main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OKC, OK Novels based between 1 and 2

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nightsun, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightsun

Nightsun Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2001
    Has anyone besides myself read the prequel novels that take place between Episodes 1 and 2? If not they're pretty good and you get to read more stories leading up to Ep 2. I believe there are three and I know our library has at least two of them.

"Rogue Planet" This story takes place around two years after ep 1.

Approaching Storm" this story takes place 2 months before Ep. 2

"Cloak of Deception" This one takes place I believe 2.5 years before Ep.2

If you've read them or would like to know more discuss them right heeeere.

Nightsun

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Cloak of Deception is before TPM. ;) My fav of the bunch, though. :)

I'm almost through reading TAS. So far, though, I haven't liked it too much. I like the main character insight, but the rest is a bit lame. :(

And even though it's a kid's book, I suggest Jedi Quest: Path to Truth. It takes place 4 years after TPM. Nice, short read.

3. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Since I work at one of the metro libraries, I know for a fact the system has all 3 of these books, and Jedi Quest (the only intact copy of which is lying in my room somewhere now ;))-- I see them from time to time. And frankly that's a good thing, if TAS is any indication: I'd have been mad if I'd bought that thing and then only later find out it was basically glorified drivel. ;)

Haven't read Cloak of Deception (the pre-TPM universe doesn't interest me a whole lot), and The Approaching Storm disappointed me-- so much of it, including the characters (which was where it bugged me the most, especially with Obi-Wan and Anakin), was just plain flat to me. Rogue Planet was my favorite out of that trio by far, even though it tended to be a bit slow at times. But since I tend to favor more character-based plots anyway, this wasn't a real problem, and the characterization and foreshadowing that was there was (IMO) dead-on.

I just finished Jedi Quest and I absolutely loved it, though as a huge Anakin fan, that perhaps biases me a bit. ;) Anakin was very much like I pictured him (which surprised me), only possibly a bit more detailed and what insights there were into Obi-Wan's character I enjoyed too. Based on the mindsets in this book I can easily see this duo growing into the characters we've glimpsed so far in AotC.

4. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    The only one of these I have read so far is The Approching Storm. Even though the plot doesn't exactly keep you on the edge of your seat, I think the author captured the characters very well and had a lot of beautiful moments.

5. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Hm, never been a big EU fan at all. Aside from a few comics here and there and the video games.
    Anyone recommend something?
    I've just been too lazy and cheap to read any of that stuff.

6. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    I thought Rogue Planet was good, I read the prequel books to get a better feel for the characters in the upcoming movies.

Nightsun

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    XR, I suggest Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. It's a really great stand-alone story that takes place right before TPM. FYI, though, the story is really only half about Maul. Of all I've read, it is my favorite book. (And it is in paperback. ;))

8. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    XR,

Have you read the DARK EMPIRE graphic novel? Also good is Star Wars Tales #9 (Vader vs Maul).

9. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Pez you look naked without your con, I just went up to the library (war acres) to check out the novel, but they didn't have it in. It's probably for the best, but the urge to read the book is getting stronger by the day.

Nightsun

10. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Nope, haven't read either of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.