main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Now and Always (a b'day fic for Obi_Webb)/Author's note 06/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kestella, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Title: Now and Always
    Authors: Kestella aka Stella_Ripple and Kestrel_Kenobi
    Characters: Qui and Obi (of course!)
    Notes: A little something written for our wonderful friend Obi_Webb! Happy Birthday! [:D]

With thanks to Nienna for being such a speedy beta! :D

Qui-Gon held the boy tightly as he leant over the edge of the boat, trailing his fingers in the water. The sun was beginning to set and the last rays lightly shone upon Obi-Wan?s small form.

?Come little one.? Qui-Gon spoke softly, not wanting to disturb the youngling but aware that night would soon be upon them.

Obi-Wan turned his face to look at his Master. A small frown had appeared on his forehead making him look older than his almost five years. Qui-Gon had to hold back a smile as he looked into the boy?s serious eyes.

?But it?s my birthday!? Obi-Wan protested, speaking the words as if they were magic and could make the impossible possible.

Qui-Gon chuckled softly and placed a hand on his Padawan?s head.

?It?s your birthday tomorrow, Obi-Wan, and that still doesn?t mean you can do whatever you want.?

Obi-Wan stuck out his bottom lip in reply but pushed the issue no further.

Both Master and apprentice stood for a while looking out over the sea and watching the clear waters reflect the beautiful pinks and oranges of the setting sun.

At last, Qui-Gon broke the silence.

?I understand why you want to stay, Obi-Wan,? he said softly. ?However, night is not far off now and we need to return to the mainland today.?

He took a sideways glance at Obi-Wan who was having an inward struggle with himself. To protest or not to protest? The boy finally decided there really was no point.

?Yes, Master,? he replied, placing his small hand in Qui-Gon?s outstretched one. Qui-Gon smiled at the boy. For all his seriousness Obi-Wan could prove just as willful as any other (almost) five year old at times.

?Let?s go and tell Byrn we?re ready to head back to shore then, shall we??

Obi-Wan nodded and ran ahead of Qui-Gon towards the cabin where Byrn was sailing the small boat.

SQUAAAWK!

?Obi-Wan.?

?Sorry, Master.?

Qui-Gon stifled a grin as a small hand shot away from the tail feathers it was tugging on and came to rest by its young owner?s side, and it took all of the five year old?s control to not follow the urgings of his twitching fingers.

Turning to share a smirk with his friend, Qui-Gon?s smile abruptly faded at the uncharacteristic frown on the captain?s tanned forehead. Giving him a worried look that was duly ignored, the Jedi turned back to the youngling.

?Obi-Wan, why don?t you and Squawk go on back to the deck??

Maybe it was because even one so young could tell the command in the Master?s gentle voice, or perhaps it was the added temptation to spend more (unsupervised) time with the fascinating bird, that prompted the little boy and bird out of the Captain?s cabin.

Left alone with his friend, Qui-Gon tried to find the words to confront the tall, brooding figure in front of him, and after a few moments? worth of pondering, came to realise just who he was about to address.

?Byrn, you might as well tell me now.?

Anyone who had not spent considerable time with the man may have failed
    to spot the tell-tale twitch of the captain?s lips. Anyone other than a Jedi may not have noticed the worry in his dark brown eyes. As Qui-Gon fulfilled neither qualification, he did not miss either.

?There?s a storm coming.?

A tense silence ensued. Both men knew that Kethari was famous for it?s violent, but rare, storms; storms that were capable of tearing apart republic liners; storms that would make very short work of Byrn?s little sailing boat.

?What do we do?? Qui-Gon did not waste any time questioning his friend?s information.

?Get your boy back in here - he?ll be safest here.? The grim tone sounded so strange compared to Byrn?s usual exuberance, that Qui-Gon could not prevent a strong sense of for

2. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Happy birthday OBI! [:D] It wouldn't have the personal touches without you!!!
    Had a wonderful time working on this kes! [:D]
    Thanks so much for helping out Nienna [:D]

3. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    you both know how much i love this!:D i couldn't ask for two more wonderful friends! [:D]

?Master notta useless.?

The sleepy murmur distracted him. Obi-Wan, cuddled close to him, was mumbling happily into his tunic.

?My Master notta leave me. I always feel him. He?s right here. He never leave me?

Qui-Gon could do nothing but hold the precious bundle tighter, eyes misting over as the little hands clutched his own tunic possessively.

?Oh my Little One, if that were only true??

Another look at the now sleeping child and gaze softened, and that something that had been twisting his heart suddenly lifted, leaving behind an empty space. But no, it was not empty, merely cleared; ready to be the loving home it was meant to be.

A fresh determination gave birth to a tender promise, one he would honor all his life and beyond.

?It will be true. Now and always.?

that was a perfect ending! it brought tears to my eyes, it was so beautiful! and adding in squawk and having the captain named byrn... that was brilliant!
    such amazing writing and a truly wonderful story! no suprise when it's the two of you collaborating!

thanks so much again![:D]

and thank you nienna for betaing this for them!=D=

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_love] Oh, sweet mush! Me love...and beautifully written.
    [face_love]

5. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    =D= Great viggie Kes and Stella! Such a sweet Qui/Obi moment :D

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY obi_webb ! (again :p )

jcs

6. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Wonderful little piece - it was adorable...happy belated birthday ObiWebb!!!

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, sweet birthday fic!! [face_love] [face_love]

8. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Yahoo!!! Happy birthday obi_webb
    [face_good_luck] and best wishes[:D]

great little story:D

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Awww, li'l Obi! [face_love] Sweet mush! Happy Birthday, obi_webb!

10. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    stella - [:D] I had a great time writing this with you as well m'dear! We should do it again! [face_batting]

obi - I'm so happy you liked this [:D] ... it was fun writing it for you!

and now i hope that Stella (who is currently MIA ;) ) won't mind if i do some author replies!

Valairy_Scot - :D Thank you! I love mush too...

Jaina - Thanks - nice to see you here! :D

kenobiwanobi - Thanks very much!

Leona Glad you liked!

Gkilkenny - Thank you!

Princess_Arulmozhi - :)...I love writing lil Obi - thanks for reading!

11. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    :D [:D]A huge big thank you for nominating this in the Summer '06 awards! :D [:D]

12. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Loverly. Sweet moments, fear and angst, even sweeter moments. Just drag us through (almost) the entire range of emotions and do it so beautifully, will ya? :p Thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.