main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY November 16th: Save The Date!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Just mark it on your calendars. Do Jammies a favor and try to keep that date open.

I have been working on a project, and I didn't think it would go through--- but things are looking up.

I don't want to jinx it! So I won't say much yet. But we may have a cool Star Wars volunteer opportunity on Saturday, Oct. 5th. If it pans out (and that is still an IF), I will need some help-- and those that do help, will get a Del Ray short story collection paperback :)

MTFBWY
    Jammies

2. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    i'm game.

3. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Date saved :)

4. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Date Saved My Jammies. ;)

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Okay: um, delete the date. I will try to figure out how to change the title of the Thread. Meanwhile gang, set blasters for November :)

6. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Will someone please tell me what I am doing? :D lol. hang on, got an idea
    *trys to mind meld with Jammies*
    Got it, I will keep that date open. You really need to clean up in there Jammies, lots of dust.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Oh. Um. Sorry Vox (that wasn't dust.)

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    OK gang,

What i can share publicly is that I had been looking for something for us to do for Star Wars Reads day: namely, wow younglings and get them into reading. I didn't feel that a book store, or other for profit group, was a good fit for us: so i went to local schools and librarys. I thought we had two possible venues, but they didn't work. However, we may have an even better event to partner with in November that would also wow younglings into reading about the warz. Plus i have the give aways from DK, Del Ray, etc. Again, things are up in the air-- but I'd probably ask for about 4 hours of your time on that Saterday hanging out in a library with kids and star wars books :)

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Getting kids excited about reading sounds like a great way to spend a day! Thanks Jammies.

10. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Well I'll be out of town but there in spirit!

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    W00t! It is official. The LGA, the 501st, and Star Wars author David West Reynolds will be helping with a Star Wars Reads event in november at the New Albany library!

Email from Event Coordenator:

Hi Jammies,

I'm very impressed with your group, the LGA, and your willingness to give back to the community. Everyone is busy these days, and we really appreciate your time!

The kiddos would love getting books from your group! What a nice thought! And as far as your help that day, we appreciate anything. I'm not the biggest expert on Star Wars, hahahah! :) So, we will probably make a Yoda craft and have a few seek n finds, trivia sheets, etc... But they would love to have your help with all of this and maybe help taking photos with the StormTroopers group too! If you have a specific trivia sheet you would like to bring and help them with, that would be awesome!

Also, Dr. Reynolds will be speaking in the Auditorium on that Saturday. He is scheduled to speak from 2:00-2:30, and then have a book signing afterwards from around 2:30-3:00. This talk will be more geared towards children and about how he began to write books, etc....

He has specifically requested a time when he could meet with you guys and have some one-on-one time just to share stories and talk. He thought maybe 4:15-4:45, and he would not be giving another presentation. This would just be a time where you all could pull up chairs, sit around and share stories, ask questions, etc....We will serve light refreshments at this time and thought it would be a great chance to get up close and personal with Dr. Reynolds.

Final question, at some point, would you mind letting me know an estimate of how many people to expect from your group on that Saturday, November 16?

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Woot! Thanks for the leg work on this Jammies, put me down for your head count.

Let me be clear the LGA will NOT be in costume for this event, the Indiana 501st will be handling that and we don't want anyone mistaking us for them and we don't want to step on any toes. I'm really excited about us coming together as a group and think this is an awesome opportunity to use the power of our members and book club to get kids excited about reading. I would like us to have a unified look/presence at the event so if you volunteer for the event I'm gonna pony up for LGA Tshirt for you. The Tshirt is still being researched but if it's a fail I'll get a patch sewed onto a shirt for you.

Let's show them what the LGA can do!

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  13. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Absolutely root my Jammies!!! Thank you so very much! [face_dancing]Appo will be out, but count me in! Errrrr...... exactly what time do we need to be there?

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Very cool! I think we'll have more details as it gets closer. We're in planning mode right now. I'm sure there will be some discussion at the book club too.

15. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    I'll be there with bells on! well, only metaphorical bells, not real ones. that would be weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against bells, bells have every right to exist. I love bells. I simply don't look good wearing bells.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    No Zannah, no firm plans yet.

Basicly, i wanted to do something for star wars reads day--- but this event looked way cooler and acheives the same goal. The New Albany folks are super excited to have us, and plus David West Flipping Reynolds yall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now he wants to meet us?!? Wizard!

So, first: we cure cancer
    Then second, we all discuss what we want to do for the kids after Waru Talk.

Jammies
    All Hail Waru

17. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Umm... bow to the Waru? ^:)^:D

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Some of our free give-a-ways are coming in! Pretty sweet!
    As I promised: all LGA helpers will get a copy of the Del Rey short story collection!

Meantime: feel free to buy some star wars themed kids books to give out.

This will be EPIC!

19. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    All Hail Waru! This is worth taking off for...

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    So are you thinking these will be prizes for like the trivia contest or just random drawings? I've got a copy of "I am George Lucas" on the way for this plus I think I've got some other younger age appropriate stuff as well. I can pick up some used SW adult books at half price books if you're looking for something for a little older crowd.
    I'm also working on getting some LGA temporary tattoos made up for a give away.

21. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Depending on date I may be able to do this. Hmm, an Xwing demo for the kids in addition to reading?

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Date is pretty locked in for Nov 16 unless the library changes it again.

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Absolutely: the date is locked in, November 16.
    This is a huge event, and we will be a part of it. The New Albany Library is hosting, but I volunteered us to do-- well-- what we decide on doing. We will need a photographer, so if anyone wants to volunteer for that please chime in. We will be working with kids, so games, trivia, temporary tattoos, crafts, and Darth Lupine's X-wing demo all sound awesome. The main event will be Star Wars Author Dr. David West Reynolds's presentation. Remember-- we will get a private audience with him afterward =D=

Mika I am not yet sure how to give away the kids books. Trivia winners sounds good. As these are kids, maybe just ask a question-- they raise their hand, correct answer gets a book (or poster, or whatever). Not sure a Vox-level contest would work for this venue. ("Question: who came in third at the Boonta Eve pod race? Answer: um, bunny wabbit?") As for books for adults, I honestly hadn't thought of that. My initial thought is that this is to get kids into reading, and grown ups can buy their own book. BUT, it could be a good way to get us some new members. The more I think about it, it would be nice to have some adult books on hand,in addition to the short story anthologies I am giving away to LGA volunteers I may have extra-- but put out info on the inside book cover (sneaky sneaky advertising!). Besides, lets be honest, most of the "adult" star wars books are written on a sixth grade level anyway.

So, that is where we are now. We are locked in! We do have some give aways, but feel free to bring/buy your own stuff. We will need to plan out what activites we want to do (keep it simple stupid) for the time (a few hours) we have. I would also like a head count: as the library has asked me to provide that.

We may also want to think about what to give Dr. Reynolds.

-Jammies

24. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    aw, no Vox level trivia? well darn. lol. No costumes right? cool beans. this sounds fun. maybe at the book club, Jammies, you, Mika, and I can maybe come up with some kid friendly questions. Not necessarily what color was Mace Windu's lightsaber, but diffidently not along the lines of "Who was the 5th person on the left of Jabba in Jabba's palace in the first scene we see him."

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008