main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Novel contradiction with TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpionJedi, Dec 13, 2017.

1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    So Poe and Rey meet for the first time in the TFA novel and they meet for the first time on film in TLJ?

Can someone clear this up for me with regards to canonicity of the novel's events? Obviously the film takes precedence.

2. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I haven't read TFA novel, but they appear on screen together just a few feet away from each other at the end of TFA, so clearly they met there or saw each other. Maybe they didn't exchange any words.

I don't know how this is approached in TLJ b/c I haven't seen it yet.

3. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    The only canon you need to worry about now is what's in the next installment, because apparently what's gone before counts for **** now.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The book was written based on the shooting script of TFA. JJ made a number of changes after the event which effectively changed what was canon.

They meet and introduce themselves to each other in the film. I think Rian simply wanted to address the business of them not having met in TFA.

Yora likes this.
  5. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    CairnsTony

Which is going to be a problem for me. How can anyone think that they didn't meet at the end of TFA? Rey was a savior to the Resistance, and when she went to D'Qar and stood feet away from Poe, you have to believe there were a lot of meetings and words exchanged between people before Rey was sent off (presumably the following day) to find Luke.

I'm starting to think RJ is just plain dumb.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  6. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    [quote="MrElculver2424, post: 54719964, member:]

I'm starting to think RJ is just plain dumb.[/quote]

7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yep, this is a perfectly valid point, but then I do tend to agree with a lot of people and say this film is a big middle finger to the rest of SW. Some it works brilliantly, but a lot of it just seems off. This being just one of many examples.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. TheAnonJedi

TheAnonJedi Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 12, 2017
    [​IMG]

SunnyNelson likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey took care of BB-8. And Rey was Finn's friend. The one he had to go save on Starkiller Base. Why wouldn't they meet in TFA?

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Look at the equivalent complaint if they hadn’t been introduced; “so Poe and Rey just casually know each other? Oh I guess they were introduced off screen. Yet again we’re expected to read a book to make sense of these messy films”

Narratively, it makes more sense to introduce them to each other. Of all the complaints I’ve seen, this is the most minor

Tanjint likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Movie takes precedent over the novel. So if Rey and Poe officially meet in the movie, then that is how it happened.

At least that is how I understood it, but I could very well be wrong.

oncafar likes this.
  12. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    In the book it's a Meet Cute moment where they sort of are kind of into each other in a shy yet awkward way. Not sure how TLJ will play it. Also apparently there is an intense stare between the two of them in the end, so I'm going to guess they may be setting up for something there, maybe?

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    This has been a big issue for me since the very beginning. What is the story group doing? Isn't it their job to keep track of these things? There have been contradictions right off the bat, and when you ask Pablo about it, he either dodges the question or says something along the lines of "Nothing conclusive has been said on the matter". I'm curious, what does their typical workday look like?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but it's hard being a fan when it seems like you are the only one who cares about this stuff.

Отправлено с моего SM-A310F через Tapatalk

Tanjint and Darth Smurf like this.
  14. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Indeed, the lack of consistency is quite surprising at times. You'd think they would have people that were as aware of details as the fans are, yet they keep overlooking fairly obvious issues.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They had the perfect opportunity in the film as well. 20 seconds extra tops when Rey is saying we will meet again, my friend. Then again, JJ didn’t have Leia and Chewie interacting after Sk base. The novel had it but the film doesn’t? How stupid.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mentally took it that they were being ironic, for retcon sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015