main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Not What It Seems"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by val solo, Dec 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Hi, all! Here's some action starring our favorite Jedi. ;) Now remember, writing action is not actually my strongest forte, so add in your own images if you need to. Enjoy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan had sensed the man's move in time to back out of the way causing his opponent to lurch forward clumsily. The Jedi took advantage of the opportunity to push Arella off to the side before the man regained his balance.

"Go!" he shouted to her, quickly searching the surroundings for any help at all.... and he found it. Parked on the opposite side of the street was a small two-passenger speeder. "Get to that speeder, NOW!!!"

Just then, the man swung forcefully at Obi-Wan catching him squarely in the jaw and knocking him backward into a wall. Arella heard the thud as he hit and cringed before registering what he had said. Spinning around, she spotted the speeder and made a run for it. The fight was continuing behind her as she jumped inside the waiting vehicle. Sitting down in the driver's seat, she suddenly realized two important facts... One--- there were no keys, and two--- even if there were, she didn't know how to drive. Desperately, she looked back over to the two men fighting over her, and chuckled that it wasn't for the reasons she would have preferred.

The two men were still giving and receiving blows from one another. Obi-Wan looked almost like a little boy compared to the hulking bulk of the other man. Arella was beginning to think the Jedi wasn't going to make it out on top. //Should I just run?// she questioned herself, but then her question was answered.

In a blur, Arella saw Obi-Wan reach to his side, and then a bright blue light flashed to life. The other man stopped in mid-swing and stumbled back.

"You're a Jedi?!" she heard him say in shock. Obi-Wan replied calmly , but Arella couldn't hear exactly what he was saying since he wasn't yelling at the top of his lungs.

The two circled each other slowly, each one wondering what to do next. Arella held her breath as Obi-Wan started walking backward toward her speeder very slowly. The man didn't give up and was still following at a safe distance, which surprised Arella until she noticed four other figures emerging from the dark to move with him, all of which had blasters aimed at the Jedi.

Before she could even scream out to alert Obi-Wan, the men began firing a barrage of blaster bolts right at him. Arella slammed her eyes shut, not wanting to see the slaughter, but opened them again when she heard an unusual sound. There was the Jedi still moving back to her, and his laser sword was swinging wildly, blocking every shot coming at him. The sizzle of the bolts ricocheting off of the blade was what she was hearing.

"Under the nav-box! Hurry!!" he called back over his shoulder. Immediately, she looked down by her feet and found what he had been talking about.... an emergency restart button.

//How did I know what he was talking about?// she wondered as the speeder hummed to life and lifted up onto its repulsors. Just then, Obi-Wan turned from the fight and leapt into the speeder, pushing her aside. The blasts kept coming, a few narrowly missing Arella's head before she ducked.

"Whoa!! This is NOT good," she exclaimed looking behind them before being pinned back to the seat from the force of the forward thrust. Their speeder took off, but another one was right behind them.

"They're still coming!" she yelled as Obi-Wan tried to weave in and out of the dark streets. Try as he might, he couldn't seem to coax enough speed out of their borrowed vehicle to suit his taste. Letting the Force guide him, he was managing to elude their pursuer, but he didn't know how long he could keep it up. They were gaining ground fast.

"Can't you go any faster?!" Arella shouted glancing back over her shoulder to check on the situation. "They're getting closer!!!!"

"I'm trying!!!" Obi-Wan shouted back as his hands moved all over the console board in a vain attempt to work a miracle.

The

2. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    That was great, Val!! I think you did a wonderful job with the action.
    I laughed the whole way through at the interaction between Obi and Arella, esp. when he told her to "SHUT UP!" and she did.

What a cliffhanger, though! Pleeeaaase post more soon so we can stop hanging! :)

3. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Hmm...Arella's really breaking down all of Obi-Wan's Jedi calm, isn't she? ;) I think she should show just a little more gratitude -- he only just saved her life! but...her being stubborn and all makes the dialogue much more entertaining. :D

4. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Arella is an annoying spoiled brat.... She reminds me of my sister.

Great post.

5. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Just shamelessly upping! I'm working on the next part right now. I'm not if it'll be up tonight or tomorrow though.

And has anyone checked out the new pics of Ewan in Details magazine? I like him MUCH better with hair on his head!

6. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Hope you're having a nice weekend. The weather is great where I am!

Well, here's some more. It's time our twosome start feeling a little heat. ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I failed," he stated flatly.

This had been the golden opportunity for him and his cause. It would have proven how responsible and dependable he could be.... how right the others were to place such a task on his shoulders. Their lives could have been well on the way to vast improvement..... IF he hadn't failed.

"Now, now, Jex. How were you to know that the Jedi would show up to ruin things? We'll just have to try again." The older man patted Jex on the back and walked away in disappointment.

//No one is more disappointed than I am,// Jex thought with a sneer. Too many others were depending on him. He wouldn't let them down again. He would find the girl and her Jedi, and this time failure would not be an option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A sharp pain shot through Obi-Wan's head and ruthlessly yanked him from his sleep. Groaning and disoriented, he slowly opened his eyes and sat up.

"What?-- Where am I?" he mumbled under his breath. He couldn't see much through the inky, black night, but did manage to make out trees all around and the wrecked speeder some feet away from him. It all came rushing back to him--- the fight, the chase, the crash,........... the GIRL who started it all.

"Oh,no!" he muttered searching frantically for Arella. He finally found her lying unconscious on the opposite side of the small clearing. Kneeling by her side, he did a quick scan and found several bumps and bruises on her face and, unfortunately, a wet spot on her left shoulder that told him she was bleeding.

//Blasted girl!// he thought, recalling her unpredictable behavior that had gotten them into this mess to begin with. Fighting down his anger, he laid a hand on her forehead and sent a healing flow through her body. Her eyes began to flutter after just a few seconds as she gradually regained consciousness.

"Wha--what happened? Where are we?" she muttered groggily.

"We crashed in the middle of....." he drifted off, "well, I'm not exactly sure where we are, to be quite honest."

Obi-Wan helped her sit up so that she wouldn't have to put much pressure on her left arm, but still she groaned in pain. "Youch!" she exclaimed gently clutching her injured arm. "That really hurts."

"Here-- let me take a look at your shoulder," Obi ordered, moving to unhook the small med kit on his belt. Inside was an antiseptic wipe and a small bandage that most likely wouldn't be large enough. //It'll have to do,// he decided. "Pull your shirt off."

Arella snapped her gaze at him with a strange look on her face. It took him a few seconds to realize the misunderstanding, and he blushed when it finally dawned on him.

"I meant, just pull it over your shoulder so I can get to the wound."

Arella winced as she eased the top over her wounded shoulder. Obi-Wan was impressed that she wasn't whimpering like a child as he had expected. The gash looked pretty deep, and many a Jedi would have yowled in pain once the antiseptic lit it on fire.

"I know it hurts. I'm sorry," he offered kindly with a small smile. Arella smiled back through clenched teeth.

"I'm.... I'm okay." She really wanted to scream at the top of her lungs but wasn't about to give him the satisfaction no matter how sweet he was being. Calling her a child would not be something he would ever have the chance to repeat. "I can't believe we're still alive," she added.

"Yeah, well, I managed to set it down without hitting any more trees," he said with a quick glance up at her. She blushed. She knew she was guilty, and she had to admit that he was pretty darn good at protecting her. They had been through a lot in the past few hours and he had proven himself very capable.

"Who were they?-- those men? Do you know why they wanted me?" she asked innocently, trying to change the subject. Obi-Wan too

7. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    That was a totally awesome post. I loved it.

8. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Well, now things are *really* getting interesting. (Not that they weren't before, but you know what I mean. ;) )
    I like how Arella is having feelings for Obi while he's still primarily seeing her as a spoiled brat.
    Can't wait for more!! :D

9. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
  10. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Heheh....this is funny. Obi-Wan is sooo clueless. "Her eyes were very...brown." Yeah, uh-huh, right! ;)

11. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Good evening, all you fellow SW fanfic addicts. :) Hope things are well in your neck of the galaxy. Here's another piece of this crazy story that just keeps getting longer as I go. I can't do short stories, even if I start out that way. Anyhow, enjoy! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The trek through the forests of Shreeana was harsh and discouraging to Arella. Although she was in decent physical condition, she wasn't used to braving the outside elements for such an extended period of time---- and in uncomfortable, designer boots, no less.

Obi-Wan was out in front, clearing the way of any dense underbrush or other obstacles with a quick, skillful swathe of his light saber. They had been so busy working their way through the forest that neither had worried about making much conversation. Several times he had helped Arella over uneven ground, and she had lost count of how many times he had asked if she was all right to go on. He really was quite sweet, Arella admitted to herself as he swung her up in his arms and gently hefted her over a fallen tree trunk. //.... and very strong,// her mind added silently as she offered a quiet thank you.

However, the thoughts she kept having about him were actually very disturbing to her. Only the day before she had been resigned to seeing him as a dull, uninteresting, fairly plain nuisance that was standing in the way between her and a life of carefree fun. Now, after seeing him take control of their desperate situation and save her from a very possible death, something inside her was changing.

The problem was, she didn't know if she liked the change.

//I don't really like him,// she tried to tell herself. //... do I?//

Shaking the thought of the young Jedi out of her mind, she could no longer deny the throbbing of her shoulder and the returning ache in her ankle. Even though she didn't want to appear weak in front of him, she felt she might collapse if she didn't rest for a while.

"Can we rest for a while?" she asked plopping down on a nearby tree stump. "I mean, I'm not a machine, you know!" she added, trying to sound irritated. If she could make herself mad at him or cause him to get mad at her, it would be much easier to put him out of her mind.

He stopped and clipped his saber to his belt. "Sure. No problem. I'm getting hungry anyway. How about you?" He crouched down just a small distance from her and began pulling some of their meager food supplies out of a bag.

"Of course I'm hungry!" she snapped, noting the shocked look on his face. "I haven't eaten anything since the transport yesterday." //Do I really sound as annoying as I think I do?// she thought. Part of her didn't feel right being rude to him on purpose, but if she didn't do it she might really make a fool of her soon-to-be lovesick self.

"Yes, ma'am!" he said, offering a mock militaristic salute to her before handing over a nutrient bar. She jerked it out of his hand with a disgusted look on her face and immediately began unwrapping it. He snorted and shook his head. Just when he thought she might be okay, she started acting unbearable again. He'd never understand the female species. "You're welcome," he finally said, hoping she'd get the message.

She swallowed the bite in her mouth and glared back at him. "Oh, yeah.... thanks."

He stood back up and walked away from her with an irritated look on his face. It looked as if her plan was working..... much to her dismay.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After they had traveled as far as Arella could go on her ankle, they found a small clearing and set up camp for the night.

"Are you cold?" he asked her from across their small fire.

"Why, whatever gave you that idea?" she replied sarcastically through chattering teeth. Since the sun had begun to set, the temperature had dropped by twenty degrees at least, she estimated, and her thin clothing wasn't doing much to keep out the cold.

Obi-Wan heaved a big sigh and rolled his eyes. "Don't

12. stardurst

stardurst Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2001
    Hey, i just discovered this!!!
    it's soo good...keep up the good work...
    sigh...
    i love obiwan, noble brave obiwan...
    sigh..
    haha

13. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks for reading, stardurst!

Just upping since I posted so late. :D

14. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh, they were so close!
    I love how Arella is trying to hide her feelings for Obi by acting rude and sarcastic.
    Post more soon!! :)

15. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Anyone remember this?

I'm still working on it, I just haven't had the long, stretch of uninterrupted typing time that I need to get the next post up. This weekend is my goal for getting a new post up, but maybe before.

16. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Yippee!!! Looking forward to that post, Val!!! :D :) :D

17. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Hi, all! Just checking in with another slightly angsty piece for you. Writing these two characters has been quite enjoyable so far. I hope you're enjoying reading about them.

Have a great weekend and enjoy!!! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

//What was that?!//

Arella sat straight up and pulled the Jedi cloak tightly around her. She had been sleeping soundly, dreaming about what it would have felt like to be kissed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, when a strange noise jolted her out of her slumber. Looking around the small clearing, she couldn't see much of anything amidst the deep black of night.

//The fire's gone out.// she realized.

The sound returned, so she sat dead still, her heart pounding uncontrollably in terror. It was almost like a low rumble that lasted for just a few seconds at a time, would stop, and then return again. Her eyes darted nervously from side to side as her imagination raced wildly to sift through all of the possible sources for such a sound.

//There it is again!// she screamed silently, almost ready to jump up and run from the unknown horror. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a movement. Snapping her head toward it and squinting her eyes through the dark, realization hit her like a ton of bricks.

It was the Jedi..... and he was snoring.

Arella let out a huge sigh of relief and put her hand over her heart to calm her frazzled nerves. //How dare he frighten me like that!!!// she thought angrily. Anger was such a common reaction for her. It was almost second nature to instantly respond to people that way. //Not only did he wake me up and scare me to death, he's also let the fire go out!// Despite her confusing feelings for him, this could not go unpunished.

With a huff, she stood up and stomped over to his still sleeping, still snoring form, hoping with each step that it would wake him up. However, once she was close enough to make out his features in the moonlight, she stopped and her heart softened again. Obi-Wan was curled up into a ball, his arms wrapped tightly around himself desperately trying to keep warm. Arella grinned when she recalled his insistence that she use his cloak since he would have no trouble staying warm overnight.

Again, those crazy feelings returned from the place deep within her that had somehow changed towards this boy.... man.... whatever he was exactly. A few days ago, had she been in the same situation, she would have let him suffer the cold and selfishly wrapped herself in the cloak while he watched shivering. She never would have cared or dared to do what she was going to do right now.

Kneeling down beside him, she noticed how boyish and peaceful he looked when he wasn't frowning and trying to be such an 'adult.' Her heart did a little flip before she gently tapped his shoulder.

"Jedi Kenobi?...... Jedi Kenobi, are you awake?"
    After a couple more nudges, Obi-Wan's eyes slowly opened and focused on Arella. Immediately, he sat straight up, his hand instinctively going to his light saber. "What is it?" he asked, jumping up and studying the small clearing. "Are you okay?"

Arella fought back a grin at seeing his hair all mussed from sleeping. Clearing her throat, she replied. "I'm fine....... it's just that...." Here is where her confidence wavered.

"Yes?" he asked.

Swallowing hard, she continued. "It's just that I'm really..... cold." There.... she had said it. No turning back now.

Obi looked to the fire only to realize there wasn't one. "Oh... I've let the fire go out. I'm so sorry, Arella. I'll gather some more wood and start another one immediately." He turned to go, but Arella grabbed the edge of his tunic and tugged it, urging him to sit back down.

"No, Jedi Kenobi. That's not necessary. It's probably only a couple of hours before dawn anyway." He slowly sat back down with a questioning look on his face. Arella glanced shyly at the ground and then back up to him. "I thought maybe we could..... share the cloak." Had she really said that?

T

18. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
  19. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    anyone?....... anyone?

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Hey! love your story, I hear that authors work well with good feedback. Lemme guess? They were found by a search party that thought they ran away from the city so they could make out? Ooh! shouldn't have shared the robe. DOH! stupid move

21. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Who is it?!? Who is it?!?
    I liked that whole bit, especially how suspicious Obi still is of Arella.

So, what happens next!! Post more SOON!! :)

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Read, My, Post! :D I think that's what happened, and they're gonna say that
    "It's Not What It Seems" hehe :D

Edit: UP!

23. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    UP! MORE! PLEASE!

24. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Very funny, Obi-Zahn! :D However, that's not exactly what's going to happen.
    (***wink, wink***)

Hopefully, I'll have a post up later tonight. Just keep your fingers crossed!!!!

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    PAGE 7! :eek: UP! Hey val, where's our post?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.