main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I just picked up Batman - Year two, pretty good but not as good as Year one.

Also picked up Robocop by Frank Miller.

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm currently reading the comic series 'A New Hope: Infinities' and 'The Empire Strikes Back: Infinities'.

Also currently reading the novel of 'A New Hope'.

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...mmmm, Alan Dean Foster ghostwrite. Very nice.

I also really like his novelisation of "The Last Starfighter". Better than the movie, which is rare for a novelisation written after the movie was made.

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Back to Discworld for a moment: I met the man himself at Dymocks Garden City last year. Did anyone else here get to meet him then?

Apart from DW, I've also started reading Net Force from Tom Clancy. I'm only reading it since there's some great computing stuff in it, set in 2010. Supposedly, VR is back in a big way. Anyone else read this?

5. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I met Terry Pratchet about 5 or 6 years ago, at a book signing at Dymocks in Karrinyup.

He signed a copy of Mort for me and drew a little caricature of Death in the inside cover.

My cousins kid found it, started chewing it and flushed down the toilet. I don't speak to them any more. :(

DS

6. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Just started reading the George Lucas biography, pretty interesting so far. Anyone else read it ??

7. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Anything about GL donning womens clothings or remaking the movies, replacing the laser guns with walkie-talkies?.. Oh thats probably towards the back.. keep going! :D

*gets GL in a headlock and nuggies him* You know Im joking ol' pal.. ;)

(no, havent read it.. sounds interesting though)

8. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Hmmm I wasn't aware that there was a Bio on the market about him. How old is it? I mind see about getting it :)

9. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Nothing about cross dressing as yet, I'll keep you posted though.

Written by John Baxter, published by Harper Collins In 1999.

Does anyone know if THX-1138 is available on dvd ?

10. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Not yet but it is coming soon.

11. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I actually never really thought much of that film. I watched it a few years ago and promptly decided that it would have quickly faded in to obscurity if GL hadn't gone on to make starwars. I thought is was a kinda boring rip-off of stories like 1984 and Brave new World.

12. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I thought THX-1138 was quite boring as well.

Has anyone read any of the Doctor Who novels? If so which ones do you recommend?

13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Anyone read 'Ender's Game'?

I've been recommended it by a few friends. What's it about?

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Enders game is one of the most brilliant books I have ever read.

From what I recall there is an alien force threatening to destroy the human race or the universe or something.

The powers that be figure that the way to beat them is to get kids to train in strategy to find the ultimate leader/strategist to take on the aliens.

Ender gets sent of to war battle school or whatever it's called and it follows his progress.

Excellent book

READ IT NOW !!!!!!!!!!

15. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Sounds great. Kinda similar to Starship Troopers where they get young ones trained up and sent off to war.

Thanks Aztek ;)

16. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    For those following the New Jedi Order series, book 18 The Final Prophecy is out now (paperback), and the last one The Unifying Force is due out in November in hardcover- the pic inside the cover of #18 says something about a bonus cd-rom.. not sure what's involved there.
    For those following the greater EU timeline the last few books have been tying in with events from just after Ep1.

17. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I think the bonus CD-ROM is an E-Book. StarWars.com posted something about Free E-Books being available that tie some of the NJO novels together.

18. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I had no idea there were that many NJO books. I read Vector Prime and enjoyed it, but lost track after that.

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    the bonus disk will contain some special NJO extras, I think there's a few interviews with the authors of the series, a couple e-books possibly. TFN posted something about it a while ago, so I'll dig it up and let you know.

20. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I know a couple of the hardcovers have come out as paperbacks with the E-book included, but the last one missed the E-book, which resulted in SW.com putting "Ylesia" up for download free.

21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah I downloaded 'Ylesia' the other day.

Their is also a new Star Wars E-Book over at SW.com available for download. It's called 'Star Wars Story Collection'. It has about half a dozen small SW stories. One is written by Timothy Zahn. It's a worth a look.

22. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Has anyone read 'The Butlerian Jihad' or 'The Machine Crusade' yet? They are the prequels novels to Dune written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I try to avoid anything written by Kevin J. Anderson on principle, after his efforts in both the SW and X-Files series...and having a relative writing after the Herbert's passed away always seemed a bit Christopher Tolkien for my tastes...but I could be wrong on both counts, I suppose.

24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Finally picked up Kevin J. Anderson' new novel, Hidden Empire and from what I've read so far (First two chapters), it's looking to be a very interesting series.

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I've finally picked up the Wheel of Time (and before you get on my back for waiting this long to start reading it, when you are as busy as I am, you will understand how difficult it is to sit down and read a book for more then five minutes :)

Oh, and keep an eye out for the complete Far Side collection coming soon. It came out a few weeks ago in the US, and unless you have a good deal of cash handy, you can expect to pay around $100 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.