main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Note to Adam - any plans for this forum? (plus suggestions)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Do ILM projects go in here, also? If so, is there discussion at awards time, etc.?

2. Clonuscant

Clonuscant Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    I think ILM would also have to be working with Lucasfilm on a non-SW venture for one of its projects to be discussed here. Otherwise, YJCC, Amph, and SFF:FTV are the appropriate places.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nah, as ILM is a division of the Lucas Empire, it's absolutely fair game in here. As is Skywalker Sound, THX etc. Malducin is our resident ILM expert, and he's always answering fan's queries and posting ILM items of interest, including SFX awards etc.

Here's some historical reading on defining the scope of the forum;

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9388574&replies=15

Really, the more topics the better!

4. Clonuscant

Feb 6, 2005
    Oh, discussion of ILM itself! I misinterpreted it as discussion of its projects, whether affiliated with LF or not. :p

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    That was my question, too. Is ILM a part of Lucasfilm? If so, I would think what they do (in regards to them and their project, not the movie/game itself) would be part of this forum.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    From that thread I linked to in my previous post;

Main focus of this forum;

[b]LucasFilm[/b]

[b]Movies directed or (co-)written by George Lucas and/or released by LucasFilm.[/b]

Indiana Jones series, THX-1138, American Graffiti, Willow. These movies can have as many different threads as necessary to discuss various aspects of the movie, much like the AOTC forum can have as many different topics on Attack of the Clones as people can think up.

Movies that are produced by Lucas / published by LucasFilm. These can have as many threads as deemed necessary, though each movie will have an "official" type general discussion thread (but not necessarily explicitely titled with the word "official"). Discussion encouraged to be posted within the "official" thread, but allowed in own thread if subject warrants it.

Includes Radioland Murders, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Land Before Time, Labyrinth, Howard the Duck, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Captain Eo, Twice upon a Time, Body Heat.

[b]ILM effects[/b]

Discussion of Industrial Light & Magic's contribution to films. There are about 200 movies that have had contributions by ILM, and a dozen or so in the works.

There's a great listing here; www.ilmfan.com

There is [u]not[/u] room in this forum for a general discussion thread on each of those projects - the YJCC is better suited to that, but [i]discussion centered on ILM's contribution to those films is fine[/i].

I'm not going to close threads down if threads stray a little from the ILM contribution and into plot or whatever, but the main theme of the thread should be within the boundaries of the forum.

[b]THX, Pixar[/b]

While both THX and Pixar have been sold and are no longer part of the Lucas Empire discussion of THX sound is fine. Pixar projects from the Lucas era are on topic too.

[b]LucasArts, LucasFilm Games[/b]

Discussion of LucasArts videogames is probably best off in the Games Forum. General discussion of the company is fine here, and probably some latitude regarding videogame plots etc (is "Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis' canon? shock tongue ) is OK.

[b]Other Lucas Affiliated projects[/b]

Edit: LucasLearning, LucasFilmLicencing, Skywalker Sound - discussion of their activities are on-topic, though "Star Wars" specific threads on any of those affiliates would be better suited in an appropriate SW board.

What else is there? Let us know. Likely it's on topic here... happy

OK, that's my take on this place. How can we refine it to make this forum a more enjoyable / interesting place for all?

[hr]

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks, that answered my question. I think I missed the link up there. :p

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    'Tis whay I pasted it here. :p

It should always open for change & tweaks though, of course. Could probably drop the Pixar bit. Maybe add the newish Lucas Animation studios (especially if they start some non-SW projects).

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We decided in MS to go ahead and change the title of the forum to reflect Indiana Jones 4 (title above is Adam's suggestion), like we discussed earlier in Comms. So, you should see the title of the forum different in the header and the Main Table.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice move.

11. Clonuscant

Feb 6, 2005
    Awesome! :)

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
  13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    That looks good! I would definitely do some banner rotation to get things stirred up a little. gabe is good at them, he could give them a little inspiration and we can let them have at it. We can announce a banner contest to open up the Indy 4 season of hype, maybe. As well as other LFP banners like THX, Howard the Duck, etc.

Who doesn't want a Howard the Duck banner?

Also, maybe some "guess the title" type polls and contests, as well as other stuff.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Nice to see it renamed and that theres still a focus on non Indy projects. :)

Out of interest will this be an spoiler forum for Indy IV?

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    That's a mighty fine question.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thank you. I thought somebody had better ask. ;)

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I would think (without consulting Adam yet, or knowing what the new mod might think) that it could be. I don't see there being two, though. Maybe SFF could be used for Non-Spoiler discussion, while spoiler is kept here. Or maybe make this one HTR (highlight to read), but if its HTR, all banner/stylesheet makers need to keep that in mind when creating style sheets.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    HTR is (IMO) such a pain. It also makes threads look messy. If the whole forum can't be made a 4SA (see what I did there? :p) then there should be specific threads - well signposted - where spoilers can be freely posted.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    HTR is a bit of a pain, I agree Everton. From experiance, I think a lot of new posters also struggle to work out how to use HTR facilities. So, I agree with Everton, it should either be a Spoilers Allowed forum or spoiler notices should just be flagged in thread titles.

Ultimately though, its down to the forum mods and which direction Phil wants to go.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Lucasfilm may way use Hyperspace to try and control spoilers for Indy, the same way they did with ROTS.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    To be honest, I'd happily renew my subscription to Hyperspace if they place a webcam on set. =P~

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Phil? What's he got to do with the forums?

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    When I was modding here and IJ4 looked imminent, here's what I mooted for a spoiler policy;

The above can work, one thing is that the forum mods should be the ones to add the [spoilers] or [non-spoilers] tags to the threads - assume any new IJ4 thread has spoilers until such time as a mod marks it otherwise. Of course this means that any LFP mod has to be spoiled.

And can the current just-the-facts be locked and a new one started? Pleeeease.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I was just guessing that maybe he would need to be considered if we was going to have an Indy IV Spoiler forum.

On the other hand, maybe he wouldn't? ;)

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nah, he has little-to-no interest in the runnings of this place.

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I for one am new here and am looking for Indy tidbits, but definatly not spoilers.

Now that there's a new mod, there should be some sort of policy, which can be mutated as popularity and traffic increases.

At this point, any news is conjecture, but that could rapidly change.

I follow comics and their threads, and the black highlight policy works well and we self-police. Maybe that's because we are all in the same sort of media-clique, I dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.