main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

November - A huge month for gamers of all kinds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Anakin_Skywalker021, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    ^^^ It does. According to IGN, the tentative release date for Chaos Theory is March 1, 2005.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I know this may not be the proper thread or forum, but since we're talking about HL2...

I preordered the game online through the Steam network, downloaded the HL2 levels and started playing CounterStrike: Source. The game engine looks pretty sweet, and CS:S runs very smoothly even on my old GeForce 2 card. However...will they eventually ship you the game cd's or are you meant to just download the game without any sort of physical, burned cd/dvd/whatever copy on your hands? I haven't contacted anyone at Sierra/Vivendi Universal yet, but does anyone know what the deal is?

3. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    According to IGN, the tentative release date for Chaos Theory is March 1, 2005.

Well according to my Xbox Magazine it comes out November 16th. I think the 2005 is the PC release.

4. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    I found this article in the XBox version of IGN, pretty much saying that the release dates for both the XBox and PC versions of Chaos Theory are pushed back to March of next year. It really is a bummer though. I was really looking forward to this game. :(

5. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    You won't get a physical CD with the HL2 Steam purchase, unless you chose the Gold package.

You have to download the entire game. You can burn your Steam files onto a CD/DVD though, so you won't have to repeat the process again should you want to format or something.

6. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I preordered my copy of the the HL2 collector's edition from EB yesterday, so all be praised. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the collector's edition will be on DVD-ROM, or just on a bunch of CDs like the regular version presumably is? I hope it's on DVD. I can't understand why so few companies these days are releasing PC games on DVD-ROM. I'd rather have gotten my UT2K4 on 1 disc rather than 6.

7. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I forgot a game I am looking forward to. Ghost Recon 2.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I can't understand why so few companies these days are releasing PC games on DVD-ROM.

Because there's always the off chance that a PC doesn't have a DVD drive. Thus, developers create the CD-Rom version because a modern PC will always have some sort of CD drive.

9. Silly_Sarcastic_Sock

Silly_Sarcastic_Sock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    The CE will be on a dvd.

10. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    For all you Everquest fans out there, I found this article, stating that Everquest II will be released on Nov. 8 in North America and Europe. It's about time that one got finished, seeing as how it's been in development for a long time.

11. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    Just a note to everyone that World of Warcraft has gone gold and is expected to be released on Nov. 23rd. Just one more mammoth game that is finally finished after years in development.

12. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I am looking forward to Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. It has Auric Goldfinger in it, and if that's not a reason to buy a James Bond game, I don't know what is.

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Just one more mammoth game that is finally finished after years in development.

Just like every other game Blizard have ever released. :p Not that that's a bad thing. I've always admired the dedication Blizard has in not wanting to release a game until it's TOTALLY done, and not cut corners or rush it out.

14. Shackleton

May 16, 2004
    ^^^^That is o so true. It kind of makes you wish that other developers would spend that little extra time in order to actually finish the game as opposed to throwing it onto shelves half-baked. Case in point: Enter the Matrix (PC). The game had tremendous potential, but ended up being riddled with bugs and other inconsistencies, such as a bad camera. If the developer hadn't rushed it's release in order to coincide with The Matrix Reloaded and had taken more time to perfect it, I certainly think that the game would have been much better.

15. Zenek

Zenek Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2003
    Let's see:

Blinx 2 and It's Mr. Pants are all I'm looking forward to! Nice, eh?

Yeah, yeah...Metroid Prime 2,DS, Halo2....blah blah blah..... ;)

16. Zenek

Zenek Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2003
    Let's see:

Blinx 2 and It's Mr. Pants are all I'm looking forward to! Nice, eh?

Yeah, yeah...Metroid Prime 2, DS, Halo2....blah blah blah..... ;)

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Case in point: Enter the Matrix (PC)

*Shivers* Speak not its name in my presence, Shakelton. :p Great idea for a game, yes, quite fun to play (to a point) because it's such a triumph of style over substance and it's just cool to be able to leap around and pull off cool moves and all that. And then, suddenly, after a few days of playing, you suddenly realise just how awful it is. :p But yes, you're absolutely right, if only other development houses had Blizard's integrity and dedication, there would be so many more great games out there, as opposed to so many promising but utterly half-baked games.

18. jollydwarf

jollydwarf Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    I was going to start a thread that would be very similar to this, but instead I'll just pose the question here:

While this November is definitely a "huge month" for games, is it the biggest and best month in gaming history?

I would have to resoundingly say "yes". Sure, system launches are key points in the evolution of gaming, but a.) how many people actually get a system within thirty days of launch and b.) how many games within that time frame are worth owning? And for what it's worth, the PS2 was launched on October 26th, 2000 in the States, so that doesn't even count here.

I've never seen so many games of the highest caliber being released in such close proximity, and neither has my bank account. If one were to include October of this year, I don't think that any other two-month stretch of releases can even begin to compete.

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Maybe for most people but I'll be getting KOTOR II before I get Halo 2.

I agree, I wasn't that impressed with Halo 2. It was good but not great, now GTA:SA, that is a great game. My top 3 games now are...
    -GTA:SA
    -KOTOR 2
    -MGS3:SE

One good thing is I'm going to have foot surgery soon so I'll have an excuse for playing all of the games nonstop. All I need now is my own PS2 instead of stealing it from both my bros.

20. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    That is o so true. It kind of makes you wish that other developers would spend that little extra time in order to actually finish the game as opposed to throwing it onto shelves half-baked. Case in point: Enter the Matrix (PC).

Yes. That game should have been better. It was fun and had a cool Matrix side story but the action got blah after a couple of days.

Another good example. Battlefront. They had to release it with the DVDs. They had to have their marketing gimick. And they stuck us with an OK game that should have been great.

21. jedidc

jedidc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    I've spent a ton of money on games this month. So far, I have picked up Halo2, EverQuest2, Ratchet&Clank: UYA, and Demon Stone. I probably should have saved some money, but I wanted them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.