main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark November Calendar of Events: Black Friday Lunch: Asia Buffet on Bowman (by Comp USA) 11:00

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by AGRadministrator, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AGRadministrator

AGRadministrator Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2006
    If you have an event for November please post it below and this post will reflect the event as soon as possible.

3: Saturday "meeting" at the Jacksonville Hastings Coffee shop area from 3-4 (host = Jaira)

10: Joint group shin-dig at the home of Nyborg (please note that we need to all chip in and bring the eats for this one and there is a sign up on-going in this thread) Need a head count by Wednesday Nov 7th.

Black Friday Lunch: VENUE CHANGE:Asia Buffet next to CompUSA on Bowman. It's closer to most of the shopping. We'll be there from 11:00 until ?????

Hope to see everyone at an event soon!!!!!

2. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Black Friday Brunch

I think it is the Little Rock side of the river this year, no?

3. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    I think you are right. I hadn't thought about it much this year yet.

4. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    dodge... you are correct...

but, I think we need to go with a buffet style place again this year...it's a lot less complicated and folks can
    make it on their lunch and theres more variety of choices...It just went a LOT better than when we went to the sit down place two years ago...

What's the LR side of the river got in the way of buffet???

Maybe make a few suggestions and we can vote on where we'd like to go.

And then we can vote...

5. solo71

solo71 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2007
    Forgive me for asking, since I'm a newbie, and feel free to tell me to butt out if it is none of my business, but what is the Black Friday Brunch?

6. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving...you know, the day the reatilers get out of the red for the year and into the black...

And for the past few years, we have traditionally met somewhere at a restaurant and had lunch.

So that in a nutshell is Black Friday Brunch

7. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Does it have to be buffet? I don't know of a buffet I like. My new favorite lunch place in this area that is more low-key than say, On The Border, is Moe's. They have awesome burrito's--lots of options and some great salsas. Another good place for lunch is Tropical Smoothie Cafe, where you can get smoothies, wraps, sandwiches, soups...

8. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    We're trying to fit in up to 17 or 18 people into a restaurant on one of the busiest days of the year...

The buffet option also allows our folks who have to work to come by on their lunch hour (if able) and to get something to eat while they are on lunch break...

Going to a more traditional place (like what happened with On the Border) there is just too much wait time for some folks...and you can accomodate more peoples tastes at a buffet... And I don't think Tropical Smoothie could fit all of us for a sit down of any length...

The buffet last year worked well... Their talbes are already set up for big groups...and they are pretty willing to work with us ahed of time.

Nothing wrong with the other type of places if it's a small group...but, last year there was probably 20 or so...So, thats why we're looking for a buffet...

9. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Have you guys thought about Whole Hog Cafe on Cantrell?
    That place seems like it's got plenty of space and probably far enough away from the major shopping that it wouldn't be that crowded.
    Unless there's a lot of people who are going to get Xmas presents from the Dollar Tree or Savers.
    I think they even have a separate room for parties or something.

But then, the menu is rather limited to BBQ, but it's darn good BBQ!

10. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, in terms of finding a quiet place with less business, further away might be a good thing, but the point is to get together when we are all out shopping anyway, so near the shopping makes sense to me.

I don't usually go to buffets, so I don't know any around here. Does anybody else?

The other option I mentioned--Moe's, is a Burrito Bar--like a subway or Quizno's for Burrito's. So you wouldn't have to wait on a waitress. People could come in and order their burritos as they came in. The dining room is quite large and usually not too busy. If we have 20 people we'd take up a bunch of tables, but there is no way for me to know how busy a place like that would be on Black Friday.

11. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I just assumed everyone was like me and avoided shopping on Black Friday like the plague. ;)

I've only been here for 6 months and haven't gone to a buffet place yet, either. I love burrito bars! There's one on West Cantrell called BlueCoast Burrito, and then there's my favorite from Fayetteville call Flying Burrito that's downtown.

12. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Most toy addicts can't resist the sales!!! ;)

13. Shadowscout04

Shadowscout04 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    I never shop on Black Friday, because I'm always working. Oh the joys of retail!!
    I get to be at work by 4am and watch the crowds pushing, shoving, and running to get
    the item they came in for, then several hours later the customers cussing because we
    are out of the item they wanted which probably sold out within 15 min.

14. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Everywhere is busy on Black Friday. Which is why we try and go with a buffet because that worked well last year.

I don't want to take up a businesses space for several hours (how it normally turns out) unless somebody wants to talk with them about it first?

If we can't find a spot that works on the LR side of the river...we'll open up options for the NLR side... Which might be more inconvinent for some folks...

Do you want to talk to the buritto people about potentially taking up that much space?

15. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Looks like November 10 will be a get together at the home of Nyborg13.

Just sort of a sit back and hang out sort of thing with a poosible bonfire?

(If I've got the details wrong...just correct it before I add it to the event list)

Looks like, from what locokarma said it'll be from around 1 in the afternoon until we get sick of each other...

Just post below if you are interested and what you would be willing to bring...

(If we can get some Noobies out, it would be great!! A time to hang out...drool over Nyborg's star wars collection and
    latest museum plans...you know...that sort of thing)

Look forward to meeting some of you new folks soon.

Bacon

16. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I swear I posted this earlier...but, It ate it?

Why does it always eat my posts?

Anyway, The November 10th thing...

Nyborg and Shadowscout are providing the place, but it's going to be a

BROG (Bring your own grub)

Locokarma suggested something like hot dogs? Guess that has something to do with the bon
    fire part of this thing? (though we should really bon fire at my house...I have more to burn...
    but then again...when does deer season start??? cause it's not always safe during deer season..
    and if I lit a big ol' fire...I'd probably burn the woods down...) anyway...

What we need is for folks to sign up to bring _______.

We need
    drinksDenise
    IceMcDonald's
    Hot Dog Gary
    Hot Dog Bun Gary
    Paper plate Sharon
    Disposable plate Sharon
    napkin/paper towel
    ChipsTracy
    Dessert Darren; Bartletts
    Anything else you can think of???

So, get to cracking on that there sign up list.

Thanks
    Bacon

17. AGRadministrator

Dec 3, 2006
    As for Black Friday:

Nominations for choices are now open:

While the Little Rock side of the River would be a even change for last years being
    in North Little Rock (though this leaves the Conway or other location folks...Benton??wherever
    out of the convenience thing as well...) A restaruant on either side is find.

Deal is: a buffet style place is the better bet for this day cause everywhere is crowded on Black Friday
    (even McDonalds is nightmare) And who wants to get knocked down by a hungry shopping lust crazed soccer mom...
    So, with that said...

Throw out your suggestion now: And if you are suggesting somewhere besides a buffet, please talk with the owner(s) or manager (whoever) of the restaurant and make sure they are ok with up to 17 or so people taking up a big hunk of their space for a up to a couple of hours...considering the fact that some may not eat depending on what type place it is.

We probably need to go with a buffet place because they are designed for big crowds anyway, and there is normally a broader selection...and a bit more space to socalize without taking up all of somebody's space???

Perhaps the smaller places should be left open for meeting options when it's not such a day of crowdiness (is that a word...oh well, it is now.)

Just a suggestion.

May the Fork be with you.

18. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    Is there a China's buffett place in Little Rock. Seems like Jacob always wants somthing besides normal american food. So China's would be great. You get your buffett and Jacob gets weird (but good ) food. Got to pick on ya man.

OH yeah Jacob got your message at bad time just PM or email its alot eaiser.

19. WeyrleaderZor

WeyrleaderZor Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2006
    Some of us do! ;)

20. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    For November 10 so far I have
    Gary signed up to bring Hot Dogs and buns.

Need some more people to volunteer to bring something if you're coming...
    And if it looks like not many can come maybe we should just move it or something?

21. nlrtrooper

nlrtrooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2006
    If I can find someone to cover me at the movie theater that night we will try to be there. I don't get off work till 4pm so we will be late so I guess I better bring a dessert so that no one has to wait for us to eat.

22. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Jaira is bringing cups and plates (be them paper, plastic, or whatever)...

23. solo71

solo71 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2007
    So the November 10th get together; it starts at 1 pm, right? If so, my question would be, how late do you think it will run, if I wanted to show up late? Due to my wonky work schedule, I'll be off on Saturdays in November, but have to work overnight the night before, and may not be able to get enough sleep and get up in time to make it by 1:00.

24. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    Till Julia and I get tired of everyone. Which usally means around 2or3 AM I think you can sleep in and make it. And you being new here you may want to leave earlier cause new people and me drinking usally means. Me dragging you into the spare room and we start looking at toys. Its not safe for new people HAHAHHAHHAHAHAH.
    Seriosly come s late as you want well be here.

25. AGRadministrator

Dec 3, 2006
    Unless a different suggestion is made we are currently looking at

China King Buffet at 2210 North Rodney Parham in Little Rock for the Black Friday Brunch.

Other suggestions will be considered but, this one is leading for the time being....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.