main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Not Myself (OWK/QGJ/OC's) - Complete - Replies, A/N, Links - 9/25/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author Update: Life is finally calming down in regard to the injuries my mother suffered in an automobile accident. She is doing well! She's up walking again and is regaining use of her shoulder through Physical Therapy. :) We couldn't be happier with the speed in which she is mending.

Thank you all so much for your patience in regard to this fic.

Last time on 'Not Myself': After their attempted robbery on Nyve, Obi-Wan and Traest were imprisoned in a local jail on Coruscant. Kale meant for this to be time for Obi-Wan to think on what he'd done wrong. When Kale went to retrieve his son, Obi-Wan wasn't too happy to see him. After a long talk, they got some things straightened out: mainly that Kale would not abandon his son. The Council put Obi-Wan on a three month probation for his actions on Nyve.

Chapter 31

Two Months Later

Jes hurried down the hall. It was rather late for her to barge in on her mother, but the pages she had just read were worth Kana?s irritation of being woken at such a late hour.

When Kana didn?t move let alone respond to her daughter?s presence, Jes sat down on the end of the bed and shook the elder woman?s leg. ?Mother, wake up!?

Kana moaned before moving around in earnest. Sitting up, she blinked several times and then turned to look at the chrono on the night stand. ?Do you have any idea what time it is?? she demanded.

Jes smiled widely. She moved up to sit next to her mother and once settled, read the passages from the Bailer family journal she had been working her way through for the last several weeks. Kana?s eyes grew wide as she listened to her daughter recite the words of their ancestor. Silence permeated the room when Jes finished the narrative. Though saddened by this revelation and its implications, Kana nevertheless suggested that Jes should contact Kale.

Jes moved over to the comm. unit and entered the code to the Jedi Temple. While waiting for Kale to answer, she sat down and reread the entry, her hope rising that perhaps this was the answer to her nephew?s dilemma.

If circumstance prevents the chosen heir from serving as Baron of the fief, the chosen may then choose a proper replacement if said chosen is living; otherwise, an election must be held to nominate a new successor. Such circumstance may include: being an heir to another fief through a marriage merger, serving in the Senate or in another official capacity to the Republic or as a Knight protecting the Kings lands. It has been rumored that Knights from various planets and districts will soon be dispatched to the central core in an attempt to build an Order to serve as protectors and peacekeepers of the Republic. If such occurs, as said is to happen, then this merger with the Republic will stand as one such circumstance. Let this be entered into the laws of the Bailer Fief. ~ Mya Bailer

Several moments later, a groggy Jedi Master slapped the blinking button on his comm. unit, effectively silencing the offending object while activating the screen. Surprised to see his sister-in-law after not having spoken to her since his little tirade two months prior, he greeted her hesitantly. ?Jes??

His wife?s sister smiled broadly. ?Kale, I have good news. At least I think its good news, it seems to stand on its own and it was taken into law at the time. The pages after it state that each Baron and Governor thereafter agreed to its indoctrination. We ??

Kale held up a hand to stop her rambling. ?Jes, what are you talking about?? He rubbed a hand over his face, trying in vain to relieve himself of exhaustion that clung to him.

?The escape clause, Kale, the one Qui-Gon said had to exist. He was right!?

?An escape clause?? Kale frowned; his mind was trying desperately to keep up with her train of thought but failed miserably.

Jes took the time to really study her brother-in-law. ?You?re exhausted. I?m sorry; I should have waited till morning. When I read the passage and Kana learned of it, we thought you should know as soon as possible.?

?Are yo

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

?I want you to promise me that you will never go so far to please someone as to make yourself miserable in the process.?

Eyebrows creased in confusion, Obi-Wan asked, ?Do I do that??

?You were going to give your life so that you could run this providence despite how you really felt about it.? Kana smiled. ?Did you really think I couldn?t tell how unhappy you were with the decision? And what made it worse is that I pushed you into it.?

When Obi-Wan opened his mouth to protest, Kana effectively silenced him with a raised hand. ?I did. I wanted so much for you to remain here, to have my grandson as well as a piece of his mother with me again that I failed to see how it was affecting you. I?m so sorry.?

A smile broke out across the young man?s lips. Bending down slightly, he hugged his grandmother. ?I love you, Nana.?

Tightening her hold, the elder woman replied, ?As I do you.?

Ah, Kana isn't so bad after all - but then, she's Obi's grandmother. ;)

Loved this update - now Obi-Wan is who he is meant to be! =D=

I'm so glad to hear your mother is doing well!

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Obi-Wan closed his eyes in relief. Perhaps his plan hadn?t failed after all: Obi-Wan?s family received the justice they deserved; Traest was no longer a threat.

... ? the end ... ? Only our author knows for sure .... [face_mischief]

Great story. Glad your Mother is recovering well.

4. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Later that evening while the Kenobis and Bailers were enjoying a celebration of life and new beginnings, Obi-Wan had just handed another piece of cake to his father and was helping himself to seconds when he noticed the news report airing on the holotube. The words coming from the reporter?s mouth were music to his ears: Markus Traest had been banned from his home planet of Nyve due to criminal acts against the planet?s financial structure. Obi-Wan closed his eyes in relief. Perhaps his plan hadn?t failed after all: Obi-Wan?s family received the justice they deserved; Traest was no longer a threat.Ah,but is Traest reallyno longer a threat? Me thinks the Bailors haven't seen the last of Kalar either. Is all this fodder for a sequel? Or is this wonderful story going to continue on?:confused:

Great chapter, Bek! =D= Lovely job. :D

5. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Before I start, just let me say how thankful and glad I am that your mom is doing well. You and your family are in my thoughts. Now, onto this wonderful post. Where do I begin? You know that this has always been one of my favorites and the quality of this last chapter is only one of the reasons. I'm glad Obi is finding himself, but I have to agree with Peg...a sequel would be nice or you could just continue with this story forever!!!

Great job, my friend!

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    It's great to hear that your Mother is regaining her strength.[face_dancing]

You tied up the story nicely handing the provence over to Jes=D=
    Now you can concentrate on making Obi a Jedi.:D

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great job with this. I liked how you tied up all the loose ends and were able to keep Obi-Wan from having to deal with his duties as Governor or dealing with Traest. Well done.

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Ah, Kana isn't so bad after all - but then, she's Obi's grandmother.

That she is! ;)

Loved this update - now Obi-Wan is who he is meant to be!

But not yet where he should be?.

I'm so glad to hear your mother is doing well!

Thank you, we are too! She?s back to work and driving herself as well. She has three more weeks of physical therapy and has to go back in a month to get the screws taken out of her ankle. She?ll be back in a ?boot? for two weeks after but it isn?t something that will keep her down. :)

ratna ... ? the end ... ? Only our author knows for sure ....

Not quite yet. ;)

Great story. Glad your Mother is recovering well.

Thank you. We?re really glad too! :)

p_stotts Ah,but is Traest really no longer a threat?

We?ll have to wait and see?. [face_thinking]

Me thinks the Bailors haven't seen the last of Kalar either. Is all this fodder for a sequel? Or is this wonderful story going to continue on?

I hadn?t thought of a story line for a sequel (or continuation on said thread) until after reading these reviews. Just don?t know if I could pull it off or what the motivation would be. And if said sequel were to get mapped out, I think it would probably be a good idea for me to finish it offline before posting; I?m beginning to think that would be the best way to go. I?ve left you all hanging too many times with too much time between.

Great chapter, Bek! Lovely job.

Thank! [face_blush]

jedidas3 Before I start, just let me say how thankful and glad I am that your mom is doing well. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Thank you so much! The support we?ve had has meant the world to us. She?s doing much better and is back to her ole self. :)

Now, onto this wonderful post. Where do I begin? You know that this has always been one of my favorites and the quality of this last chapter is only one of the reasons. I'm glad Obi is finding himself, but I have to agree with Peg...a sequel would be nice or you could just continue with this story forever!!!

I?ve never done a sequel, a companion piece yes, but not a sequel. I have an idea but not the character?s motivation. It?s still in the works, if I can figure it out there will be one. :)

Great job, my friend!

Thanks!

Gkilkenny It's great to hear that your Mother is regaining her strength.

She?s doing fantastic! [face_dance]

You tied up the story nicely handing the providence over to Jes.

Thanks! I?m glad it all came together. Trying to keep up with the plot and what was previously written is a task I?m continually reviewing.

Now you can concentrate on making Obi a Jedi.

But is that what he wants? [face_thinking]

dianethx Great job with this. I liked how you tied up all the loose ends and were able to keep Obi-Wan from having to deal with his duties as Governor or dealing with Traest. Well done.

Thank you! I?m so glad the story came together. :)

Author?s Note: In this post, it is mentioned that Obi-Wan uses a form of moving meditation, which leads into what he has learned. I don?t know who first came up with the idea or I?d give credit where credit is due. I just know I didn?t create it, but have read many fanfics where it is mentioned. I don?t know if it came from cannon or extended universe: books, comics, games, etc? or if it was thought up by fanfiction authors. I just hope it?s out there for general use and I?m not stepping on anyone?s toes.

Chapter 32

Six Months Later

?Master!?

Kale turned at the sound of Reed?s voice. Seeing the younger man jogging to catch up with him, he stopped walking and waited for his former padawan.

He raised an eyebrow in question when Reed stopped in front of him and paused to catch his br

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes! <fist pump>

Wise he is to think on it, but it's meant to be. He HAS grown so much.

I love this story.

Obi-Wan may be nineteen years of age now, but his experience in anything female had been lacking during a time when most males his age were spending a great deal of time just learning about the females in their orbit. He was certain that Reed would take care of educating his son where Obi-Wan?s own knowledge failed to fill in the gaps.

?Force help us all,? he whispered with a chuckle.

[face_whistling] Oh, yeah? Does Reed have a reputation or something? Or a fear that Obi-Wan might repeat his young days (pre-marriage)? Or both?

10. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    His life seems to be coming together. He is proving to them that he'll make a fine Jedi.
    Lets hope nothing blocks his way and he makes a wise decision.

Nineteen and he's not interested in girls.:oops: o_O

excellent.=D=

11. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    I know that I say this almost every time, but I love this story! It has been one of my favorites since I started reading it. Now, I'm glad that Obi's been extended the invitation, and I hope he excepts. However, the author has been known to throw us for a loop before! LOL Can't wait for the next post!!!

12. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I think Obi-Wan will ultimately accept the Council's offer, but will he accept for the right reasons. He still has a few issues with his father. Will he accept because he wants to please Kale? Or will he accept because he feels to do so is the will of the Force? So many subtle psychological issues in play here. I love how you've woven them all together.

On a side note - I'm also relieved to hear that your mother is doing better. I hope you have a very happy Mother's Day with her.

13. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    nineteen, eh? *sigh* O:)

glad the council is giving him a chance.

P.S. Tai Chi Chuan has often been called moving meditation. I wouldn't be surprised if the principle was borrowed for the GFFA. [face_peace]

14. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This is great.

Loved this chapter. Can't wait for more :)

EG

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Each post just makes me love this story more and more. I'm finally caught up now. I know, I know. Bad reader! :p

PLEASE make sure you keep me on the PM list. I don't want to miss a chapter!

=D=

16. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    *wipes brow* Phew! Finally caught up! I must say bek, you sure can write a compelling story- an AU one at that! I am totally in love with Kale's character- I love how you're tying in traits that the Obi-Wan we all know and love has. It's neat to think that he inherited them from his Dad.

We have an offer to make you, young one. We would like to offer you the choice of joining the Jedi Order and training to be a Knight.?

I hope he says "yes!" It would make both his Dad and Qui-Gon so proud!! :)

All in all, a terrific piece!=D= Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the next post!! Please add me to the PM list so I don't miss it, please! :)

~ Celeste

17. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Wise he is to think on it, but it's meant to be. He HAS grown so much.

Yes he has, and for the better!

I love this story.

Thanks! [face_blush]

Oh, yeah? Does Reed have a reputation or something? Or a fear that Obi-Wan might repeat his young days (pre-marriage)? Or both?

Uh?not quite. Reed?s a gentleman in every respect. ;)

Gkilkenny His life seems to be coming together. He is proving to them that he'll make a fine Jedi. Let?s hope nothing blocks his way and he makes a wise decision.

That in and of itself may be a problem. [face_plain]

Nineteen and he's not interested in girls.

[face_shame_on_you] Naïve would be the term you?re looking for.

jedidas3 I know that I say this almost every time, but I love this story! It has been one of my favorites since I started reading it. Now, I'm glad that Obi's been extended the invitation, and I hope he accepts. However, the author has been known to throw us for a loop before! LOL. Can't wait for the next post!!!

Thanks! He has a lot to think about. :)

p_stotts I think Obi-Wan will ultimately accept the Council's offer, but will he accept for the right reasons. He still has a few issues with his father. Will he accept because he wants to please Kale? Or will he accept because he feels to do so is the will of the Force? So many subtle psychological issues in play here. I love how you've woven them all together.

That?s the question. [face_thinking]

On a side note - I'm also relieved to hear that your mother is doing better. I hope you have a very happy Mother's Day with her.

Thank you!

ratna Nineteen, eh? *sigh*

;)

Glad the council is giving him a chance.

He?s come a long way in proving himself.

P.S. Tai Chi Chuan has often been called moving meditation. I wouldn't be surprised if the principle was borrowed for the GFFA.

Thanks for the info!

EGKenobi This is great. Loved this chapter. Can't wait for more.

Thanks! :)

VaderLVR64 Each post just makes me love this story more and more. I'm finally caught up now. I know, I know. Bad reader!

I?m glad you?re enjoying it! Thanks for reading!! :)

PLEASE make sure you keep me on the PM list. I don't want to miss a chapter!

Will do!

CelseteAntola *wipes brow* Phew! Finally caught up! I must say bek, you sure can write a compelling story- an AU one at that! I am totally in love with Kale's character- I love how you're tying in traits that the Obi-Wan we all know and love has. It's neat to think that he inherited them from his Dad.

Welcome to the thread! :) And thank you for the kind words; I?m glad you?re enjoying this.

I hope he says "yes!" It would make both his Dad and Qui-Gon so proud!!

You?re right, it would make them proud. But he has to do what is right for himself in the long run. We?ll see what happens! ;)

All in all, a terrific piece! Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the next post!! Please add me to the PM list so I don't miss it, please!

~ Celeste

Thank you and I would be happy to add you to the PM list.

Author?s Note: The Jedi rule of ?no attachment? is mentioned in this post. It goes so far as to mention a Jedi cannot enter into marriage, have families, etc?. This is just one in a million ideas/thoughts on this topic.

I?ve read many variations on this subject and each author has put his or her own unique perspective on it, and that?s what makes the whole theory of it interesting.

I wanted to mention this because I?ve written about this topic before in a different fic and it wasn?t received all that well. I don?t pretend to know the ins and outs as to what George Lucas thought when he wrote t

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan hasn't regressed - he's overwhelmed. I know the feeling on a smaller scale - take a day off to do "something" and that's one less day I can take off to do something else.

Bek, you'd better have Obi-Wan looking over his shoulder because Jedidas3 will soon be swooping in to inform him plenty about women (Patricia loves Obi-Wan - heck, she got an Obi-Wan of her own in a story over in Saga for her birthday - though I don't know which one educated which one).

Lovely update - as always. I get so much joy from each update of each story of yours! [face_dancing]

19. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Very mature thinking for a young man, but then Obi was forced to grow up fast. I believe that no matter what decision he reaches, it will be based on what he wants for his life and not what he thinks others want. I think he's also learning that no matter what path he chooses, he will have to face adversity. It all comes down to what his priorities are. Wonderful update, Bek! Great to see you on the boards again.

20. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Yay! An update already! [face_dancing]

Poor Obi-Wan, his indecisiveness is going to drive him crazy! To be selfless or not to be selfless, that is the question.

I can see how he's afraid of being trapped again. It's got to be difficult to love the structure so much, but still not be sure about committing oneself entirely to that structure. Obi-Wan's got to make a leap of faith here. Hopefully his meditations will give him the necessary trust in the Force.

A brilliant update, bek, I can't wait to read more!

~Celeste

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    A very good point he made about his future, but Hebs is right
    They can leave if they want to.:)

The thing about attachments is a strange one really, because in the Phantom MenaceObi-Wan?s scream Nooooo when Qui-Gon was cut down seemed more like he was in pain because his Father had been stabbed rather than just another Jedi passing into the Force.:_|

When Obi-Wan lifted Qui-Gon up as he was dying, Qui-Gon wiped away tears that were running down Obi-Wans face. Then Obi-Wan held his dead Master, buried his face into Qui-Gon?s, and rocked back and forth. It certainly looked like they were attached. I think there are attachments and emotional bonds between them, but they can let go when necessary.O:)

I loved the update.=D=

22. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    attachment is indeed a sticky wicket ....

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I feel so badly for Obi-Wan. And the attachment issue is fraught with peril! [face_beatup]

Lovely update, as always. =D=

24. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    A nice continuation to a great story. Obi seems to be progressing well now. Thanks for updating and for the pm. =D=

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Obi-Wan hasn't regressed - he's overwhelmed.

Yes he is! :(

Lovely update - as always. I get so much joy from each update of each story of yours!

Thanks so much! :)

p_stotts Very mature thinking for a young man, but then Obi was forced to grow up fast. I believe that no matter what decision he reaches, it will be based on what he wants for his life and not what he thinks others want. I think he's also learning that no matter what path he chooses, he will have to face adversity. It all comes down to what his priorities are.

He?s definitely had to mature more quickly than he otherwise would have. He sees this decision as a strategic move of sorts. And strategy is something he learned well at his uncle?s side.

Wonderful update, Bek!

CelseteAntola Poor Obi-Wan, his indecisiveness is going to drive him crazy! To be selfless or not to be selfless, that is the question.

I can see how he's afraid of being trapped again. It's got to be difficult to love the structure so much, but still not be sure about committing oneself entirely to that structure. Obi-Wan's got to make a leap of faith here. Hopefully his meditations will give him the necessary trust in the Force.

He craves stability. Whether he stays with the Jedi or creates a stable environment for himself outside the Order remains to be seen. ;)

A brilliant update, bek, I can't wait to read more!

Thank you!

Gkilkenny A very good point he made about his future, but Hebs is right, they can leave if they want to.

Hopefully that will factor into the teen?s decision, that he won?t be trapped yet again.

The thing about attachment is a strange one really, because in the Phantom Menace Obi-Wan?s scream of ?Nooooo? when Qui-Gon was cut down seemed more like he was in pain because his Father had been stabbed rather than just another Jedi passing into the Force.

When Obi-Wan lifted Qui-Gon up as he was dying, Qui-Gon wiped away tears that were running down Obi-Wan?s face. Then Obi-Wan held his dead Master, buried his face into Qui-Gon?s and rocked back and forth. It certainly looked like they were attached. I think there are attachments and emotional bonds between them, but they can let go when necessary.

True. And in ROTS, Obi-Wan told Anakin on Mustafar that he was his brother and that he loved him as such. There was attachment there too.

I like to imagine that master/padawans did have a parent/child relationship. Makes me wonder how the Order could expect the men and women among their ranks to take in a child and raise him or her without coming to the point of caring for and loving that child.

The Order pretty much couldn?t enforce the ?no attachment? rule, other than the threat of expulsion, which just made those who opposed it hide their relationships. In the Jedi Trial: A Clone Wars Novel, Anakin met and worked with another Jedi who had married (if I?m not mistaken).

And I like the last part of your take on it: they can let go when necessary.

I loved the update.

ratna attachment is indeed a sticky wicket ....

Indeed. [face_plain]

VaderLVR64 I feel so badly for Obi-Wan. And the attachment issue is fraught with peril!

He?ll figure things out. But it might take meditating to get him moving. [face_whistling]

Lovely update, as always.

Thanks!

charie A nice continuation to a great story. Obi seems to be progressing well now. Thanks for updating and for the pm.

He?s coming along. :) And you?re welcome!

Chapter 34

It was late when his comm. link sounded; Kale stretched himself as he reached for the night table to retrieve the unit. Grasping it, he relaxed back into the sleep cot.

?Kenobi.?

?Did I wa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.