Novel, Poem, and Song titles applied to the episodes.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Seldon, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    Take a novel title and apply it as the name of a Star Wars episode

You take a novel, play, song, poem, title and use it as a Star Wars episode title. Find names of things which can be applied to one of the episodes. Just please don't use EU titles, that would be too easy.

This is a forum for serious discussion so be sure to add explanations and not just list the titles.

For example:
    Star Wars Episode I:
    Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
    Much of Episode I is dominated by Padme a "handmaiden" and her story. The invasion, onslaught, politics, desert gamble and final battle. Much of the story revolves around her. In that way this title fits in with the story of Episode I.

Star Wars Episode II:
    The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
    This could describe the life of Kamnio and how artifical it all seems and is. Kamino is a human farm where the crops being harvested are individual lives. Yet they take the humanity out of these people. The Caves of Steel seems like a fitting title for that location. Coruscant could also be considered caverns of steel. Caves where greedy politicians and corrupt organizations are able to hide in the shadows.

Star Wars Episode III:
    Triumph and Tragedy by Winston Churchill
    The name explains itself. There may have been triumph in the Clone wars but it is soon followed by tragedy.
    For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
    This would also work for obvious reasons. Much of the story is death and destruction.
    The Crucible by Arthur Miller
    Obviously this is the episode where things fall apart. Anakin has to carry his burden. Seems fitting.

Star Wars Episode IV:
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
    This title works especially when considering the suns of Tatooine and their symbolic role in the saga. Revenge of the Sith is very much a sunset and darkness is now ruling the galaxy. Luke Skywalker and the hope he presents is much like a rising sun which is now on the coming into the sky. New hope begins to brighten a dark galaxy.

Star Wars Episode V
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    Vader is revealed to have once been human and what a dark heart he must have.

Star Wars Episode VI
    A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
    Luke tosses the lightsaber away and decides not to fight. Thus he remains a Jedi by staying true to their teachings. In a double meaning, the galaxy is also settling for peace after a long Civil War.

Feel free to comment on my list, or create your own. Just provide reasons and explanations for how it fits in with the movies theme.

-Seldon
  2. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    This is actually harder then it looks Seldon!

I would say that the entire PT could be called " A Catcher in The Rye ".
  3. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    That works, the prequels and Salinger's novel both deal with a loss of innocence and loss of trust.

It wasn't too hard for me. I just began to think of book titles and then what would and wouldn't fit in with Star Wars episodes.

Some new ones:
    The Awakening by Kate Chopin can work in Return of the Jedi. Anakin Skywalker who had long been in slumber; surfaces again. Also Han comes out of his deep sleep as well. Sort of a double meaning. Also the Jedi awake to fight another day.

The Three Musketeers works a little bit for A New Hope. By the end of it Han, Leia and Luke form a united group that works together.

As I Lay Dying by Faulkner may work for Episode III. What I like about it is that the title is in past tense, so clearly the person didn't die at that time. So it could be like Anakin who almost died, but didn't.

Inferno could also work for Episode III. There is the physical reasons but also the mental ones. Not only is there larva and what not, there is also an inferno of ideals and people are destroyed in a galaxy that becomes violent. Hell breaks loose.

Homer's The Odyssey make work with The Empire Strikes Back. Luke has an intellectual journey into a larger word with the introduction of Yoda. In many ways his horizons are expanded on a mental journey.

-Seldon
  4. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    Comparing Faulkner to Star Wars...I never, ever thought that would be possible. ;)

As a literature scholar, I get a flood of possible connections in my head... Lemme take a few seconds to gather my thoughts.
  5. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    I particularly like "The Sun Also Rises" [face_laugh]
    I've got a couple more Asimov ones here... :p

Ep. 3-- Foundation and Empire
    Ep. 4-- I, Robot (It is mostly told from the droids point of view; and it's the first time we get Vader ('more machine than man') as a main character and villain instead of Anakin. You could even say that Luke (from his perspective, anyway) has been living a proogrammed, almost robotic existance.

And others...

Ep. 2: Master and Commander-- the far side of the world. (aka, Obi-Wan's trip to Kamino)
    Ep. 1: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum... (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have a hard time getting to Naboo and then back to Coruscant)
    Ep. 3: Les Miserables (Just about everyone is likely to have a bad day...)

And I like this one, but I'm not sure where it would go... Empire of the Sun. Just because the Empire is being greatly supported by Anakin/Vader, the native Tatooine "Son of the Suns".
  6. ArtfulDetour Jedi Youngling

Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Othello by William Shakespeare

A guy proves himself in battle and comes back home to plaudits, only to have some sidekick play upon his Achilles' heel and make him kill a lot of people he might not have if he'd given it any thought.
  7. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    Some interesting thoughts there.

I especially like the Foundation & Empire connection. In some ways Episode III can be seen as the formation of the empire and the foundation of the rebellion. Or simply as the foundation for the imperial era/original trilogy.

Going along with Asimov, if The Sun Also Rises is Episode IV, then Nightfall (by Isaac Asimov) seems to fit as a title for Revenge of the Sith.

-Seldon
  8. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    " then Nightfall (by Isaac Asimov) seems to fit as a title for Revenge of the Sith. "

I thought " Pitch Black " was going to be a film version of " Nightfall ". Anything would have better than the film they did make in the 80's based on that story. You could definetly connect alot of Asimovs' works to the SW Saga, as it was clearly inspired in certain areas by Asimovs' genius.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.