main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Not the Best of Circumstances (3955 BBY) a vignette for the OC challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SoA, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Title: Not the Best of Circumstances
    Author: SoA
    Timeframe: 3955 BBY, between the KOTOR games
    Characters: OCs: Kionee Rinnh and Veea Tewa
    Genre: nostalgia
    Summary: After a rather bad break-up eight years ago, Kionee meets her old co-pilot again for the first time since then.

If you want to read more about Kionee, she appears in Mishandled and Crux: The Siege of Taris, as well as Under the Shadow of the Builders as a side character, though doesn't start to play a big part until near the end.

[u]Not the Best of Circumstances[/u]

Kionee Rinnh stepped out of her apartment and locked the door behind her with a contented sigh.

Her apartment and her door.

It had been nearly six months since the Telos Restoration Project had granted her the small apartment on Citadel Station in return for regularly hauling cannoks, flipdarters, and shrubbery. The run from Onderon to Telos took her two days of hyperspace travel and granted her two more days of holiday on either end. During those two days on Telos, she had only to briefly supervise the Ithorians who unloaded her ship, then meet with their leader to take orders for her next run. The rest of the time was hers, and it baffled her.

The regular runs between two and only two planets, the free time, and the apartment were something entirely new to her. At twenty-seven, Kionee had never before owned her own place and never before had such a predictable job. Her freighter, the [i]Viridian[/i], had been her home and her narrow bunk in the cabin her bed. After growing up hopping from planet to planet with her father, then working ten years freighting produce for the family business all across the galaxy, Kionee had not even considered wanting anything more.

But now that she had stability?and importance?she couldn't go back.

At first, Kionee hadn't known what to do with the studio apartment. The room was little more than a durasteel box with a few wide windows that looked down on the distorted landscape below. It came with a bed, a dresser, a table, and one chair. The blank, steely walls of the [i]Viridian[/i] had never bothered her before, but she soon found the itch to decorate. She hung pictures of some of her favorite places in the galaxy?the Nubian planes, Ahto City, Drallish Meadows, Rodian jungles, and Telos before the war, among others?along with tacky posters from some of her favorite movies and holodramas. She soon made a point of bringing fresh flowers all the way from Iziz to put in the blue glass vase on her table every time she made the trip.

Citadel Station Resident Module 034 C-4 was hers, Kionee Rinnh's, and she celebrated it every time she arrived back 'home.'

Her apartment lacked a kitchen, but that was fine by her. She didn't know how to cook well anyway. Citadel Station already housed a number of cantinas and two or three up-scale restaurants. Sometimes Kionee treated herself to one of the restaurants?she could easily afford it on her generous salary?but tonight she felt like something simpler.

Kionee made her way down the residential block and smiled at the handful of neighbors she passed. She knew the names of only a few, but she did recognize most of the residents of her module by now. It was a pleasant place for everyone from young families to freighter pilots like her to live. The Ithorians hadn't even left the steel and re-bar station lifeless. Trees and trickling little fountains lined the center of all the residential corridors.

The rail shuttle was at the station when she arrived at the far end of the module. Kionee ducked inside with a few other passengers. They were undoubtedly heading out for dinner as well. She settled into an empty seat and soon the doors slid shut.

The shuttle car raced along its track, through the scaffolding of the massive

2. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    I finally feel like I'm getting to know Kionee a bit better! I'll check out the two links you posted as well.

Good vignette, it's always fun to see two people who were/are friends arguing about some pretty serious stuff. And even when someone is a high moralist, it's damned difficult to imagine a friend being an enemy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.