main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Novels that don't include Eps I, II, & III?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by galapogosian, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galapogosian

galapogosian Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2013
    I'd like to get into some Star Wars novels, but I'm not a fan of the prequels, Midi-chlorians, etc. I was advised to read only books written before 1998. Is this the only true litmus test?

Thanks.

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Your safest bet is to read the original Del Rey era (1977-1983) and the Bantam Era (1991-1999). If you're just getting into the expanded universe, start with Heir to the Empire.

But you can read plenty of Del Rey's second run (1999-present) as well. Just mostly avoid the prequel/rise of the empire era.

I have to say, though, that you'll be missing out on some great stuff, especially Darth Plagueis (which mentions the midichlorians a number of times, obviously).

3. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I wouldn't limit yourself like that. Some of the best books (in my opinion) have been made after the prequels and don't mention, or hardly mention midichlorians.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Give him some examples! :)

5. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm not a huge EU fan but I did read Legacy of the force - Bloodlines by Karen Traviss and to me it did still stick to the tradition is the SW Saga.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Nothing mentions midi-chlorians apart from Darth Plagueis, which actually goes quite a way to quantify how they fit without seeming mad as all sin. The Bantam run of novels, and the New Jedi Order, don't mention the prequels at all as they were after or concurrent. Even then, the Dark Nest Trilogy, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi arcs only reference them as subplots as they are set sixty years afterwards and purely as a way in which to allow the OT cast to find out what happened.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.