main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Nothing In Between - Mara/Luke

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Nothing In Between
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Mara, Luke
    Summary: This is impossible to summarize. I?ll just say I was inspired when I listened to this song while taking a run.
    Notes: This song if by Meredith Brooks, though I cannot give the title here! :p

Nothing In Between

I hate the world today
    You're so good to me
    I know but I can't change
    Tried to tell you
    But you look at me like maybe
    I'm an angel underneath
    Innocent and sweet
    Yesterday I cried
    Must have been relieved to see
    The softer side
    I can understand how you'd be so confused
    I don't envy you
    I'm a little bit of everything
    All rolled into one

I'm a *****, I'm a lover
    I'm a child, I'm a mother
    I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
    I do not feel ashamed
    I'm your hell, I'm your dream
    I'm nothing in between
    You know you wouldn't want it any other way

He had almost died.

The thought kept repeating in my head. My Luke had almost died. He had come so close to simply not existing any more and the mere thought of that made me break out in a cold sweat. My own death? That was not a terrifying prospect. I had faced death many times, far too many for it to steal my wits or make me tremble where I stood. I had lived too long with death as an intimate companion for it to hold much fear for me.

But for my Luke?

I wasn?t letting go of him. He was mine and I meant to keep it that way. I had discovered that I was incredibly possessive of the man I loved. When death finally takes him, it will have to pry him away from me, beat me down until I can?t fight any longer. I will fight it as hard as I?ve fought anything in my life.

As he lies there, pale and drawn from his ordeal, I place my hand over his still-beating heart and remind myself that I haven?t lost him. I need that reassurance far more than I want to. I need to know that he?s still here, still mine. The medics have tried to set my mind at ease. But until he is awake and holding my hand, I will not be comforted.

I close my eyes and the bright flare of blaster fire is all I can see. I see Luke?s blade whirling like green fire and then from behind some lowlife gets off a lucky shot and Luke goes down.

For me, that moment lasted a century. Watching the almost apologetic look on his face as he fell, I wanted to scream, to use the Force to bring down the cave walls upon every other living being except Luke and myself. Instead, I had to content myself with striking down the remnants of their gang and getting Luke to safety ? and medical treatment. There was something vaguely dissatisfying about dispatching them so quickly. I wanted them to suffer as I suffered, watching my husband fight for his life.

And I am angry at Luke as well. I won?t tell him until he?s feeling better, but I?m sure my farmboy knows. He always knows the secrets of my heart. His danger sense has always left something to be desired, probably a result of the Skywalker genes he carries so proudly. If I wasn?t so worried about him, I would smack him ? hard.

He is my own.

I do not want to contemplate a life without him. Luke saw through to the person who had been buried beneath the layers and layers of darkness. He did not recreate me, but he set me free. For that gift alone, I will always love him. He is a savior of lost souls. He redeemed the most powerful Sith Lord to ever stride the galaxy, and then he performed an even greater miracle ? and loved me. That is Luke?s most precious gift, to see the good in the darkest hearts.

When he went down, all I could see was an endless stretch of years before me, lonely and empty of anything good or sweet. Luke is my light, the center that keeps me sane. Every good thing inside of me is possible because of Luke Skywalker.

My love for him is not soft. It is durasteel. It is undefeatable and everlasting. It is everything I am and ever will be. He is mine and I am his.

He opens his eyes and stares at me, surprise etched on his features. He reaches out and brushes away the tear that has escaped and traced a path

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Awww...how much did I love this? [face_love] Very, very much! So wonderfully Mara--and that song--I must admit that I was listening to it the other day and I thought of our own dear gal! Wonderful job!

And---

As he walks out of the surf, I can only stare. My heart beats faster in welcoming anticipation.

What I wouldn't give to see that, too...=P~

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ok this is just creepy (not your fic). I just found one of my favorite mix CD's that I lost, and it has this song on it. I was listening to it yesterday and after this song was over I said to my fiancee "This would make a great songfic, this song is so much like Mara." So to my surprize I get on here and there it is as a songfic! If it was a new song that would be one thing but...again I say creepy:p
    I wouldn't have ever written it because I'm to chicken to post anything so I'm glad you did!

So anyway on to the review...

I loved it!

?That bad, huh?? he asks in a wry, but weak voice.

I think that was my favorite part...it was so sweet and so, well...Luke!

But I also loved the end with the wet Luke! [face_blush]

4. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I love that song! It's one of the few that I HAVEN'T butchured into songfics in my head, but it fits them perfectly! [face_love]

5. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Awww... that's wonderful!

I've been inspired by L/M with that song too!

But this is so much nicer and loverly!

[face_love]

6. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Beautiful viggie! And it could fit in with Luke's near-death by the Vong amphistaff just as well as by a blaster. You described Mara's feelings perfectly.

7. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    =D=

Wow. So powerful.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Holy smokes woman!! This is why I love fanfic. For the emotions it induces, growing, swelling, ready to burst until it leaks right out of my eyes!!

That was beautiful, and I never feel guilty for living vicariously in the minds of these characters.

9. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    He did not recreate me, but he set me free. For that gift alone, I will always love him. He is a savior of lost souls.

He is, isn't he?

Beautiful work--I love seeing Mara's posessive streak--she's jealous even of death.

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Wonderful job as per your usual. Mara was so Mara.

Though, I've never heard of the song or the singer.

11. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Bravo, bravo, Kim. =D= I can only join everyone in singing your praises once more--you're the master of Vaderdom, but you're in the royal family of L/Mness too. [:D] :* [face_love] :D

*grovel* [face_batting]

12. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Awww so cute. Luke Mara cuteness.

:D

13. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    *melts into a puddle* [face_love]

OK...*tries to get herself together*

You captured so many wonderful moments between Luke & Mara. Each so beautifully written. I always know when I click on any of your stories, I'm going to be taken far away from my daily dulldrums and into a GFFA.

Sweet! =D=

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Ah, L/Mness. [face_love] I like this Mara phase of yours. :D

Lovely portrayal of Mara and her view of both Luke and their relationship. [face_love] Mara would definitely be that fiercely protective of Luke, and I love the "almost apologetic" expression of Luke's when he was wounded. Totally Luke, that. :D Wonderful piece all around. [:D]

15. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    That was lovely! I loved how much Mara depended on Luke, especially how she said that he was the center that keeps her sane. [face_love]

This is a very interesting contrast to your Dark!Padme fic, and I'm not sure which I like better...

I love Mara so much in this viggie!

=D=

16. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] ...

...That is all ;)

17. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    ah, nothing better to lift the spirits than a good L/M fic! great job!

18. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    :eek:

:D

Can I, like, put this whole fic on a t-shirt? [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Holy cow, Kim. That was just......perfect!!! @};-

*prints out*

*frames*

*hangs on wall*

No kidding. WOW!! [:D]

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ginchy Yeah, I got a little distracted picturing that scene! =P~ [face_whistling]

mavjade Thanks! And that is a little weird, huh? [face_worried]

Mirax_Corran
    It just screamed MARA! when I heard it. o_O

RedGold I say give it a shot! I'm always amazed at how different authors can take the same situation (or song) and make something uniquely their own!

Jedi-2B
    I figure he's a Skywalker, there's bound to be some near death experiences that come along! [face_laugh]

TheCrazyRodian Thank you! [:D]

Healer_Leona Thank you! You're always SO nice! :)

Anakins_Force Mara Jade doesn't take crap from ANYBODY! Death included! ;)

RebelMom I love the song, I play it all the time when I run. Gets me all pumped up! [face_devil]

ThePariah Aw, thank you! [face_blush]

SpiritofEowyn
    Thanks! :D

MirandaFair Wow, thanks! [face_batting]

Gabri_Jade Thanks! I love my Luke! [face_love]

Yodan Dark Padme is fun to write, but so is Mara. I guess it depends on my mood! :p

JadeLotus
    [:D] That is all! :D

aurrasingrules101 They are a dynamic couple, aren't they? [face_love]

Jedi Trace
    Coming from someone of YOUR talent, that's quite a compliment! [face_blush]

20. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    This was beautiful. [face_love] [face_love] It read exactly like Luke and Mara to me--I especially liked Luke's "That bad, huh?" It was just . . . so Luke. Great job.

*sighs* Lovely.

21. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    Oh, that was very good. I especially like the new nickname for Luke, my desert rat:D

Very well written

jacky

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was sweet--yummy all the way. [face_love] You balanced Mara's toughness and tenderness perfectly. Only Luke can bring out the soft squishy side of her. It's a joy to see. [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.