main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Noticed something for the first time last night (RotJ)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by David_Skywalker01, Oct 2, 2014.

1. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Han Solo has Leia's blood on his hands during the bunker scene. Kind of strange to see in a relatively bloodless SW universe.

[​IMG]han's bloody hands by dskywalker01, on Flickr

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh wow. That's a nice catch
    Hm.... makes little sense though. Blasters cauterize wounds immediately upon impact (the blood from Ponda Baba's arm is of course a simple continuity error due to the idea not being concrete at the time)
    Strange....

3. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I noticed that recently as well. I wonder if it was a Blu-ray specific change or if it had already existed before.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Probably one of those details that have become much clearer in HD.

Andy Wylde and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A blaster isn't a lightsaber - Ponda was injured by a lightsaber. I would guess that the cauterization process (if it applies to energy weapons in general) isn't 100% certain.

I also recall people suggesting Leia was not hit properly by the bolt itself - maybe it hit the wall right next to her arm and shrapnel from the wall cut her arm? Still, if you look at the impact, you can see burning fabric (from the squib explosive that was used for the special effect, I would guess).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I would guess that cauterisation of major blood vessels isn't instantaneous. With the adrenaline and elevated heart rate of a combat situation, the blood pressure pushes out faster than the heat completely seals the wound or causes the blood itself to coagulate. (Hence also the spray of blood from Maul -- seemed relatively pressurised!)

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In addition, Aqualish might have higher blood pressure.

Cases where there was a distinct lack of blood, tend to be humans (Anakin and Jango in AoTC, Anakin and Dooku in RoTS, Ben in ANH (assuming he disappeared immediately after his injury), Luke in TESB, and I can't recall anybody getting major lightsaber injuries in RoTJ - Vader took a hit to a cybernetic arm, and Jabba's skiff guards generally didn't look like they were taking massive damage.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Don't forget the Separatist leaders on Mustafar. Anakin cut them fairly deep (and they apparently died instantaneously).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough - maybe most aliens have comparable blood pressure - with a few notable exceptions.

Or it's just an artifact of "what one could get away with at the time" - with Lucas "getting away with" ANH but having to cut back on blood for others.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    IRL, it's probably that, but I think your deduction has merits in-universe :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. bluecadet3

bluecadet3 Jedi Knight

Apr 5, 2013
    I've always had a big problem with this particular arm-removal in ANH, as it seems to be a continuity error, but this is the best explanation I've seen for it, really fantastic.
    In the past I've seen fans try to explain it as Obi-Wan being out of practice with a lightsaber and incorrectly (or sloppily) cutting off Ponda Baba's arm, causing it to not cauterize, but that's always seemed to me to be a really bad defense.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Obi-Wan is an interesting case. I actually doubt it was the lightsaber wound that killed him -- because of how instantaneous it was. His body looks like it disappears literally the instant Vader's blade makes contact with his robe, which immediately crumples to the floor empty. (I know this has obvious OOU explanations, but I'm not really interested in those.) You'd expect at least some lag time -- it's almost the same strike Obi-Wan did on Maul, who obviously doesn't die immediately. So I think he actually voluntarily surrendered himself to the Force at that instant, which would explain the total lack of any blood. The blade struck no body.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  13. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    In response to the OP's comment, I too was surprised by a GIF someone made of the wampa knocking Luke's lights out in ESB - I'd never caught the spray of blood onto the snow before. I was like, "Oh...whoa. Ouch." :eek:

This screenshot doesn't capture it quite as well, but I can't find the original GIF:

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Nice find, never noticed that before either, even on the Blu-Ray.

15. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Plot twist...

I was watching the unaltered version of Jedi.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.