bed and held it out at arm?s length toward his mentor. ?I thought you might need this,? he said quietly. When Qui-Gon gratefully took the glass, the teen stepped back before the elder man could grasp his arm. ?I?ll be downstairs.?

After that - Obi-Wan can only think to offer something to Qui - I'm proud of that boy. Bek, this is just one fantastic story you are weaving.

13. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Wonderful update, Bek! =D= Thanks for the p.m. I hope when Obi-Wan says he's going to make that announcement, that's it's only a ploy to draw out his adversaries. Here's hoping you update again soon.

14. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Wonderful update, Bek! =D= Thanks for the p.m. I hope when Obi says he's making that announcement, that it's to draw out his adversaries and not because he really means to become governor. Can't wait to read more!

15. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Excellent post! =D=

I absolutely love the Kale/Obi interaction. You write it so well!

Hmmm, so Obi is going to announce that he is becoming governor... I wonder what his plan is. [face_thinking]

Well done and looking forward to more!

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great update. I liked how they were worried about Obi-Wan and yet trying to figure out what was going on.

Obi-Wan has to face his fears if he's ever going to be free.

The look that settled on Obi-Wan?s face was answer enough. He didn?t want to admit, even to himself, that they were right. He had to stop running from his past and face up to it. It was so easy to live in fear: the fear of rejection, the fear of abandonment, the fear of losing what he loved the most, the fear of everyone measuring up to Nayt and Traest, the fear of moving forward into an unknown future. Or maybe it wasn?t that living in fear was easy so much as it had become strangely comfortable, familiar, a way of life. Looking forward, the unknown, terrified him. But common sense told him that if he was ever going to be free of the hold his past embraced him with, he was going to have to make a stand.

Wonderful.

17. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Wonderful update. Thanks for the PM.

So does Obi-wan seriously want to hold that position or is it just a tactic? Hmm, part of me thinks Kale and Qui-gon and Garen will be a little dissappointed that he does not become a Jedi, but it would be pretty neat for him to still be an important figure. Anyhoo....Awesome update.

18. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I think Traest still has a hold over Obi-Wan.[face_worried]

?NO!? Obi-Wan turned around. ?He?s dead!? His tone of voice struggled to be certain of something that he knew was not factual.

?No, son?he?s not.?

Resigning himself to the truth, Obi-Wan said, ?I know; I just don't want to believe it."

Oh no! he is going to forgo his Jedi training to be the Governor:oops:

Excellent story.=D=

19. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Holy force monkeys! Markus Traest isn't dead? :eek: Did not see that one coming. I hope Obi-Wan's decision to become governor is only a temporary one to draw these crooks out. Great fic! =D=

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was a surprise! :eek:

Okay, it took me a while to get here. [face_blush] My apologies! I'll probably be late reading the next update too, since we're moving. But please keep me on the PM list!

=D=

21. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Update soon please? [face_praying]

22. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Gah!! Late to the party, I am.

Poor Obi-Wan, being haunted by a very real ghost from his past. But he has allies that won't desert him, and a future worth living toward.

Great post.

23. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    I'm really enjoying this story too! I'm all caught up now! PM me please! Awesome story! Keep it coming please![face_dancing]

24. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    great stuff....

and Kale... be careful for what you wish for...

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    jedidas3 Thank you for not keeping me waiting for too long! Wonderful update, my friend. This story keeps getting better and better! I love the way how you are slowly building the relationship between Obi, Kale, and Qui-Gon...so well written, your story draws the reader into the emotions of your characters. That is such a wonderful gift!

Thanks! :) Obi-Wan is finding that Kale and Qui-Gon are permanent fixtures in his life. No matter what he does, they refuse to be pushed away.

I wanted to thank you to for looking over the last post for me. I really appreciate the help you gave me in voicing your thoughts on Traest. Thanks!

Valairy_Scot After that - Obi-Wan can only think to offer something to Qui - I'm proud of that boy.

His heart is too big for him not to try to make amends for what happened. ;)

Bek, this is just one fantastic story you are weaving.

Thank you! [face_blush]

p_stotts Wonderful update, Bek! Thanks for the p.m. I hope when Obi-Wan says he's going to make that announcement, that's it's only a ploy to draw out his adversaries. Here's hoping you update again soon.

Wonderful update, Bek! Thanks for the p.m. I hope when Obi says he's making that announcement, that it's to draw out his adversaries and not because he really means to become governor. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! :) As for the announcement, we?ll have to wait and see. The muse is keeping quiet on this one.

wolf_kenobi Excellent post! I absolutely love the Kale/Obi interaction. You write it so well!

Thank you!

Hmmm, so Obi is going to announce that he is becoming governor... I wonder what his plan is.

We?ll find out together. The muse isn?t quite sure where she?s going with that part herself. :p

dianethx Great update. I liked how they were worried about Obi-Wan and yet trying to figure out what was going on. Obi-Wan has to face his fears if he's ever going to be free.

He?s on his way. ;)

Cole_Kenobi Wonderful update. Thanks for the PM.

Thank you for the kind words. And you?re more than welcome. :)

So does Obi-wan seriously want to hold that position or is it just a tactic? Hmm, part of me thinks Kale and Qui-Gon and Garen will be a little disappointed that he does not become a Jedi, but it would be pretty neat for him to still be an important figure.

You?re right, Kale and Qui-Gon will probably be disappointed. Though Kale only wants what is best for Obi-Wan, even that means not becoming a Jedi.

Gkilkenny I think Traest still has a hold over Obi-Wan.

Somewhat, yes. :(

Oh no! he is going to forgo his Jedi training to be the Governor.

He?s testing the waters.

Itachi-Uchiha Holy force monkeys! Markus Traest isn't dead? Did not see that one coming. I hope Obi-Wan's decision to become governor is only a temporary one to draw these crooks out.

Obi has some decisions to make. [face_thinking]

Great fic!

Thank you!

VaderLVR64 That was a surprise!

But, sort of a good one right? :p

Okay, it took me a while to get here. My apologies! I'll probably be late reading the next update too, since we're moving. But please keep me on the PM list!

No problem! Real life must take front and center at times. Thank you for reading!

p_stotts Update soon please?

Coming right up!

ratna Gah!! Late to the party, I am.

Better late than never! ;)

Poor Obi-Wan, being haunted by a very real ghost from his past. But he has allies that won't desert him, and a future worth living toward.

I couldn?t have said it better myself. :)

charie I'm really enjoying this story too! I'm all caught up now! PM me please! Awesome story! Keep it coming please!

Thank you! And I?d be happy to add you to the PM list. :)

ClaudiaR great stuff....and Kal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.