main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Now Guillermo Del Toro Confirms That He Turned Down Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Krueger, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, these people are turning down SW, but that is ONLY because they are big-time, commercially successful, marquee directors whos careers don't need SW. Show me anyone (director, actor, or anything else) who isn't at or near that level, even someone VERY talented, who says they would turn down SW, I will show you a liar. The world is full of artists of every form who are very talented but will never make it commercially; SW is a built-in chance to make it, period.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    oops, double post.

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't know, considering Ron Howard is still kinda "old guard." He has been doing largely straight drama's forever. Its been a long time since "Willow." I don't seem him as being interested in a Star Wars film. I could be wrong.

5. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Misleading thread title. Makes it sound like he was actually offered the job and declined but it sounds like it was just a phone call to gauge his interest. I doubt he's the only director who got that phone call.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    What???? He is brilliant and original.

7. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    A lot of these "(famous director) turns down Star Wars" articles are mis-using the phrase as it's commonly understood in most showbiz and business reporting. From these reports it sounds like neither JJ Abrams nor Guillermo Del Toro were actually offered the job. They had no offer to turn down.

Disney/Lucasfilm reached out to them to gauge interest level. They said they weren't interested. That doesn't mean that if the process had continued to its natural end, that all (or any) of these candidates would have indeed been offered the job.

It's a minor distinction, but, worth pointing out. These article headlines make it sound as if Kathleen Kennedy is throwing out directing job offers like confetti and getting no responses. That doesn't seem to be the case.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Which is exactly what SW needs. We don't need Ron Moore's nuBSG or Abrams Trek.

We need a director who is going to respect the source in all aspects.

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I disagree: I think you need energy/passion. That doesn't necessarily mean that can't come from an old man. But Spielberg doesn't seem to have any interest in an overt action movie anymore.

I don't want them to do it with someone who is doing a favor to his "old friend George." I want someone who has enthusiasm.

10. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    There's nothing wrong with enthusiasm.

There IS something wrong with "we need to "rethink/reinterpret/reimagine this".

I'm sick of science fiction (in particular) cannibalizing existing franchises to suit the overweening egos of creatives.

If I buy Coca Cola, I want Coke, not Dr Pepper. If I buy a Tom Clancy novel, I want Tom Clancy, not Harlequin romance with guns.

kainee likes this.
  11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    That is not going to happen with lucas involved as creative consultant, nor dealing with his treatments. The director is a hired gun no matter who they bring. As I've said, this movie will be storyboarded, scrutinized, and scripted well before the director shoots the first frame.

The only thing a director is going to have to do on this project:
    a)frame a shot
    b)get performances out his actors.

A director may petition for a more practical approach to certain shots and scenes. But he is probably not going to be affecting the tone of it much, which is going to be established by Arnt/Lucas.

If they ever do the approach in question, it will be way down the line. Perhaps even decades.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Spielberg can still direct circles around anyone, especially when it comes to action/sci-fi. If he's the high-watermark for Old Guard filmmakers, sign him up!

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    He doesn't seem interested in doing explicit action movies anymore. He has said as such. He has moved mainly into the period or spectacle dramas. The last movie he did that was similar to Star Wars, Indy 4, was pretty terrible. I just don't see him having an interest in it.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can still see Spielberg cranking out another action/sci-fi'er. I gave him a mulligan for Lincoln, guy had been talking it up for a straight decade by that point.