main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Novelizations + Comic Adaptations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mattkyrell, Jan 9, 2017.

1. mattkyrell

mattkyrell Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2015
    I have never read any of the novelizations and just this weekend I got most of them. I'm very interested but I have heard some mixed things about the original trilogy novelizations. Are they worth reading or are they really off from the films?

Also, I might be interested in getting the Marvel graphic novel adaptations of the films, but don't want to waste my money if they're nothing special. Anyone have thoughts on those?

Thanks!

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    The two aren't always in opposition :)

ANH is kind of where it all started, so it's very fun for its historical and nostalgia value.

While most tend to view ROTS as the Gold Standard (it is very, very good), I also really enjoyed the AOTC novelization, because for the first time, I got why Padme would even entertain the idea of romance with Anakin. I still say AOTC is the best Padme book that's been written. Which isn't saying much, but I think he got her right.

TFA isn't particular gripping or stand-out for any reason for me personally.

Rogue One is fantastic. Faithfully follows the film, while also added substantial depth to the characters, and to some decisions made.

La Calavera and SilentGuy66 like this.
  3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'd always recommend reading the novelizations. Most of them don't offer much more material than the films. The originals certainly not. There might be a few extra lines of dialogue or a few more in depth descriptions but the prequels are good reads for sure. I thought Rogue One book really added to a lot of the characters in the movie. Some of the characters were underdeveloped in the film but the book does a nice job adding extras. It really added a lot to Bodhi for me as well as Baze too. There were some things in the book that I said to myself, that should have 100% been in the film.

I'd say its always worth a read. They are usually relatively short and you can get through them pretty quick.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Rogue One has joined the top tier of novelisations for me.

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The OT comic adaptations are the only adaptations I recall reading. Basically, Marvel did the comics for the films when the films were originally released, and recently remastered them and released them in graphic novel form. The new versions look terrific, as they have a very retro art style with very modern coloring and some added effects. The comics were released before the films, so they aren't entirely accurate, but they're quite fun reads nevertheless. Honestly, if you're just interested in the development of the films, you'll find the comics very insightful. I collect SW graphic novels, so having the films in GN form is a must-have; The new Marvel adaptations are really the best out there.

6. mattkyrell

mattkyrell Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    ROTJ novelization > ROTS novelization.

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oooh, I'd forgotten they did that! I remember the previews looking really cool; I have to track those down now.

The original, Original Trilogy adaptions are all worth looking up for the nifty art (particularly Al Williamson's TESB) and the occasional deleted scene. I don't remember anything particularly special about any of the prequel trilogy adaptions.

The best comics adaptation for my money, though, are the Mangas adapting the Original Trilogy--and I'm no great fan of Manga. Well worth tracking down, but I wish they'd do a giant Manga collection at some point...

TC