main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Not on the Schedule - Ben Skywalker Romance - COMPLETE 2/13

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Not on the Schedule
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: About 25 years post NJO
    Characters: Ben Skywalker, OC
    Genre: Romance, drama, humor
    Summary: Sometimes things happen that completely mess up even the best schedules.
    Notes: Based on an OC in the Love Story in Red series.

Not on the Schedule

The timing was all wrong. This was to be expected, of course, given his family history.

He had no time fall in love. Falling in love was messy and complicated. It simply was not on his schedule for years and years, and if there was one thing Ben Skywalker was quite dedicated to, it was his schedule.

Having lived with the chaos that inevitably found the Skywalker clan again and again, he had developed a rather eccentric fondness for schedules. He liked their orderliness, their predictability, the way they did not surprise.

Ben did not care for surprises.

Surprises were usually unpleasant and occasionally deadly, at least if one was a Skywalker or related to one. So surprises were not one of Ben?s favorite things, not at all.

Therefore, it was a shock when he ran into her. Literally.

He had been turning a corner, looking at his schedule again and making notes on the data pad, when he had run right into her. He heard her softly grunt and then watched her fall back onto her behind.

Glaring up at him, she pushed back the dark, flowing hair that tumbled about her shoulders. Then she looked at broken data pad on the ground a cry of irritation. Her dark eyes flashed up to him once more.

?I?m going to kill you,? she ground out.

And in that instant, Ben Skywalker fell in love.

To his amazement, he discovered that he was a sucker for such an original introduction. It had worked on his father, after all. Why not on him? He smiled down at her and offered his hand. She studied it for a moment, as if to assure herself that it was clean and then she placed her dainty hand in his.

Ben gave her a helpful pull and she came to her feet. She stared up at him and frowned once more. ?You?re too tall,? she said. ?I don?t like tall men.?

?I can cut off my legs at the knee if that will help,? he replied quickly, still not letting go of her hand.

She tilted her head, as if seriously considering the matter. But then she sighed regretfully. ?No, I don?t think that will help much.?

?We have a quandary, then,? Ben said softly. ?Perhaps if you wore high heels?? And his eyes went down to her very sensible boots and she laughed.

?Oh no! I don?t think so,? she said with a shake of her head. ?I won?t wear those things even for my future husband.?

?Future husband?? Ben?s voice squeaked a bit and he blushed.

?Whoever that might be,? she replied smoothly. ?Oh relax, I wasn?t talking about you. Man, that?s some ego you have there!?

?Good,? he murmured, trying desperately to ignore the pang of disappointment her words had evoked. ?Because marriage isn?t on the schedule for years and years.?

She arched one dark brow. ?Have a schedule for that sort of thing, do you??

Somewhat pompously, he replied, ?I have a schedule for everything.?

She leaned forward and poked his chest with one slim finger. ?Your mom told me you were like that.?

?You know my mother?? Ben was confused now. Why had his mother not introduced him to this gorgeous creature?

With a shrug, she began to brush off his shirt. ?Of course I do,? she said. ?I work for the government and I deal with Mara quite frequently actually.?

Ben stepped back one pace and the young woman stepped forward. He tugged at his collar and suddenly felt a cold sweat break out over his body. ?Is it getting warmer to you??

?No.?

?Oh?I feel warm.?

?Perhaps you have a fever,? she said, her hand going up to his forehead. ?Bend down, you?re too tall.?

?You said that already,? he reminded her.

?Yeah, well you?re still too tall, so bend already,? she ordered.

Obediently, Ben leaned forward and felt her cool, soft hand on his forehead. She h

2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    First post! :D

[face_laugh]

Trust Ben to get the height from his grandfather! And he's a ladies man, too. Who'd of guessed? ;)

Great vig, Vader.

3. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004

Well, of course he did. He's his father's son.

I loved it. It was hilarious. The banter between Ben and Megira was absolutely classic. It completely reminded me of Luke and Mara.

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    [face_laugh] Great. Those two are made for each other. Of course Ben would fall for a woman who threatened to kill him. Funny they both have data pads when they crash.

5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Awww--this is great! I love Ben...he's a bit like his Uncle Han, huh? ;) And I love that Megira knows Mara...somehow I think that is very handy. LOL And I love the parallels between Luke and Mara and Ben and Megira. :D And Ben seems very like his Mother's son with the scheduling...that just strikes me as very Mara. Heck, you know, I just love everything you write!

Oh, dear. My husband has managed to get a copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special from his brother, and he's torturing me with it...it's so bad...it hurts...must look away from TV and read more fanfic....

6. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    [face_laugh] Awesome vignette! :D Ben sounded just like his uncle! :eek: Han must've babysat him just a little too much. :p

And that opening line is one of the best. [face_love] Skywalker men fall in love in snap with that line! I'm sure Mara shared that bit with Megira. :p

Lovely little piece.

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002

To his amazement, he discovered that he was a sucker for such an original introduction. It had worked on his father, after all. Why not on him?

[face_laugh] Why not, indeed? :p Beautiful vignette, and great dynamic between Ben and Megira. :D

8. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004

[face_laugh] Worked for his parents.

Great job!

9. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Fantastic vignette! :D Ben's a bit of a smoothie, it seems ...he must have been taking lessons from Han. :p I just loved that introduction. Like father, like son...

=D= Great job. I loved the banter. :D

10. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    ?Like Ben Skywalker is a lady?s man who is out with a different woman every night,? she replied, her eyes challenging him to deny it.

Now that's definitely NOT like his father...

Great viggie, VL - where in the galaxy did you find time to write this???

(Hope you have time to write more of 'em!)

oldj

11. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I adored this! [face_love] It was truly lovely, [color=crimsonVaderLVR64[/color]!

Ambyr

12. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    LOL! Great stuff!

13. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Aww...loved this. Megira was great and s´he really seems to fit Ben well. And Megira was so like Mara- they really were right when they said men look for women like their mothers *grins*

14. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004

*giggles* This was really adorable and funny.

15. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Highly amusing...
    Cute, but not saccharine (a rare combination indeed).
    thanks.

16. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, after living through Hurricane Dennis I needed a laugh. This was highly amusing and it's funny to see how they met.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Woman... do you do nothing but write all day long??? I worried that being modded would cut into your prolificness (new word) and here you are writing delightful romantic encounters. I am just far too envious. :D :p

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Light and fluffy -- perfect.

Lovely vig, VL. Lovely. :)

19. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I love her! She's brilliant, I can just imgine her with Ben. LOL. She's exactly what it seems like he needs, someone to distract him completely. Wonderful! :)

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    JadeLotus It's fun messing with characters! I wanted him tall, like his handsome grandfather!

JediJainaSoloFel Like father, like son.

RebelMom They're busy people!

ginchy Yep, a bit of Solo in there, purely by association.

Jaina_and_Jag She didn't tell, she likes to keep that a secret. But she DID want her son to meet Megira!

Gabri_Jade Thank you! I'm thrilled you liked it.

FelsGoddess Thanks! :D

Knight_Aragorn Yes, he's a ladies' man all right!

oldjedinurse I get up earlier and go to bed later. Simple!

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Thank you! :D

Azeria_Jade Glad you liked it

Alethia He needs a strong woman who won't be impressed by the name! ;)

Smuggler_Shidakis

Neo-Paladin Thank you! Glad you liked it!

J_M_Bulldog Glad you're okay! [:D]

Healer_Leona Yeah, you warned me about that, didn't you. It's true by the way, true.

Idrelle_Miocovani Thanks! [face_blush]

Kazzy Yeah, I liked her too. I have this weird feeling she'll be showing up again! :D

21. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    LOL this was perfect! I loved it. Liked the allusions! Like father like son :)

Great job!

22. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Deja vu! :eek:

Ben's a ladies man! :D He takes after a certain uncle we know... [face_thinking]

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Elfsheen Thank you! Glad you liked it.

Vongchild I guess he was hanging out a bit too much with his Corellian uncle!

This started out as a vignette and has all of a sudden turned itself into a short story! :D

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

Ben walked into his parents? apartment. Mara was frowning over some sort of official document and his father was nowhere to be seen.

?Where?s Dad?? He asked.

?In the kitchen,? Mara replied after giving Ben a kiss on the cheek as he bent down to hug her. ?He?s cooking dinner.?

?You know, Mom,? Ben chided. ?One day you?re going to have to learn how to cook.?

?Why mess with success?? Mara shrugged. ?Besides, he likes doing it.?

?Uh huh,? Ben murmured skeptically as he sat down.

?So, what prompted this visit from the prodigal son?? Mara asked.

?I?m a prodigal now??

Frowning slightly, she studied him.

Ben flushed slightly under his mother?s scrutiny and suddenly discovered that his boots were incredibly interesting.

A knowing chuckle from his mother caused more fire to blaze across his cheeks.

?I met a girl,? he said suddenly, though he had had no intention of mentioning Megira to his mother at all.

Mara sat back and crossed her arms over her chest. ?Really? Now that?s shocking,? she said. ?You meet girls all the time, thus your reputation.?

?So I like to date!? Ben retorted, his tone somewhat defensive.

?I [i]wish[/i] you were only dating them,? Mara muttered under her breath.

Ben decided to ignore his mother?s words and she decided to ignore the bright red color in his face.

?Do tell,? Mara said dryly.

?I met a girl,? Ben repeated.

?You already told me that. Anything special about this one?? Mara asked shrewdly.

?No,? Ben replied tersely.

She shrugged, but her eyes were sharp as she observed her son. ?Do you want to stay for mid-meal? I?m sure your father prepared enough for the three of us.?

He hesitated. [i]What if Megira tried to contact him? And what would she think if he wasn?t there?[/i] Suddenly he straightened. It was not a good sign at all to be thinking this way, not at all.

?Unless you have something else on your schedule?? Mara asked knowingly. And where [i]was[/i] the boy?s ubiquitous data pad with his precious schedule? This was getting more interesting with every passing moment.

?Yeah, that sounds good,? Ben replied. He was [i]not[/i] going to wait at his apartment for her to call. Most definitely not. Unless? No, not a good idea. ?When I get married my wife is going to be a great cook,? he blurted out, then put his hands over his mouth in horror. Where in the seven hells of Corellia had that come from?

Mara burst out laughing at the look on her son?s face. Shaking her head, she told him, ?Well, that?s progress at least.?

?What do you mean?? Ben asked suspiciously.

?Well, usually when you?re complaining about my lack of domestic skills you?d say something like [i]if[/i] you get married,? she observed. ?But I do believe this is the first time I?ve heard you say [i]when.[/i]? She paused, a sly smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. ?Interesting??

?Dad!? Ben called out, so obviously changing the subject that Mara had to laugh. He got up abruptly and went in search of his father. Luke was standing over the cooking unit, anxiously peering at something in the pot. He looked up and saw Ben and left his stirring to grab his son in a fierce hug. ?I thought you were here!? Luke said as he pulled back and thumped his son loudly on the back.

?So why didn?t you come rescue me?? Ben asked plaintively as he began snacking on some dried bantha meat.

Luke laughed. ?Your mother was in rare form, was she??

?When is she [i]not[/i] in rare form?? Ben asked, still disgruntled at his mother?s astute observation.

?That?s true,? Luke said, an affectionate smile on his lips. As always, when his father talked about Mara, a soft look came into his eyes.

Strangely, all of the harsh and fantastic experiences of his father?s life sat lightly on his face. He looked expe

24. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Great job! More soon?

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    *laughs*

This is a lovely little story, VL! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.