main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN November Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Layren, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ok everyone. This morning I decided to check on the showtimes for The Incredibles and the only theater that already had showtimes listed for Friday was Carmike 10 here in Hixson. would you guys mind going to see a movie up here or would you prefer to see it else where. If it was here we can get tickets in advance since their showtimes are listed. Our best way to go to avoid it being sold out is to do Fandango.com What do you guys think?

2. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    If we plan to go on Friday, I couldn't go until later on that evening. Hopefully the'll post some more showtimes soon, but if everyone else can make it Friday, then we can fo with that. Fandango seems like the way to go, though.

3. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    OK, guys, as promised, I did my research on times & I could only find times for 2 so far. Though I'm sure more will be available either tomorrow or Monday, so I'll keep you updated.
    I will not be able to go on Friday or Saturday as we are out of town, but Todd and I are planning on going on Sunday no matter what. So, if it's better for the group to go on Friday/Saturday, I understand, but Sunday between 1 & 6 would be better for me.
    Reminders: Layren & her hubby can't do Sunday evening, only early afternoon & Friday is opening night (let alone a Friday at the movies), which may make it really awful to try to make it for a time that night. I suggest either Saturday or Sunday matinee. Sunday will be less crowded, but I understand if you guys want to do it a different day. :)

Friday, November 5:

Carmkie Wynnsong 10 (Gunbarrell Rd)
    Incredibles, The
    Rated PG, 1 hr 55 min
    Buy Tickets: 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, 5:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30

Regal Crossing 6 (Northgate/Hixson)
    The Incredibles (PG)
    11:30am | 2:10 | 4:50 | 7:30 | 10:10

Saturday, November 6:

Carmike Wynnsong 10
    Incredibles, The
    Rated PG, 1 hr 55 min
    Buy Tickets: 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, 5:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30

Regal Crossing 6
    The Incredibles (PG)

Sunday, November 7:

Carmike Wynnsong 10
    Incredibles, The
    Rated PG, 1 hr 55 min

Regal Crossing 6
    The Incredibles (PG)

I'll update more as I find it!

4. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Sunday at 1:00? Anyone object?

5. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I don't think one is a good time for us, especially if we get out of church late like we did today. We got out around 12:00 since we had a guest speaker. It wouldn't give us enough time to get lunch before the movie so we'd prefer a different time.

6. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    I posted in the October Meeting thread, but figured it should go here so we are more likely to read it:

We could possibly have a gaming meeting at my house, but it all depends on when b/c November & December are such busy months. We need to discuss this idea in a committee (hehe) to figure out dates so I can confirm if we can do it or not. We have XBOX, PS2, N64, PC, but no board games or other types.

What Layren and I suggest is that we all decide on a night once a week or once every couple of weeks that we KNOW that we have the time and agree to meet online to discuss our ideas and any other stuff--we can use AOL Chat and have our own little forum just for that (you'd just have to log into AOL IM and be invited to join in the discussion/chat). How does that sound? Any suggestions on day/time to do this?

7. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    OK, no problem. I was just throwing a time out there to see for just that reason.

2:00?

As for a gaming night, where do you live again Sarka?

8. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Gaming night can't be Tuesday -- Tim and I are about to start a home bible study thing that meets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are out for us cause we have church then. So any other day would be ok.

9. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    I live in Jasper--off I-24 West of Chattanooga--not really far (except for maybe Jason if he's coming all the way from Cleveland). If anyone else with a more central location wants to volunteer, that's fine with me! I just wanted to offer it. But, like I said, it all depends on when b/c of our busy schedule. :)

Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays really aren't good for us either. Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays would be more likely available.

The 2:10 or 2:30 showings on Sunday would be good for us for The Invincibles!

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    How about Thursday then for Gaming night? Your place sounds fine Jody if you want to volunteer. Are we going to rotate who's house we have it at or let one person host us? I can supply the board games. We have tons.

As for the movie how about a Saturday matinee? 2:00 or 4:00 isn't likely to be crowded on Saturday. Sundays really are bad days in general for us. It just makes our afternoon before church rushed.

11. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Thursday sounds like the best for gaming nights. Can't do it Mondays or Fridays, and weekends are iffy.

If people can't host the gaming nights at their house, I probably can find a restaurant that would let us play board games. I know several restaurant owners....

We have a family function and I'm not sure that we'll be able to do the movie this weekend. :(

12. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I was just thinking how appropriate that we should be called the Outer Rim Lookouts, as we all seem to be located on the "outer rim" of Chattanooga. We really don't have anyone who lives in a more central location to everyone else.

Just to share, when I was with our local sci-fi group several years ago, we made arrangements with the local library to where we could hold our meetings there after hours. It was more of a side room and you didn't have access to the main section, so it worked out great for us. We had a TV, VCR, plenty of room for gaming, snacks, etc. Just a thought.

13. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    We're not going to be at the movie. Have fun, and may the force be with you.

I'm gonna try to be online tonight after 9 for the chat.

14. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    OK since movie times aren't working what should we do instead for a meeting? Just meet for gaming or what have you? when do you guys want to start doing that?

15. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Well, I'm pretty sure we are still going to see the movie on Sunday afternoon--probably one of the 2 o-clock showings, if anyone is interested and wants to join us. But we most likely won't be able to eat out afterward b/c we have a roast for our pastor later that evening at Western Sizzlin! lol

I still can't believe it, but no other movie places have their times up for this weekend yet!! How do they expect people like us to live?? Anyway, maybe tomorrow.....

You guys want to do a game night on a Thursday evening? Come up with suggested dates/times and I'll let you know if we can do it.

16. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Just a suggestion, but it would be nice if everyone was told when we were going to meet online. If I had known early enough, I could have arranged my day to fit the time, or suggested a better time. If we are going to be meeting and making decisions, perhaps we should post on the board what time/day we plan on doing it. I really didn't like not being able to join you gusy last night, but I didn't know ahead of time.
    :(

anyway, just a suggestion. So we don't leave people out. :)

Did you come up with any dates for a potential game night?
    What did you decide about the movie?

17. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    The movie thing was postponed until possibly next weekend sometime. The "meeting" online was really nothing formal. I saw where southernjedi might be able to get on around 9:00, so I stuck my head in just in case he did. Since 4 of the members were on there at some point around then, we just started throwing things out there. All of this can and should be brought up at the official meeting to make sure everyone has their say in it.

I'm just going off memory, but we discussed term limits. The ones in the room at the time thought a one year term would be good with re-elections in September.

Game nights. Southernjedi is going to look around to see if he can find a place more centralized to all of us. I think we also thought Thursday's were a good game night (not sure about this Thursday, though).

Chattacon. Not sure yet. I got a reply from a rep and they said they'd love to have us there (with a table) but didn't mention costs. A room dedicated for us didn't seem like an option, although it was mentioned that we could share in the gaming room. I would assume that the table would be free, but we'd have to pay full price to get in. I'll see if I can follow that up to make sure, though... unless you want to take that part over, SarkaVrae. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I was mainly looking to see how much it might cost, although I think for this particular event, the ones that want to go should probably pay their own way (rather than ask the group to pitch in to send one or two of us). I'm thinking we could maybe put together a nice looking flyer to promote ourselves. Whether we have a table or not, we need to have something there to possibly attract fans that don't know we're out here. I can't think of a better place that will have so many local sci-fi fans in one place. Of course I've never been, so I may have the wrong impression of who goes to Chattacon.

I think that's it, really. We could schedule a time to be online if you want to. Tonight's bad as I'll be glued to the news stations. It seems 9:00pm might be good on some other day, though. 9:00pm Wednesday?

18. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Thanks for the update, Jeff! You really are starting to look more and more like our secretary....(hint, hint, Southern)...lol

I would be happy to help in contacting ChattaCon. You are not stepping on my toes if you are enjoying talking with them though! Maybe both of us can talk to people and find out more that way! haha...get them from all sides, ya know? :)

19. drthmrl

drthmrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    hey guys if you want i can set some of the chat fan club flier's up with the hothlantarebels table. im sure the club wont mind. our meeting is this saturday(which by the way is the putt-putt challange against the klingon group known as KAG) and ill be there. i will be going o chattacon this year so it wont be any skin off my back.
    it sucks that i cant ever meet everyone at any of the meetings.:( but as i said before, i would love to meet and hangout anytime i can.

20. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    I PM'd you, drthmrl, but I thought I better post here as well--WHEN are you available to meet? We could try to get a meeting at least once around a time that is good for you! lol

21. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah, DrthMrl, that would be great! I don't know how much interest we would get from the Atlanta area, but who knows? As far as Chattacon goes, I definitly want to have flyers there. Like I said, I don't know if there's a Star Wars presence that goes to Chattacon, but if there is, I defintly want to let them know about us. We've talked a little about this, but I would hope we're open enough to allow the group to be Star Wars themed, but also be willing to have discussions on other sci-fi/fantasy themed movies. That way, we could also tap into fans of the other films/TV shows out there. Admittedly, I like Star Trek as well. They can co-exist. Of course, as far as my fandom compared to my Star Wars obsession isn't even close, I did watch ST:TNG religeously back in the day, but didn't really get into the other ones that followed. OK, enough about that. I talk (write) too much!

22. drthmrl

drthmrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    ok heres the deal. im almost always off mondays and tuesdays. i get off work anytime between 5 and 8 on wed. sundays are iffy. either i close or i get off at around 3 or 5. im off every third saturday of the month but thats the day i go down to atlanta for the hothlantarebels group.

23. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    OK, I am proposing our next meeting should be on November 15th at 7:00pm. If this is ok, then we can decide on the place. Is this ok with everyone?

24. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Sounds good to me. Tuesday is small group bible study and Wednesday night is church so that works good for us. What about gaming ? Are we going to start that Thursday of that week?

25. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Thursday is good. We need to decide where the games will be played, though before I can commit to anything. If I have to go way far out, then I wouldn't be able to stay very long. I'm hoping southernjedi can find a place that we can all go about an equal distance to get to. Of course it won't work for everyone, but there's no way I could make it to Jasper or Hixson or Cleveland during the week and have any time to play. On a weekend... maybe, but during the week? Very doubtful.

Nov meeting - Monday, Nov 15th at 7:00pm - place: TBD

Gaming night - Thursday, Nov 18th at ??pm - place: TBD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.