main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Novels that are clearly political strawmen (cheating if you use Orson Scott Card)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Today we'll start with a book I saw while browsing the scifi section of Barnes & Noble: The Little Green Book of Chairman Rahma (not to be confused with The Big Math Book of Chairman Ramza). This little Rush Limbaugh inspired nightmare is brought to you by one of scifi's greatest writer's....son: Brian Herbert. Here's a picture of the novel:

[​IMG]

Here's a synopsis from Amazon: A revolution has taken over the government of the United States and the environment has been saved. All pollution has been banned and reversed. It's a bright, green new world. But this new world comes with a great cost. The United States is ruled by a dictatorship and the corporations are fighting back. Joining them are an increasing number of rebels angered by the dictatorship of Chairman Rahma.

The cover flap detailed a bit more, talking about how everyone has a little green book that they must carry with them and quote verses.

Do you think environmentalists want to oppress everyone? Are CEOs and Militia types the heroes of your stories? Do you listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck? Then this might be the book for you!

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ayn Rand says hi?

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Double cheating!

dp4m likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much anything by Tom "The Waffen SS were awesome" Kratman.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Bible.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I vaguely recall Jurassic Park (the novel) feeling very conservative. Or maybe it was the Lost World?

"Step aside, trust in nature, life will find a way."

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Crichton wasn't a big fan of environmentalism if I recall.

Tom Clancy's later novels, especially Executive Orders and to some extent, Rainbow Six were very conservative heavy, sometimes to the point of absurdity. (In EO, I recall one of his stand-ins arguing for something similar to the flat tax)

But the big one is Dan Simmons, author of The Hyperion Cantos, The Terror and Drood, has a huge strawman novel with Flashback, which is ridiculously anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant in general. In one of its wilder parts, "The Global Caliphate" destroy Israel with nukes and the U.S. government has rounded up the Jews in a Six Flags park to appease the Caliphate. Also there's a mosque at Ground Zero that celebrates 9/11 every year. It's nuts.

8. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Starship Troopers

dp4m likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I view Tom Clancy somewhat differently -- he was an unabashed Conservative, but not a Neocon. He, imo, legitimately tried to believe the best in everyone, in every civilization, and only the extremists (Islamic, Russian, Chinese, Native American, etc.) were the bad guys against civilization. It certainly had a jingoistic feel to it, but not a "let's bomb everyone" mindset.

And his idea of a heroic guy was a highly-intelligent INTELLIGENCE ANALYST who kept getting in over his head, and who became independently wealthy because of his smarts, and married an incredibly successful and talented, strong woman. Basically, it's President Bartlet, Action Hero -- before that was a thing.

Anyone in the Republican Party would be horrified at Jack Ryan these days. And I think Clancy wrote him as a Democrat anyways.

Sarchet and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Anybody read the Honor Harrington novels? I'm blanking on the author's name ATM...

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Those are the ones with Wolverine on the cover? Lord of Vivec likes them.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Tom Clancy was a Reaganite, dp4m, and I think you can see this even going back to Patriot Games.

And yes, Crichton wrote that State of Emergency novel to deride environmentalism.

I guess Iain M Banks would be included here..?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... which is basically what I said? :p

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The TC books were were all about how the world's problems could be solved by judicious application of violence, because AMERICA IS THE GOOD GUY.
    1. Political leaders assassinated, Japan loves the US again!
    2. Iran at war? Assassinate their spiritual leader and all is good again!
    3. Chinese at war with Russia? Blow them up and televise it, and DEMOCRACY FOLLOWS!
    4. Oversight is for suckers! Pre-sign presidential pardons for an intelligence agency that can kill whoever it wants!
    5. The new Democrat president is weak on terrorism and is undoing all my brilliant tax reforms!

There were also references to how rubbish the NHS is because there is no incentive for doctors to perform without the free market, etc.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, so it was accurate then? :p

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll throw my favorite author under the bus here: Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. Mechanization of the workplace results in massive unemployment (Even though regular workers are required to create the templates for the machines? Huh?), absurd on their face computer records held up as infallible, the righteous cause of the protagonists is quashed by an oppressive regime and proletariat apathy, blah blah blah automation will destroy us all blah blah. I didn't even necessarily disagree with some of the points he wanted to make in the book, but it was so obnoxiously done it all left a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, and it's ultimately just a rip-off of Brave New World. Thank god he improved in later books.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's best to avoid early and late Vonnegut, IMO.

Ramza likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Additionally, middle Vonnegut.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The NHS has its bad points, but my experiences have been pretty good. I'm currently on four different types of medication, and I don't pay for any of it.

Darth Guy and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The example was absurd. The doctors left a patient under anaesthesia to go have lunch because they couldn't be fired, or something like that.

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Really? Sounds ridiculous.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Clancy was a realist. His stories often spoke about using diplomacy and last-option limited military force against very specific threats to the national interest.
    Clear and Present Danger is a clear strike against neconservative/liberal interventionism. He also was friends with USMC General Anthony Zinni, who was critical of the W Bush administrations foreign policy. Zinni was floated as a VP candidate for Obama at one point.
    But yes, he loved the country so his novels were infused with a strong element of nationalism. No one is perfect. :p

A clear example for the OP would be Brad Thor. I tried to read one of his novels years ago and barely survived.

23. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    That also does not sound like something the US health system would be immune to, considering obstetricians here have a fun little habit of forcing women into unnecessary c-sections on Friday afternoons so they can take the weekend off.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Some of these authors sound like the literary equivalent of Christian "rock".

Let's sound as crappy as we can and record canned and cliched rock hooks while singing about how Jesus rocks.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Vince Flynn was an even more blatant 'the only way to protect the national interest is to torture, assassinate and/or summarily execute suspected terrorists, and if you want civilian/political oversight of CIA or Armed Forces operations you're an idiot' example.

ShaneP likes this.