"Not Of This Fold" (K/J/Z) -- Chapter 18 up 14 June!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, Jag isn't related to them. Whatsoever. For one thing, he gets his green eyes from his mother, not his father.

I take it no one here was reading the Kyp/Zekk Similarities thread over in EU Literature? We discussed the heck out of this whole thing. Well, sort of.

I haven't been able to write much of anything in the past two days, so I'll have to spend some time today writing. I might just have to write posts here, instead of on my computer.

Dana
  2. The_Hooded_One Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Runaway_Shadow Jedi Master

star 4
    UP

Post more soon, then I can read them when I get back!
  4. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!

HOW IS EVERYONE GOING TO REACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Master_Jaina1011 Force Ghost

star 4
    ohhhhhh interesting. no i havent. i have been only here for the past few months. i havent even checked the other boards for awhile . . .
  6. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Here's some more. :) Sorry I've been letting this one lag. This one's a little more difficult to write, because I have no idea where it's going.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Twin Suns mess hall, Kyp sat next to Jaina and watched Zekk, who sat at the other end of their table. Also at the table were Anakin, Jacen, Tahiri, and one of the non-Jedi pilots.

Now that Kyp knew, he wondered how he possible could have missed it, in the four years he'd known the younger Jedi. How could Jaina have missed it, as close as she was to both of them?

He wondered what had happened to Danel and Ayra. Zekk said that his parents had died when the boy was nine, and he was now twenty-one. Twelve years, then. They'd died when Kyp himself was Zekk's age.

Kyp thought about that for several moments. That meant that when he'd thought his entire family was dead, none of them had, in fact, been so. His parents had been alive, and with a third son, and Zeth had been on Carida. And within the next four years, Kyp had accidentally killed his own brother, and his parents had died.

He must have made some sound, because Jaina turned concerned brown eyes his way.

"Is something wrong?" she asked quietly.

"Ask me again sometime," he replied, his eyes still on his brother. How had his parents escaped Kessel? He'd been told they'd died in the prison revolt. One of the survivors had presented Kyp with his mother's wedding ring, as proof. What if she'd been forced to leave her child on Kessel? What if she'd been told Kyp was dead?

"Excuse me, Great One." Kyp got to his feet, feeling overwhelmed.

Jaina stood, as well. "Kyp . . ."

"I'm not feeling well. I . . . need to lie down."

Jaina watched him go, then slowly sank back down into her chair. Something had upset him, but what?

She thought back to how intently he'd been staring down the table. Who had he been-

Her eyes landed on Zekk and a jolt shot through her. There was something about Zekk, that she'd never seen before. She couldn't quite put a name to it . . .

Jaina glanced briefly at the seat Kyp had occupied, picturing the man she was somewhat involved with, then looked back at Zekk.

And nearly fell out of her chair.

Why hadn't she seen it? Black hair, green eyes. Similar noses, the same jawline. Most telling was the shape of the eyes, and the similar sweep of the ebony brows.

She did a quick mental calculation, her heart beating rapidly. No, it wasn't possible that Kyp was Zekk's father. Kyp had been thirteen when Zekk was born. That meant-

Jaina stood up. "Excuse me," she said to her siblings, and the others gathered. "Zekk, if you could come with me for a minute."

"Sure, uh, Great One."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana
  7. sith_lady17 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now Jaina figured it out... ;)
    Good post!
  8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OH WOW! She figured it out! This rocks!

I can't believe she thought he was his son, though! That's too funny for words! [face_laugh]
  9. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, think of it this way: If Kyp were Zekk's father, and Jaina married Kyp, her stepson would be older than her, and in love with her. :D But, I'm already in demented territory with "Aftershock", so we're not going there. :)

I actually didn't even think that was funny until I reread it . . .

Dana
  10. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AH! Her stepson would be older than her and in love with her....FREAKY! It sounds like a soap! Disgusting! I'm really glad he's his brother instead!
  11. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    But if she married Kyp, it would be her brother-in-law who's in love with her. And if she married Zekk, it'd still be the same. :D Don't worry, she won't marry Zekk.

Dana
  12. SWMara Jedi Knight

star 3
    LOL, this was good. More? :)
  13. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dana, you perv!

J/k I love it!

14. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, since I actually HAVE more I could post, sure. :) It's a long one, too. :D

Kyp was startled when the door to his quarters slid open abruptly, admitting Jaina and a bewildered Zekk. "I, uh . . . This is a surprise."

Jaina let the door slide shut, then looked at both men. After several passes, she shook her head. "Emperor's black bones," she muttered.

A sinking filled Kyp. She'd figured it out.

"What's going on?" Zekk asked.

Kyp slowly stood, and pulled the rotating holocube from his pocket. "Jaina, I just figured this out earlier today. I'm just as surprised as you are."

"Really? 'Cause I'm surprised enough that I almost fell out of my chair when I put it together," she said.

"Put what together?" Zekk demanded. "What's going on?"

Kyp looked at his brother, then asked, "Do you have that holo I saw earlier? I mean, with you?"

Zekk pulled it out of his pocket. "Yeah."

The Jedi Master cycled through the holos on his, and settled on the one of Danel and Ayra Durron. Then he put both holos side by side on the small desk in his quarters.

Jaina gasped. Zekk stared for a moment, before realisation dawned. "How did you get pictures of my parents?"

The older man sighed. "This is a picture of your parents, on the right. This is a picture of my parents, on the left. Maybe it would be more accurate to say, these are pictures of our parents."

Zekk opened his mouth, but no sound came out. After a full minute, he managed to say, "I don't believe you."

"What were your parents' names?" Kyp asked quietly.

"Uh . . . Danel and-"

"Ayra," Kyp finished. "Danel and Ayra Durron. Who were supposed to have been killed in a prison revolt on Kessel when I was ten. But here they are, in this holo of yours, twelve years later."

"Oh," Jaina said suddenly. "Zeth. Kyp. Zekk. It makes so much sense."

Zekk looked between them, apparently realising this wasn't a joke. "Sith spit! You're my brother!"

Kyp sat down on the sleepcouch. "Tell me about your parents. What do you know?"

"Well, I was nine when they died, on Ennth. It's this planet that has horrible earthquakes every eight years. It destroys everything. Anyway, I was a year old when the first one hit, and I was nine when the second one hit. They were killed trying to get the last of our things."

"How did they come to be on Ennth?"

"They never really told me. But they were sad a lot. I got the impression they weren't from Ennth. They didn't ever really talk about life before Ennth. But Mother once mentioned . . ." Zekk stopped, remembering suddenly something that had been at the edges of his memory for most of his life. "Mother said once that I'd had two older siblings, but they'd died when they were very young, and it was fortunate I'd lived. I thought she meant they'd had trouble having kids."

Kyp sighed heavily. "To think I could have had twelve more years with my parents."

Zekk stared hard at Kyp. "This is my worst nightmare. I mean, to find out that you are my only living family . . ."

"I'm not entirely thrilled, myself," Kyp admitted. "But if you think about it, you're more like me than you think."

"Oh? Like how?"

"I spent eight years living in the spice mines of Kessel. That was from ten until eighteen, when Han rescued me. You had Peckhum, but you were still on your own, pretty much, from nine until seventeen. We're both pretty good pilots. I flew the Sun Crusher through the Maw, and you won the Ord Mantell Derby. And we both have a history with the dark side."

"At least I didn't blow up a solar system and kill over a billion people, including our own brother!" Zekk gritted.

"I didn't voluntarily study with Dark Jedi instead of giving the Jedi Academy a chance."

"Um," Jaina put in. "Actually, you did. Well, you were on Yavin, what, about a week before you turned to the dark side?"

"Okay, point taken. But there was that week or so before I turned to the dark side." Ky
  15. Jez_3-14159265358979 Jedi Master

star 4
    Great Post! i hope kyp and zekk don't kill each other. I like them both.
  16. SWMara Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wonder if this works again and again: More? :D
  17. PadmeJainasolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    cool! I just found this story and love it! more?
  18. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They shouldn't kill each other...

But Kyp should kill Zekk! [face_devil]

Great post! I liked that! Is it too soon to ask for more?
  19. PadmeJainasolo Jedi Knight

star 2
  20. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Okay. Here ya go.

Once the two men got used to the idea that they were brothers, they spent several hours exchanging anecdotes about their parents, or life on the respective colonies they'd grown up on. The one subject they mutually avoided was Jaina Solo. Kyp didn't know if he loved Jaina, though he certainly deeply cared for her. But the thought of her having possibly any romantic relationship with Zekk filled him with jealousy.

"I'm still not sure how he did it, but Zeth convinced me that I could walk on the water if I just thought about it really hard," Kyp was saying now.

"And you were how old?"

"Four or five. Anyway, when Zeth went out to demonstrate, I didn't know it, but he'd set rocks in the shallows, just under the surface, like the stepping stones at Exar Kun's temple on Yavin IV."

Zekk grinned. He could sense where this story was going.

Kyp saw him grin, and nodded. "He walked on the rocks, and I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd seen. I got really excited to try, and he said to just try anywhere. So I stepped off the dock, and went right into the water, over my head."

By that point, the younger man was laughing so hard his face was red.

Smiling wryly, Kyp continued. "Dad got me out of the water, and scolded us both. Zeth had to go for a week without dessert, for tricking me. And I had to go a week without dessert for believing him."

Zekk nodded. "That's the Dad I remember. Didn't put up with foolishness."

"Except when it was Mom." Kyp's tone was hushed. "She was his weak spot. He'd do anything for her."

"Include go back to the house to get whatever it was she wanted, and get them both killed," Zekk added.

They were both silent for several moments, then Kyp asked, "Are you absolutely certain they're dead? I mean, if they escaped Kessel, maybe . . ."

Zekk frowned, then said, "It's possible. I never saw them. But . . . I'd say no. I'd like to believe they aren't dead. Can you imagine that, meeting them again, after all these years, and telling them we met each other?"

"And tell them I killed their oldest son, along with a billion other people?" Kyp's voice was quiet and harsh. "I can just imagine what Dad would say to that."

"There is that," Zekk agreed, in a subdued tone.

The older man sighed. "I'd like to think they're alive. I don't think they are. But if . . . if we ever discover otherwise, we'll deal with that if it happens."

His brother nodded, in silent agreement. Then, they returned to a happier subject, and talked late into the night.

Dana
  21. Jez_3-14159265358979 Jedi Master

star 4
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww that was so cute. Kyp and Zekk make great brothers.
  22. PadmeJainasolo Jedi Knight

star 2
    that was so cute! can't wait for more!
  23. Master_Jaina1011 Force Ghost

star 4
    ooohhhhh Coool! i always thought there were too many dark haired green eyes people in the EU. anyway, keep it going!
  24. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yay, Kyp and Zekk making up! :D Great stuff, Dana! :)

Jae Angel
  25. major_jedi_failure Jedi Master

star 1
    i think del ray should let you write a book.

really, you posting here on the boards (not that i'm complaining) is just a massive waste of talent.

[please note that the above kiss-ass statement,although straight from the heart, is intended to leech off a few quick posts, and should be acted on accordingly].
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.