main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL November Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sereana_Nightstar, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi all,
    Well, our usual meeting is Sat. Nov. 20th. Also, I am having an open house, birthday party, Thanksgiving get together, on Sunday Nov. 28th.

At the meeting on the 20th, everyone needs to bring a new unwrapped toy for the Toys-for-Tots campaign!!! This is very important that you bring this to the meeting...Denise will be going to Orlando on Sunday to drop off our contribution at the Sci-Fi convention.
    If you want to drop off a topy before that you can do so at my apt. before the 20th. I am home in the evening after 9pm, on M-T and after 6pm on W-Th. home most Sundays. 727-588-0947.

The get together on Sunday Nov. 28th is the birthday party/Thanksgiving feast thing.

We do need to know how many are coming and what people can bring. This will be served buffet style. I am doing the Turkey, and a few other things so far. Birthdays so far are mine, Kevin's little boy Luke, my cat p. Leia, and anyone else who havs a b-day in Nov. so please let me or Denise know if you are coming, if your b-day is in Nov. and what you can bring.

The meeting on Nov. 20th will be at my apt. in Largo at 6:00 PM with a movie afterwards to see National Treasure with Nick Cage.

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    To add to this, I just want to say I am sorely disappointed in the attendance of our meetings and outings of late. I see a definite lack of commitment and interest. Well those of us hanging together are having a great time and building stronger friendships while the rest of you guys are simply missing out.

We are willing to participate with Rebel Legion activities, 501st and other fan groups, but you folks who have connections with them are not posting or making the core group aware of the unpcoming events. Apathy is not acceptable. Some of us really enjoy participating in charity events and what have you, but if you don't clue us in, the events will not be on our agenda and the contributions we 2 could be making are not happening.

I personnally have made financial contributions to this group like shelling out $$$ for a party that no one has the courtesy to show up at. I appreciate that Mike, Kevin, Ross and Marie made it, but am very disheartened that the rest of you have shifted your loyalties to other groups who may not even be local...Orlando 501st is quite a drive. I am glad that they held a charity event for the kids, but I am sure the rest of us would have gladly participated if ANYONE would have let us know. I definitely would not have gone through the expense and trouble of prepairing for a party and meeting if I had been given any kind of notice about the other event. It would have been fun not to be doing the house work and be out with the kids had the group been notified.

What this all boils down to is that a handful of us have remained in contact and made the effort to gather. I had high hopes for this chapter in general, but I guess you can't count on whinnie fans who haven't made any kind of investment in the chapter to be there when the time comes. People who want to play the role in their heads but don't have the n@&$ to live it in th real world.

Yes we have had storms. floods, and financial ruin,health issues, but it is the escape of Fandom that makes the rest of it a little more bearable. If the chapter doesn't pick up some steam by the 1st of the year, I suppose it may go by the wayside. I'd hate to think that something we fought so hard to establish would be of so little consequence as to be run into the ground due to apathy. I guess I understand now why certain parties were so glad to throw off the mantel of leadership and walk away.

"There is no try...there is only play or don't
    play..." You choose.

Is a local chapter of the Fan Force important enough to continue to meet at least once a month for an hour or two or is it just a passing fancy? I like to think that the Lucas franchise has lasted over 25 years because there are some real fans out there. What do you think? Are there some real fans in this area or just dabblers? [face_devil]

3. mdl9482

mdl9482 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2004
    I doubt I'll be able to make the November meeting due to my Grandparents' 50th anniversary celebration. As for the Thanksgiving thing, I need to see what my work schedule is like so I'll say yay or nay as the time draws closer.

4. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    okay, thanks for letting me know Mike....that is understandable...that is pretty cool to make a 50th anniversary!!!

5. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Regardless of the outcome....the person does make the choice whether to attend an event or not. They should not be scoulded for it...as this makes fans feel uncomfortable, unwelcome and they may choose to go elsewhere for their fun and companionship in the sci-fi world.

Folks, it is a common courtesy to at least let the host know if you are coming or not. So that he or she does not go to all the expense and trouble of setting up the whole event.

It would be nice to have other folks post on the board about what the other groups in the area are doing for events. Fans then have a choice of where, what and with whom to spend their time with.

At this time, and after the holidays are over and we have our partys. That maybe it would be better to go back to being on the boards until after C3.

I know everyone is going to be very busy with getting ready for this event.

I would like to continue to have a movie night with going to a local place to eat beforehand, and have this on the 3rd. Sat. of each month.

If fans know of other events, with other groups, please post them on the board, so all can be aware of what is happening in the area, that would be nice. I know I do not have the time to check all the boards for this...and we did have a member who was posting these...but has not been able to do so of late.

I have posted about the Thanksgiving/birthday event at my place on the 28th of Nov. I also plan to have the Christmas party at my place on Sat. Dec. 18th. If you are planning to come please let me know...if you will not be able to make it...please let me know..posting a reply on the board is a great way to get a head count.

So let's put things on a happier level and especially since these groups are community charity based and come together. We have a lot to be thankful for and this is the time for good will toward all living things...everyday is a good day for this.

Thanks,
    Marie

6. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Folks please let me know if you can make the Nov. meeting and join us for dinner and a movie!!!

Also please let me know one way or another about coming to the Thanksgiving/birthday party on Sunday Nov. 28th.

Thanks

7. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Denise, would you please post a few of the topics on the agenda for the meeting on the 20th?

Maybe this will give folks a heads up and they can be coming up with some ideas. Also remember to bring a new, unwrapped toy for Toys for Tots campaign

Thanks

8. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Just a reminder that the meeting for Nov. is this Sat. the 20th at 6pm at my apt. If you need directions please call me at 727-692-8308. and I will get back with you ASAP. Please bring a new unwrapped toy to the Toys For Tots campagin.

We will begoing to the movie after the meeting.. Right now the local theatre times are around 7-7:30pm or wait until 10pm or after. If this does nto work, we can go to Baywalk in downtown St, Pete. for an 8 or 9 pm showing.

9. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Can't make it tonight. Other obligations. See you at your birthday party Marie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.