main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends NOTE FROM ISH 5/12--Lest Ye Be Judged--Vader War Crimes Trial

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Upping post 50.

2. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Wonderful!!!! I loved it! Leia's the defense attorney!!! Lovely twist!!! I love the references to Padme....

A. Windsor

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, AW.

4. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Ish, I haven't put this particular story up yet--and won't anytime soon, because it keeps going schizo on me... :_|

I think I'm going to have to put up a help thread in the Resource forum, because I want as many people's opinions to help me figure out if what I'm trying to do isn't crap. I'm doing a Luke/Vader AU just like yours, Ish, but in mine Vader doesn't come to trial for a looooong time. Now that I see how much sense your story makes, I see mine as being a lot harder to swallow. You can see my plot contrivance fingerprints all over it.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. I want to see your story nonetheless. Do you have any of it written? The process of bringing the trial together has started, but the trial itself will take a while to materialize. If you're interested in a really interesting war crimes trial, I really suggest you read The Other Half: Burden of Choice. In that, I was writing a nice little Luke/Leia story and all of a sudden, on an impulse, got them captured by the Empire. Before I could stop myself, I brought Vader into the mess and he had been ordered by the Emperor to bring them back for trial. The trial of the heroes of the Rebellion for their heinous crimes against the Empire then began. It's a crazy story and a totally new look at the consequences of freedom-fighting. Go read it. Link in my bio!

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    NO fair. Pariah thinks her story sucks, when it's a really cool, inventive idea! I wish she would write it!

Post coming soon.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    *Wondering what Ishtar means by soon*

[face_mischief]

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Tonight is soon. Sorry for the delay, but my day has been so unbelievably horrible that I haven't been home between 8-6.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Humm....no post yet- will up so others can find this story ;)

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry, was sick last night, am still sick today, it's making for bad writing options and I have to be at my parents' tonight, so no chance there, either.

11. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    was sick last night...sorry to hear that.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm having a really stinky time of life right now. Everyone's yelling at me or threatening me or taking things away. I talked back about my dad calling me every hour of the day or night, so now have no cell phone. He's telling me that he won't pay for my schooling if I get married, despite what he's said for 23 years. I'm on medication that's supposed to help me feel better and instead I'm having people try to scream at me until it has no effect. And on top of all that, I may have to move back here to save money. So my life sucks!

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Nice post Ishie, I'd say more but it's too late ;)

14. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, DarthIshtar,

Sorry things are rough for you right now. Hope they get better soon.

Kristeh

15. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I de-lurked to tell you this is a great story. I just happened to find it and reading it is making me late for work ;)

I hope DRL eases up on you. Hang in there.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, all. I've found that sometimes, the way to cure a bad day is to make sure the characters either have a really good day or one that's less bad than yours, so you can be happy that something's going right. So, right now, I'm writing a really good post.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "I thought I'd find you here."

Leia did not turn, only smiled at the receding suns on the horizon at Luke's oft-heard observation. He always had known where to look for her, another one of those things that made it maddeningly obvious in hindsight that they were connected by something far deeper than friendship.

"I always wanted a brother, she had I always
    wanted a brother when I was growing up; someone to share in my misery and joy and help carry the weight of what our lives had in store for us. I'm so glad I have you instead."[/i]

"I've been looking for my own private haven since the moment we set foot on this rock," she explained. "I think I finally made my choice."

He vaulted over the edge, landing softly next to her in a crouch, eyes surveying the horizon. "I can see why," he agreed.

There were few scenic vistas on Suvar VI, with the volcanic areas, vast wetlands, scorching deserts, and polar ice caps, but the makeshift base they had established in the aftermath of Endor was atop a cliff near the northern continent's ocean. A small outcropping on the southeastern edge of the perimeter was where she had settled, nestled as best she could into the corners between sheets of midnight rock.

It was the perfect location to give her the focus required for the task at hand.

"I needed to escape," she continued. "It's bad enough when the people have no idea what's going on. I can't wait for the day when we have to tell them."

He sank back into a sitting position with a short laugh. "Charges again?"

"Worse."

She passed the datapad over and from the look on his face, he understood completely.

"I've got a bad feeling about this," he grumbled.

"Me, too," she countered, "but they're still adamant. The envoy to the Empire leaves in three days, the same day we announce the capture and impending trial of Darth Vader. The fact that they want me on that envoy..."

"Is insane," Luke completed. "Don't they remember how many death warrants you have racked up from the whole Yavin fiasco in the first place?"

"Not to mention the rest of the war."

He nodded and, not for the first time that day, she felt the same oppressive weariness that she'd been feeling come over him. "You'd think they're trying to kill me rather than let me defend him."

Another laugh and his arm came up to wrap protectively around her shoulders. "THere may be some truth to that," he admitted. "Probably founded by the people who said it was political suicide to do this."

His eyes scrolled down the list of names, both infamous and dreaded alike. "I know that we're going to have Imperial charges, but do they have to make the Imperials part of the Tribunal?"

She shrugged, but there was more tension than casual dismissal in the gesture. She had been asking the same question since Mon Mothma had announced the measure this morning. Even Rieekan, the stoic, logical one, had let fly words like foolhardy and useless. But the fact remained that in a vain effort to forge an alliance of sorts, Mon Mothma was letting the enemy take part in the coming madness.

At best, they could hope for chokehold diplomacy. At worst, it wouldn't be just Anakin Skywalker who lost everything, including his life.

"It's not very comforting," Leia observed, "that the soft-hearted one on that list was the one who convened the original Blood Tribunal."

Luke would undoubtedly have noticed that as well, since the Blood Tribunal, named for its merciless practices and bloodthirsty nature, had been organized for the purpose of trying such traitors as the Jedi Knights of the Old Republic. There were few Jedi who had not been outright killed while fleeing the Empire or simply murdered in the night, but there were a few who had been captured and used as examples. These cases were relegated to the Blood Tribunal and the weeks before they came to the inevitable verdict were filled with public beatings and casual brutalities.

And the mastermind behind this was the one that Mon Mothma had listed as their primary choice.

Encou

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I wrote a really good, 12-page post and then had my computer crash and all that was left was 5 pages. So the remaining 7 will be rewritten when my sickness is past. So, probably tomorrow or later. Sorry 'bout that, but I figured you'd like any update rather than no update at all.

19. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm sorry you aren't feel well. Get better soon. :)

Great Han/Leia banter.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. I think my problem is that things are just building up. Cold plus stomach problems plus migraine plus stress plus parents yelling plus having to be a good fiance plus my sister leaving in 2 weeks for Croatia plus trying to release stress on the boards. GOSH I"M GOING NUTS!

21. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    "Worse," he sighed. "I've grown to love you and I'll even endure your cooking to spend time with you."

LMAO!!!! *grins and shakes head* That IS love, Han...

He seems to think that I have a personal interest in your safety

Nooooo, not at all!!!!!

Ooooh! WOnderful H/L-ness!!! Does a body good!!!!

More soon! Please!

A. Windsor

22. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

With the volcanic areas, vast wetlands, scorching deserts, and polar ice caps??.cool place.

Blood Tribunal, named for its merciless practices and bloodthirsty nature, had been organized for the purpose of trying such traitors as the Jedi Knights of the Old Republic.???Interesting.

Leia was something like a tauntaun on ball bearings??Liked this.

It was a flowing gown of an almost maroon color, falling to her ankles in a full skirt, with a fitted bodice and high neckline. Her arms were sheathed to the wrist and a gold-thread piping lent a slightly official air, but nothing distinctly military.Her hair she left loose, curling lightly over her shoulders, but pulled severely back from her temples with a gold ribbon so that no one could miss the weary determination in her eyes, the hard set to her jaw????..Awesome description. Very princess-like.

He mumbled something like, "Yes, Your Worship" and was at her side???..Good Han-Leia relationship with this line, and the whole conversation.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I was so sick and tired of those one-climate SW worlds, like Tatooine the big dustball, Hoth the big snowball, Endor the arboretum...so I made one that's somewhat like earth. Volcanic--Hawaii. Wetlands--that's everything from Michigan in summer of '93 to the Appalachians in '00. Scorching desert--fond memories of Mojave Desert. Polar ice caps--fond memories of Santa Claus!

24. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, DarthIshtar,

I hope you feel better soon, and that's terribly frustrating to have computer problems like that. Well, maybe things will get better soon.

I enjoyed the post. It was a nice Han/Leia scene, and I like all the vivid descriptions. This Imperial on the council sounds pretty scary. I'm worried for Anakin.

Looking forward to more.

Kristeh

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "Fellow peoples of the Galaxy..."

It was a remarkable effect. Every time that phrase was uttered, Leia's heart went from its normal palpitations to violent thrashings that left her heart threatening to beat its way out of her chest. Her palms grew clammy and her eyes stung as her lungs strained to fill.

It had been a common effect since her days as a young woman with a forced measure of courage in her heart and blinders to consequences about her eyes. She had been impetuous, but she had grown to fear those words from Palpatine's lips. Having Mon Mothma wield that same power in the last weeks was a miraculous thing, but it still frightened her.

To the rest of the gathered Alliance, it was a rallying cry. This much was made evident by the tumultuous applause and Leia had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes at Rieekan.

Let them have their enthusiasm, Luke had advised, but take care that they aren't as enthusiastic to have your head on a silver charger.

Brother dearest, I'm not sure half the starfleet could prevent that if they got it in their heads.

A hand on her arm broke from her reverie. Rieekan, with Han encouraging her forward from behind.

I've been so preoccupied with the preparation that I forgot to watch for my cue.

No matter.

She moved to the podium with all the grace that years in the Organa household had afforded her, hands clasped out of sight behind the lectern as she drew herself up in what was left of her regal glory.

"Always find a target in the audience, someone you can trust to not distract you from your purpose there. Don't you dare keep your eyes off of him."

Luke was the natural easy target and he had never failed her yet.

"We are all aware of the great triumph that came with the Emperor's death," she began, surprised at the lack of waver and the presence of mind in her voice. "We have even more present in our minds the injustices that brought us to that triumph. We can remember why each of us fought the war, no matter which side we were on. We remember too well the losses that shaped our characters and kept us fighting so that some day the losses would end.

"But we also must remember that, while many of these are the common costs of war, there are many things that cannot be so casually dismissed. I know that we are of one heart on that matter because of the dozens of requests I have received in the eighteen days since the founding of the New Republic for war crimes trials."

Finally, the words that would shape the rest of this madness had been uttered. She had to pause for a long breath before her mind would allow her to continue coherently.

"Most surprising was one from a perpetrator against himself. He surrendered of his own free will and choice and has come forward to be judged for his crimes. It is for this reason that we come before you today, not as allies or enemies, humans or aliens, but as commonplace people needing justice.

"This man was born Anakin Skywalker. He served the Jedi Order until the rise of the Emperor, but records since then have made no mention of his name. Yet he is the most feared name in recent history, for Anakin Skywalker spent the last twenty-five years as Darth Vader."

The expected reaction did not disappoint. While some chose to simply gasp or murmur amongst themselves, others stood to hurl insults or demand answers. Luke was soon hidden from view, but her gaze was already wandering, taking in the full view.

"Order," Rieekan barked, coming to her side. "This is a briefing, not a free-for-all debate."

Even with his orders and the presence of guards, it took a full three minutes for the room to quiet enough for her to assure them that their questions would be answered in due course. She was wishing that she had either the Force or the pain medication strong enough to obliterate the Star Destroyer-sized migraine that was coming on.

"If you will allow me continue," she said in the same, even tone, "we have been compiling preliminary charges. Between the experienc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.