main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Jedi Daniel

I have not read those two books, but I have read the three prelude to Dune books and I highly recommend them, a very good read I thought.

I'm waiting for the third legends of dune book to be released before I read them, don't want to finish the second one and then have to wait a year or two or whatever for the next book.

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Ok then Jedi-Aztek, I will look into the Prelude to Dune novels. I'm going to be ordering a copy of 'The Butlerian Jihad' soon and then I can start with that and carry on through up to 'Battle of Corrin'. At the moment I have 3 sagas I'm reading *lol*. Quite challenging to keep up with it all.

3. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've only read the first of the Dune prequel books but I also thought it was very good. KJA's done well on this one.

4. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I just got the first of the discworld books so I'm going to start on that series. Currently though I'm reading Rainbow Six. It's the first Tom Clancy book I've read and I'm really enjoying his style. It makes the PC games a lot more interesting too. :)

5. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    If anyone is looking for a good psychological thriller, definately grab yourselves a Jeffery Deaver book. Brilliant author, and he even likes Star Wars (which is mentioned somewhere in all of his books that I have read so far). I highly recommend The Vanished Man. Extremely well written and damn I wanted to see a decent magic show after reading the book!

Also, Neil Gaiman books/graphic novels are a fantastic read. The Sandman series are fantastic. I love them, and will one day own them all and meet the man himself. NeverWhere is said to be a good book, although I haven't managed to find it yet. The mini-series is fantastic though. And the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett book Good Omens is also brilliant. It's a little slow in parts, but don't give up!

Poppy Z. Brite books are very good, if a little (ok, a lot) twisted. She appears to have a fascination with the French Quarter and gays.

My mum bought me a book from a new author (new to me) for christmas. Alex Kava's A Perfect Evil. It's her first book, a thriller, and it's another fantastic read...

Man, I'm glad people aren't relying on me to review books. I think there'd be a lot of "It's fantastic!" quotes popping up all over the place... [face_laugh]

6. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    You didn't do English Lit in high school did you? :D
    I didn't but the students who did never seemed to think much of the books they had to analyse.

7. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Nup. I was in the "veggie" class for English... I love all the books that I recommended. I'm just not that great at suggesting books to other people... :D

8. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Anyone remember the Dragonlance books? I just picked up a Dragonlance collection that's the first 3 books bound together. Got it for $10 at a second hand bookstore. Though I think the darksword books by the same authors were a lot better.

9. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Just ordered;

The Butlerian Jihad
    House Atreides
    House Harkonnen
    House Corrino

Should be great to see where Dune started from :)

10. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The Far Side collection is out now, and it's in fact well over $200 price wise, but well worth it.

11. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Just a few questions.

1. Does anyone know how many star wars e-books there are ?

2. Is there anywhere to download them for free, or do you have to pay for them all.

3. Is Shatterpoint available in paperback or is it still hardcover only, cause I have to buy it next week.

Thats it for now I think.

Cheers

12. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    1: 4 ebooks AFAIK.
    a: Darth Maul: Saboteur came out in the Shadow Hunter pb
    b: A Forest Apart (based on Chewie) should be in the Tatooine Ghost pb
    c: Recovery (NJO) in Balance Point pb
    d: Ylesia (NJO) was due out in Destiny's Way pb, but due to stuff up wasn't included, so SW.com put it up on the site for download there(free).

2: They're about $3.50 US from amazon.com or you can get bundles of 2 for about $6.00.. or buy the pbs if you want then in nice print format.

3: Amazon still lists Shatterpoint as being Hard Cover.
    So does Randomhouse.co.uk

13. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I have to read

A Fortunate Life

by A. B. Facey for school.

anyone read it?

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Thanks again Griz.

As for the Albert Facey book, I had to read it in high school and I must say it was a pretty interesting read.

There ws also a mini series or movie based on the book and that was pretty well made.

And because it is an Australian film, keep a look out for Bill Hunter, I'm sure he is in there somewhere.

Might have to read that again now, did not really appreciate it in high school.

15. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    The guy who wrote it was a west aussie too. Since it's a true story about WA, you'll recognise a lot of place names etc.

16. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Finally picked up my Dune novels :)

By the way, 'Vector Prime' is available as a PDF E-Book now over at Amazon.com for free.

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I remember when that book first came out I downloaded a tv ad for it, which featured Mark Hammill narrating as Luke Skywalker. First time he'd had anything to do with that role since ROTJ.

18. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Where did you get that from Soneil ?

i'd be interested in seeing that.

19. Seb

Seb Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2004
    I personally like anything by Raymond E Feist
    Very captivating fantasy novels...
    A great read for any fantasy fan

I also really enjoyed Siddharther, by Herman Hesse
    Its a pretty short book about the meaning of life...
    Very cute and extremely well written, i must say

20. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Raymond E Fiest came to my school last yr (or the yr before)

He did a talk, and it was really interesting.

He said that he doesnt write fantasy. He writes the history of places that dont exist. It was a realyl cool talk.

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I got it from TFN media section. Not sure if it's still there but I still have it on CD. Probably too big to email to you but maybe I'll do a temporary upload of it for you.

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
  23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I tried downloading from that link, but it said the link was bad or did not exsist.

If you could have a look from your end that would be great.

24. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Looks like it hadn't finished uploading. I'm uploading it again now and it should be done about an hour from now.

25. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Just picked up the 'Foundation' series from my local second hand bookstore by Isacc Asimov. Anyone read these? If so, What are they like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.