main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Not to be Traveled Lightly (Part 4 up now! Response to Challenge #17 for the OC Dueling Circle)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by correllian_ale, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Title: Not to be Traveled Lightly
    Author: correllian_ale (who else pops out so much dribble)
    Timeframe: roughly one year after TPM
    Characters: OCs (duh) (maybe some other faces you may recognize;))
    Jedi Knight Figii (female Gotal)
    Padawan Caleé (human female)
    Summary: a response to Alley Skywalker's OC Challenge #17:
    Grab your OC master/padawan team and write about an event that is ought to be memorable to both of them. Weather it be in a positive way or a negative way. This one is open to many possibilities so I hope you have fun with it.
    Notes:The Master/Padawan are from my WIP entitled:There's No Such Thing As Luck (It's a shameless plug and I don't care.)
    I have missed the past few OC Challenges because I never finished in time, so I figured if I just start posting one, then the OC (obsessive compulsive) in me will be forced to finish it.:p

[b][u]Not to be Traveled Lightly[/u][/b]

[i]Part 1[/i]

Standing in the center of the circular room at the top of the Temple's highest tower, the normally respectful Jedi Knight ignored the judging eyes that rested upon her and her young padawan. For a moment, she ignored their very presence; opting instead to marvel at the beautiful landscape of Coruscant the Council's Chamber provided, whilst she calmed her thoughts, weighing the request that had passed from Master Windu's lips to her ears.

?Might I ask why Master Yoda is not here for this request?? the Gotal Jedi Knight asked of the room?s similarly dressed occupants.

Master Mace Windu was the only one to be able to address that question honestly, for the answer was truly his responsibility, ?He doesn?t know.? He stated flatly.

A slight noise from the child standing next to the Gotal drew all the eyes away from Mace Windu, and onto herself.

?Your Padawan scoffs at the words of Master Windu?? the cone headed Ki-Adi-Mundi queried.

The Gotal, known to all present as Figii rolled her attention lazily towards the Cerean Jedi Master, her gray eyes focusing on her old friend, despite the shaggy overhanging brows.

?Perhaps if you should address my Padawan herself, instead of behaving as if she weren?t present; unless of course you?re afraid of her answer to your question,? besmirched the Jedi Knight.

Figii knew she wasn?t entering the good graces of the current Council, all of whom considered them to be infallible. Masters such as Plo Koon, Poof, and Windu regarded her discriminately; all of which she was certain held her in no form of high esteem. On the opposite end of the spectrum, her Padawan shuffled her feet nervously at her Master?s rudeness, and her guiding the Council?s attention to her.

Mace Windu?s face took on look of overbearing, and indignant seriousness, ?So [i]Padawan[/i], have you anything you would like to add? Anything you might like to say to me, or this Council??

Caleé stepped forward as protocol demanded to meet the scrutiny of the combined Jedi Council, minus its most influential member, feeling a sense of supportiveness flow from her Master, Figii.

Mace flicked his gaze briefly from Padawan to Master, in what could only be construed as a warning.

?I just find it funny Master Windu.? She finally answered, somewhat sheepishly.

?What is it you find so funny?? demanded the grumpy Jedi Master.

?[i]Yoda doesn?t know[/i], of course he knows, [i]he?s Yoda[/i],? she mimicked the senior Council member?s voice unintentionally, immediately regretting doing so.

A stunned yet mischievous silence settled over the Council as a few of the members, and Knight Figii herself stifled smirks, or pursed their lips to deny outright laughter.

?[i]I?ll risk the gamble[/i],? answered Mace solemnly, before he added a quick, almost unforeseen wink at the fifteen year old girl.

?Might I ask what it is this investigation is to a

2. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    ?Yoda doesn?t know, of course he knows, he?s Yoda,? she mimicked the senior Council member?s voice unintentionally, immediately regretting doing so.

I love her!
    Awesome snippet to get us hooked.

Please sir, I'd like some more. [face_praying]

3. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    ?Perhaps if you should address my Padawan herself, instead of behaving as if she weren?t present; unless of course you?re afraid of her answer to your question,? besmirched the Jedi Knight.

Lol. I like her frankness.

I also enjoyed Caleé's personality too, and I'm really looking foward to more. Any chance there's a PM list I could be added to? [face_batting]

-Commander Tharen-

4. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    ouch! Dang it, corellian_ale! Your dang story lassoed me [face_cowboy]
    You'd better post more before I get loose. *hint hint ;) ;)*
    8-}
    Seriously though, I need more. I really like your chracters. [face_mischief]

5. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005

Alright! I like her!

?The truth.?

Ok now I REALLY wanna know what happins next!

Great start=D=

6. unknown_shore

unknown_shore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2005
    Haha! Interesting pair you have here, c_a. I'm going to see if I can squeeze in reading about their other adventures now.

Anyone who can give the Council a hard time is OK by me. :D

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very intriuging start. I'm not sure what to think of this master/padawan pair who stand beofer the Council. I'll have to follow along to decide. :)

8. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    oqi - Tanks! I thought this would be a nice opportunity to create a backstory for Caleé, instead of just using her as a vessel like in 'Luck'...

MoeTharen - I'm glad you liked the pair, kind of a hippified Jedi who aren't above drinking the Temple's Kool-Aid...(and a PMing I will go).

Mere_K - okay, okay...I hope Part 2 makes ya' fit to be hog tied...then you WON'T get away.

Alley_Skywalker - Thank-you. But can YOU 'Handle the Truth'????

unknown_shore - I hope you do, but if not just enjoy this ride...if you think you can handle the wrath of the council.

Leona best not to dwell on it too much...I'll let you in on a secret...they're just "o.k." :p

Okey-dokey folks...hopefully this won't go past a four parter...

[i]Part 2[/i]

The Rose-colored Republic Cruiser traveled through hyperspace at a speed relegated to a mission of low priority. What Captain Ruf?gatou did not know was although the urgency of the Jedi?s mission was low; the importance of their investigation was probably of the highest priority. Jedi Knight Figii was certain that the current climate, and quite possibly the very future of the entire Jedi Order hinged on the outcome of her discoveries, an epic challenge to be placed on such an unassuming pair of individuals.

The young dark haired human girl looked away from the datapad she was studying to watch as the Klatoonian moved his massive hands deftly across the ship?s controls; his eyes watched gauges and data feeds that were unrelated to the tasks he was performing. She briefly wondered if her mastery over the Force would be as competent and second nature to her as piloting was to their captain.

Her Gotal master, Figii sat in a lounge couch at the back of the bridge, her legs crossed as she meditated on the ramifications of the request the Council made of her and her padawan. It called of subterfuge and deception, in her opinion, methods no Jedi should be found implementing.

?How are we on time Captain?? she asked without opening her eyes.

?We?re about thirty-two standard hours out Master Figii,? the green-skinned bulldog face captain answered, ?I was informed this mission was a level four, if there?s been any change in the mission profile, I need to be kept appraised.?

The captain was referring to the designations for significance level of assignments the Jedi Council allocated to him. The levels of required expediency an assigned pilot needed to be aware of ran from Level 5 for minimal, to Level 1 for extreme importance. Ruf?gatou had been told by Master Windu that the mission was deemed a level four, but Figii knew that was to keep the pilot unaware of the significance of their mission. As far as she could ascertain, the assignment held no danger to the fellow, so there was no reason to enlighten him that he Council in all actuality considered this a Level 1.

Figii rose gracefully from the lounge couch, gliding across the deck to stand beside the captain. She placed her hand on his shoulder, in an attempt to reassure him.

?No my friend, I just wanted to spend some time in private with my padawan, so we could discuss the particulars of this task, and perhaps fit in some much neglected lightsaber practice.?

?Of course Master Figii, the Jedi Stateroom is in order if you wish.?

?Thank-you captain.?

Caleé shut down her datapad, and followed her master off the bridge in silence and without instruction. After the door slid shut to the spacious compartment on the ship reserved for Jedi missions, Figii turned to her padawan and hander Caleé the handle to her learner?s saber, before she removed that hung from her belt. With a wave of her hand, Figii moved the massive wroshyr wood conference table to the side of the room, giving them space for spirited exercise.

The pair moved to the center of the room, paced several steps away from one another, both let their robes fall to the floor, turned to face each other; then bowed deeply. Figii had consistently instructed her padawan against stretchin

9. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    =D= Fantabulastic update. I liked the lightsaber fight between master and apprentice. Even with the Simpsons blaring in the background, it was engrossing and interesting.

10. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Wow!

I love what you're doing here.

Figii had consistently instructed her padawan against stretching prior to practice, impressing upon her that a foe would not wait patiently while she properly to loosen her quads.

Quite true.

?Oh, quite the opposite, my Padawan, the Council needs to prove themselves right.?

Great premise. This is really a neat problem to craft a fic around.

=D=

11. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Mere_K - Alright, I can soundly compete with the Simpsons! You have no idea how happy that makes me....;*sings*, "and for no reason here's Apu.."

oqi - although deep down I know they are usually right, except for Yoda, I've always pretty much detested the Council...don't know why [face_thinking]

Thanks for reading ladies!

[i]Part 3[/i]

?This is where [i]Anakin Skywalker[/i] was born??

Caleé watched out the front viewport of the [i]Consular[/i]-class cruiser, the [i]Fent?hukia[/i]; as the now fabled planet of Tatooine rushed up to meet the Jedi transport.

Captain Ruf?gatou looked sideways at the teenage girl, ?You weren?t expecting someplace that looked like Alderaan, were you missy??

?It?s just that he?s supposed to be so powerful in the Living Force, and this place just seems so?so lifeless. It?s all brown, covered in darker patched of brown; with storms of lighter brown circling the landscape.?

?You mean brown like your Jedi robes??

Caleé smiled at the green Klatoonian, ?Point taken captain.?

Ruf?gatou chuckled softly at the young Jedi as he equalized the stabilizers for their descent.

Caleé and Figii were hardly dressed like Jedi now though; they had shed their traditional robes in favor of less conspicuous khaki-styled trousers, and a gray tunic for the Master and a light blue of the same style for Caleé. Figii and the Jedi Council had decided upon the pair traveling under guises of a Galactic reporter and her student/assistant. The common belief is that it would draw the least amount of suspicion for Figii?s inquiries, and knowledge of events involving the dessert city of Mos Espa in the previous year.

They had packed a change of clothing, and their Jedi gear into hiking packs; along with standard holo-reporter equipment. The transport landed half a kilometer outside of the city limits, due to their desire to keep a low profile by not docking in a public bay. Ruf?gatou felt the spacefarers about would surely recognize the Jedi transport.

Caleé waited by the closed boarding ramp as the captain and her master synchronized their timekeepers and their comm units. As they said their farewells, Ruf?gatou stopped Master Figii and handed her a satchel of molded precious metals.

?Last time a Jedi was here, Republic credits were no good. Just a little bit of the local currency.?

The Gotal smiled as best as her facial structure would allow, and thanked the transport captain before he lowered the ramp, letting the dry hot dessert air fill the ship?s halls. As the two Jedi departed the ship, Caleé squinted against the power of the two mid-morning suns. The air was hot enough to be almost tangible, as the Padawan forced away the doubt of there being any actual breathable air.

The backpack suddenly felt as if it had doubled in weight as she followed Master Figii across the dessert sand on a trek the captain had assure would take no more than thirty minutes. She ignored the feeling of her bare arms actually cooking under the twin suns, as she hoisted the pack higher to shield her neck from the stinging sunrays.

Her master visibly slowed her pace allowing her padawan to fall in step alongside her.

?Our first objective is to interview the boy?s mother,? Figii informed her Padawan.

?Why has the Council waited this long to investigate the claims of Master Qui-Gon, master, I mean you think after the Naboo crisis was over they would have sent an exploratory team as soon as possible.?

?From what I understand,? Figii explained, left unsaid was that any information she shared was only privileged to Caleé?s ears, ?there was much ado about the claims of Master Qui-Gon?s claims of Skywalker?s origin.?

The Gotal paused her explanation to attempt stealing a deep breath from the dusty air, ?Yoda refused to compromise the traditions of the Order regarding the training of an older Force adept, whilst several members of the Council soaked in the need to believe that the ?crazy? Qui-Gon Ginn had actually brought the Chosen One into the temple.?

?Some of the o

12. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    With the eagerness of youth, Caleé ignited her lightsaber first, the blue blade danced in her pupils.

I really liked that line. Vey creative. =D=

Figii rushed her padawan, swinging her lightsaber haphazardly to an untrained eye, before launching her self through the air at her padawan. Caleé dropped flat to the floor, letting Figii over shoot her by a meter or two, then rolled to the right as Figii let the tip of her lightsaber drag across floor, leaving a scorching line in the tile

I really like your lightsaber action. [face_dancing]

?Was he really called the ?Savior of Naboo???

Figii chuckled softly as they walked through the crowded and unfriendly dirt streets of Mos Espa.

?Why do you ask??

Vey interesting. I'm looking foward to the next part. :D

-Commander Tharen-

13. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    ?It?s just that he?s supposed to be so powerful in the Living Force, and this place just seems so?so lifeless. It?s all brown, covered in darker patched of brown; with storms of lighter brown circling the landscape.?

?You mean brown like your Jedi robes??

Is it being implied that Jedi robes are alive, then? o_O

there was much ado about the claims of Master Qui-Gon?s claims of Skywalker?s origin.?

Much ado about nothing, I say. :p

More more more!!!

14. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    Very creative idea, like Caleé, I find it strange that no one investigated Anakin's background before. Hopefully this should shed some light on what the Jedi found. I'm definently anxious to see what happens when the Jedi talk to Shmi.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I read all three posts at once, and I'm glad I did, else I think the suspense would've been terrible. And wonderful. Either way, the first post definently left me wanting to read more and the last line was just perfect.

It was nice to see a pair of Jedi who didn't think of the Council as all-powerful and all-wise demigods, like many modern Jedi do. I just hope Caleé learns that there is a fine line between disagreement and disrespect. This is an excellent theme for a story, and I love the contrast between Yoda and the rest of the Council. As wise as the little green guy is, he won't be around for ever and it probably is time for the others to learn to live without him. Not that it matters in the long run, since he ends up outliving them all anyways.

Speaking of the canon characters, I think that you portrayed them all extremely well, not just the council members, but Watto too. I could actually picture his motions and hear his voice like it was a scene from Episode I.

The lightsaber battle was good too, I like how you combined the mental conversation with the physical fighting so that readers could get a little of each at the same time. Great idea.

I hope the story's nearing its conclusion soon, the deadline's almost here. Whenever the rest is up, I'll be more than willing to read it; I'm too hooked not to.

:)

15. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Thanks for reading my peoples!!![:D]

Moe Tharen - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Mere_K - The whole thing with the brown robes was supposed to be a looks can be decieving sorta thing, but imagine if the Jedi wore robes made from that same living regenerative cloth the Yuuzhan Vong produced...[face_thinking]

Lord_Zeron - Thanks, I did get to finish it in time, just under the wire; but there was sooo much more I wanted to do with this challenge, but time didn't allow...*shrugs*

And now the final chapter!!!!

[i]Part 4[/i]

Figii and Caleé had found the section of Mos Espa the junk dealer had called the ?Slave Quarters? fairly easily, giving the incognito Jedi well more than hour to wait by Watto?s timetable before they would meet with young Skywalker?s mother.

At first Caleé had not understood why her Master had allowed the greedy creature to dictate terms for meeting with the woman, until she had explained her logic in giving the Toydarian the upper hand. Through the reports the Council had from Qui-Gon Jinn, Queen Amidala, and Anakin Skywalker himself; they had knowledge that slaves on Tatooine were embedded with a ?Terminal Chip?; that the owner alone had the pass code to and could activate at anytime. It was a common practice among Hutt slave owners Figii informed her as they walked. She also expressed her concern for the safety of Skywalker?s mother, in the event Watto become uneasy with their visit, and activated the woman?s implant. To Caleé it was another cruel reminder of the reality of the Galaxy, outside the Temple that she had to face.

After locating the woman?s home amongst what was a essentially a dilapidated and run-down apartment complex; in an effort to pass the time, the duo agreed to speak with those they found mulling about, in an attempt to learn more about the mysterious origins of Anakin Skywalker.

For continuity sake, they continued their guise of a Holo-news reporter, and her junior assistant, striking up idle conversations, and making innocent inquires about the only human who had won the ?Boonta Eve Classic?.

In what Caleé had discovered through these conversations, speaking with young and old alike, she thought to be both marvelous, yet deep down, very disconcerting. It was if all who knew the boy now Padawan had found him to be a very kind, polite, courteous child. The difficulty in hearing statements like that was that most Padawans at the Temple had alienated the boy due to his extenuating circumstances, most feeling he had taken the [i]easy[/i] way into the Jedi way of life. Now it would seem Anakin had been carrying on the core essence of what it was to be a Jedi his whole life.

An elderly woman who owned a foodstuffs stand was more than happy to carry on about her experience with the innocent Anakin Skywalker. She told of his helpfulness on occasions when the ever-dangerous sandstorms would come, and Anakin would forsake running home to shelter to aid her in tying down her stand. She said that besides those awful podracing and his mother and friends, the boy?s only joys were simple ones, like the fruity drink she served called Ruby bliel that he couldn?t seem to get enough of.

Caleé spoke to some of the young children that Anakin used to socialize with, and all had pretty much the same sentiment about the child the Jedi knew as the Chosen One, he was a fiercely loyal friend. In fact, the children seemed less impressed by Anakin?s vocation as a future Jedi Knight, than they were in awe that he built a podracer, and won his freedom from slavery to Watto with it. All of them except for one disgruntle Rodian youth named Greedo, but Caleé chalked up his testimony to his ornery personality.

A feeling through the Force urged the teenaged Padawan to excuse herself from her conversation with a boy Anakin?s age named Kitster to view a woman dressed in the gray clothes that were commonplace here in the ?Quarter?. She was plain-faced, yet lovely, despite the signs of dessert life that lined her face.

?That?s Anakin?s mother,? in

16. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    Great conclusion! I'm surprised Anakin's family didn't see more reporters by now, but I suppose he didn't really become famous until the Clone Wars and by that time his only real family had passed away. It was nice to see that Shmi recognized they were Jedi, I wonder if she saw their laserswords.

I noticed the mention of Cliegg in there too, its nice to see that the two met early enough to spend a few years together. And the Epilouge was the perfect ending to a wonderful story; it was interesting to hear Caleé's thoughts about Anakin.

Congradulations on finishing the story in time and good luck for the challenge!

17. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    In her heart, Anakin was the future of the Jedi, and Caleé just hoped she would be around to see him achieve greatness.

:_| That last line actually brought tears to my eyes. No, Caleé, you do not want to see him achieve greatness because that greatness is not what you expected...

Fantastic conclusion, c_ale!

18. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    This was a fantastic story.

It sounds logical that the council would be divided between the other Masters and Yoda. And sending two inconspicuous Jedi to find out if Anakin was the chosen was sounds like it really could have happened.

Though I'm no so sure Figii should have bet her Jedi reputation on it. I'm just saying.

Great answer to the challenge. =D=

19. unknown_shore

unknown_shore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2005
    I just found it again and it's already done! :( But HAH, I can deal with the council just fine. They don't scare me. :)

The concept itself is really interesting; you'd figure the Jedi would want SOME info on where their Chosen One comes from, wouldn't they? So send a couple of gals undercover to find out...

I really love the bit in part four where Threepio launches into his usual spiel, only to have Shmi stop him. It's just one line but it's so very SW-sy...and so typical of poor Threepio. I'm also glad that Shmi learned a bit of her son's exploits.

Figii and Calee (I can't figure out how to put the accent on it on this Mac keyboard) are an interesting pair. Is Figii pronounced "Fiji" or "Figee" like fig, or something else? Working out their philisophical issues while sparring was a great addition, seems very Jedi.

"The Council has reaffirmed its infallability" ouch Yoda! Those words are gonna bite ya in the butt in a few years...

Nice work, c_ale!

20. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Just a shout out of thanks to all who took the time to read, there was a lot left out due to time restraints, but alas...

Lord_Zeron: - thanks. No, Shmi didn't catch any "laser-sword" sightings (they had those packed away in their packs), and throughout the years, this glimps into Anakin's like has a BIg effect on Calee.

Mere_K: Thanks, but you really don't think Calee would like Order 66?

Lola64: Appreciate it, but what I realized later, was that I didn't make clear that Figii was staking her reputation on Qui-Gon's opinion of Anakin, not on Anakin himself...

unknown_shore: Thanks. (it's pronounced fi*as in semper 'fi'* -gee) and the bit on yoda's comment about infallibility...I always felt Yoda didn't really see himself as part of the Council, just the buffer that kept them all together.

Thanks guys!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.