main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Not Myself (OWK/QGJ/OC's) - Complete - Replies, A/N, Links - 9/25/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    What a lovely update. I especially loved Obi-Wan's vision of his mother. I had tears in my eyes, it was so well written. Now I guess Obi-Wan will negotiate the terms of his acceptance with the Council... and the Negotiator is born! :D

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The shoulder beneath him shook with laughter, the sound a soothing bomb to his weeping heart. ?I figured as much, but it?s meant to make you see that I am happy. I miss you and your father so very much, but I am happy. There?s so much joy where I?ve been, where I?m returning. Even though I can?t physically be with you, I?m only a thought away. And in that thought, I am in your heart.?

She pulled back. When he looked at her, she reached up and wiped away his tears. ?I almost forgot, your grandfather says ?hello.??

The joy within shone through her eyes, causing him to smile at the brightness of it. When he did, she began to sing the chorus of a song she had long ago heard, his voice hesitantly mingled with hers.

?When I get where I'm going, there'll be only happy tears.
    I will shed the sins and struggles; I have carried all these years.
    I'll leave my heart wide open; I will love and have no fear.
    When I get where I'm going, don?t cry for me down here. (*)

Her form faded a little more. ?Remember what you promised me.?

At his confused look, she reminded, ?Live out loud.? A refreshing breeze blew around them and she was gone.

His movements slowed to a stop, the wooden lightsaber dangling loosely within his grasp, arm resting at his side. His eyes opened; slightly confused at the reality before him, he turned a wide circle to view the auditorium. A whisper of a kiss brushed his cheek, a caress of a hand he knew so well brushed through his hair.

Spell-binding - just as wonderful as ever. =D=

3. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Aww. That was well done. Thanks.=D=

4. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Wow! Great update! I was so happy for Obi-Wan when his mom showed up! The whole scene was very touching and beautiful!

I'm really enjoying the relastionship between Kale and Obi-Wan, especially since they've managed to work out most of the kinks.

?Dad will be sorry he missed this.?

?I hope to see him soon, if the force allows.? Her form softly flickered.

Does this mean what I think it might??? :eek: :_| [face_praying]

Again, great post and thanks for the PM!

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    That was a nice touch having his Mother appear to him.[face_love]

The Force is a mysterious entity and I like that you used it
    to bring back the Force spirit of his mother.[face_dancing]
    It has given Obi-Wan purpose.[face_idea]

I hope she's only going to visit Kale and not return to
    the Force with him.[face_worried]

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Very sweet.

Kale is going to arrive home safe, right ... ?[face_worried]

7. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Absolutely awesome story!
    I really[face_love] your writing-style.
    Can you please add me to your PM list?[face_praying]

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great update. I really liked how he was able to get advice from both parents but it's ultimately his decision. Well done.

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Her form faded a little more. ?Remember what you promised me.?

At his confused look, she reminded, ?Live out loud.? A refreshing breeze blew around them and she was gone.

Oh so beautifully done! :_| [face_love] =D=

10. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    I agree with Diane, it's ultimately his decision...here's hoping he makes the right one! Great job, my friend.

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author Note: Thank you all so much for the nominations! [face_blush] :) I apologize for not posting replies with this chapter, but time is short at the present. I'm planning to post replies soon, and I've got several PM's in my inbox that I'm working my way to; I'll post a reply as soon as I can. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I appreciate each and every one of you. @};-

I hope you all enjoy the new post. I can't decide whether to continue the story on this thread or to start another one for a sequel. This post in and of itself could technically stand as the ending for this story. Let me think on it. If you have any suggestions, let me know. The beginning of this post will more than likely give away which direction the sequel is likely to go...or not. :p

Thanks again! You all are fantastic! =D=

Chapter 35

Three Weeks Later

The Senator stood near his office window looking out over the city planet below, his attention captured by the five spires in the distance. His thoughts lingered on his beloved nephew; the young man had been like a son to him, a testament to the strength of their relationship. When the young man?s father had abandoned the boy and his mother, he had stepped in to help his sister raise her son. The youth had been quick witted and talented; his young wife a complement to his personality, strengths and fallacies. When the young man met with his untimely demise, he had stepped in to help with his surrogate grandchildren. He clenched his fists, his nails digging into his palms. One murderer had finally been brought to justice while the younger of the two sat inside the Jedi Temple protected from the sentencing that should have been handed down upon his capture; he had been outvoted in the Senatorial chamber as to the future of the youth who had taken his nephew?s life.

?Senator,? his secretary called to him. ?You?re niece is here to see you.?

Turning away from his thoughts, he smiled congenially at his assistant while motioning for her to show his guest in.

The young woman smiled upon seeing her uncle. The man was tired and overworked if the dark circles beneath his eyes were any indication. She walked over, eagerly offering him an embrace when she reached him. He welcomed the action, looking behind her for the two shadows that usually accompanied her.

She pulled away, pulling him over to the sofa just on the other side of his desk. ?They?re still in school; I thought to come by to see how you were doing.?

He rubbed a hand over his face, trying in vain to put on a happier façade. She reached over and took his hand, pulling it down toward the cushions while encasing it between her palms. ?I know you miss him,? she whispered. ?So do I.?

?You?re doing well,? he suggested.

?I?m moving on if that?s what you mean.? She patted his hand for emphasis.

?I?m stuck in yesterday, young one, not sure of how to break free or if I want to break free.? His eyes drifted toward the panoramic view beyond his window.

?Breaking free doesn?t mean forgetting, Uncle. It just means that we put one foot in front of the other, each day becoming easier than the one before.? She released his hand and reached into her handbag, pulling out an envelope.

She handed it to him and waited until he opened it. ?They?re pictures from the vacation you sent us on. I knew you would want some new ones to put on your desk and I thought the ones of the children playing on the beach would be perfect.?

The Senator smiled at the photos; his grandchildren were smiling and playing without a care in the world.

?Their father should have been there,? he murmured.

The young woman reached over and placed a comforting hand on his arm. ?I went to the trial.?

His eyes quickly readjusted to hers. ?Oh, Mia, You shouldn?t have put yourself through that.?

Her smile was sad when she offered it in response. ?I needed closure. Did you know that the young man was there too??

Having captured his complete attention, he sho

12. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Such poignant insight into how undercover missions affect Jedi. Good details! =D= So Obi has decided to become a padawan. I wonder what compromises were made with the Council before he accepted? About your dilemma on whether or not to end the story there. I agree that it's a good stopping point as long as you continue the story in a sequel. [face_praying] ;) The unresolved plot threads need resolving. I assume you'll address the plot regarding the unnamed senator. *cough* Could that be Palpatine, by chance?

Anyway, I'll certainly read any sequel you come up with! I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats on your nom, Bek! You deserve it.

13. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Very interesting that the senator is angry. Leads the way into a sequel.

Congratulations for you nominations, your story is worthy of praise.[face_dancing]

I'm happy that Obi-Wan decided to remain as a Jedi.=D=

14. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Nice conclusion, or beginning .... ;)

=D= for noms!

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I WONDERED when that Senator would show up again - oh boy, Obi better watch out.

The widow would make a fine Jedi.

?I understand the need for what we do. But I don?t understand how they think that we can do this time and again and have these events not permanently affect us.? Kale shook his head with disgust while wiping a hand over his face. Resting the limb on the table next to the cup encased in his other hand, he noted, ?Hebs can only do so much and then what? Has the Council even thought about that? What happens when one of us returns unrepairable due to the things we?ve seen or what we?ve had to do or become??

Qui-Gon nodded. This conversation was one they had had one too many times before, but this time the accusations were somewhat harsher than all the others. Qui-Gon knew his friend would work hard to bring himself and Reed out of the depths of misery and doubt that this assignment had instilled. If for no other reason that the two young men who needed him, Kale would once again rise above the self-reproach his undercover persona had inflicted on his heart.

How poignant and heartwrenching an insight into the "evil" good men must sometimes do to bring down evil. Build too many compartments and one can easily justify future acts of cruelty; build too few, and suffer.

Just a wonderful chapter on some many levels - and Obi's a padawan! [face_dancing]

Congrats on all your noms and I wish you the best of luck! [face_good_luck]

16. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    =D= Wonderful post!! I especially liked the imagery here-

The sunlight slipped around the small blanket covering the window and peered through a slit on the edge. Dancing happily at the accomplishment, it ever so slowly slithered across the room until it fell across the face of the sleeping occupant. Obi-Wan moaned and turned away from the offending beam. He had thought he had outsmarted the ever scheming shaft of light that seemed to get through or around whatever barrier he encased over the window. The light, now shining over the back of his head reflected off the white wall to which his face was turned. The echo, though not as bright, still managed to bother the teen. Throwing a hand over his eyes helped momentarily until he needed a change of position.

And, YAY! Obi-Wan decided to be a Jedi! I loved how you kept us hanging until Kale noticed the Padawan braid. :D

I concur with the previous comments- this is a good spot for an ending... or a beginning... ;) I'll definitely be up to reading whatever comes next, seeing how we've got some unresloved plot threads hanging about.

=D= Congrats on the nominations and good luck!! [face_good_luck]

~Celeste

17. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Great post. I'm with you if you continue or start a sequel. The writing is always so great.[face_love]

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Congratulations, my friend, on qualifying for Best AU for this story as well as Best OC Female (Aunt Jess).

[face_good_luck]

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely. I really loved that Obi-Wan seems to be at peace with his choice. However, when he hears about his father's missions, he might not be so sure. Well done.

20. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Dear Readers,

I want to apologize to all of you who nominated this story and its characters. Due to work, home life, and a personal family situation, I was unable to get my excerpts in on time. :(

I want to thank you all again for nominating Not Myself for Best AU, for nominating Kale Kenobi for Best Original Male Character, and for nominating Aunt Jes for Best Original Female Character.

So even if life had allowed me a respite to get my excerpts in on time, even if another wonderful fic walks away with the prize, I still count this story as having won in its own right. To me, it isn't the votes that make a story a success, it's the readers: they are the ones that keep the author inspired by their reviews, they are the ones who encourage the story forward by offering their thoughts, ideas and insights (perhaps something the author hadn't thought of), and they are the ones who give the characters meaning and life by their own interpretations when reading.

It's hard to get across with words exactly what I'm thinking right now. Please know that I am grateful for all of you[:D] and I appreciate the fact that you thought enough of these characters to nominate this story.

Thank you so much!!

Sincerely,
    Bekah

21. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    You're quite welcome, Becca. This is a quality story and deserves every accolade it receives. Sorry to hear your life has been so hectic lately. All of us have problems that prevent us from devoting time to our hobbies and passions. I hope yours get resolved in a positive way soon. I look forward to reading more of this wonderous tale.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    This story is so good it has a wonderful chance DESPITE the lack of excerpts. Thank YOU for bringing this story and its characters into our lives.

23. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    I think your story is good enough on its merits. Anyone who is reading it
    knows how good it is.

Good luck[face_good_luck]

24. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
  25. PrincessBrookSolo

PrincessBrookSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2007