Now How Much Would You Pay?

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by Bosh_Talk, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got my first ad for discounted pre-orders for the Star Wars:SE Trilogy DVD's from Amazon for just $41.99 (down from MSRP of $69.98).

So, that comes out to like 10 bucks for Empire Strikes Back:SE...10 bucks for all the extra behind the scenes material and $20.00 for a couple of drink coasters.

I say that's a rip off!!! If anyone hears of a better deal being offered, post it here!
  2. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm considering setting aside that $42 toward a second-hand laserdisc player and finally getting myself a copy of the Definitive Collection. I loved the way the SE's opened up Cloud City and made the Dewbacks even cooler than they were, but that doesn't forgive their numerous f###-ups, like Greedo or that stupid extended dance number in ROTJ (can't wait to see how Lucas paralells that scene in EpIII.)

-Le Penguin
    "A certain point of view!?"
  3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Buy.com has it for $41.98. Don't spend that extra penny all in one place.

I'm hearing rumors that there will be more changes for the DVDs, including a reshooting of the Emperor's hologram in ESB. I really wish Lucas would leave well enough alone. It never bothered me that the hologram wasn't Ian McDiarmid.

TheForce.Net is reporting on what the commentaries will be for the films:

A New Hope
    Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

The Empire Strikes Back
    Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Return of the Jedi
    Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Phil
  4. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    He's going to get rid of the Chimperor?
  5. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    bummer....

I will probably just try my luck at the stores...
    When Phantom Menace was scheduled to come out...
    I did the reserve my copy at a special rate thing...

turned out that it was in the stores before I got mine...
    and they were cheaper in the stores than what I paid for it...
    plus I had to pay shipping....
    so the bottom line is....I will just wait for it to hit the stores....
  6. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "TheForce.Net is reporting on what the commentaries will be for the films:

A New Hope
    Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

The Empire Strikes Back
    Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Return of the Jedi
    Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher
    "

Sweet! :D These will be truly fun to listen to. :)

I'm glad Carrie Fisher is doing the commentaries as well, because cast commentaries are usually my favorites. Not to mention Carrie Fisher has a good sense of humor and should make it fun. :)
  7. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    i'm not sure if this will be edited/deleted by the mods. it's probably not technically "legal." but hey, i'll give it a shot, and if heather deletes me, i'll consider it a privilege. :) (hi heather!)

one of my longtime dreams has been to put together an alternate DVD box set for the original star wars films, including burns of the definitive versions pre-SE off the laserdiscs (widescreen of course), all the extras from the laserdiscs, and all the other crap I've had on video for years upon years...I think we could put togehter some pretty cool stuff. many of you have seen my tapes of weird SW related stuff, so we could really get some nice "extras" going. i'm sure if we pooled our resources it could be pretty rad.

i have a DVD burner I haven't played with yet so in theory I could handle the "authoring" and the duping of copies. all for free, of course, just for the "cost" of blank discs and understanding if I get too busy to burn them in a quick fashion.

anyway. it's a dream. drop me a line if you want to help, i suppose.

and regardless, i'll be buying the DVDs day-of, probably at a best buy in Los Angeles.

matt
  8. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    i'm gonna wait till these start poppin up in second hand shops. my theory is that i'll be able to save a bunch on 3 flicks that we have 4 copies of already.
  9. Mapman Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think as long as you aren't selling them you are still legal in making copies. They were being sold using on RebelScum awhile back but they made sure to refer to them to be used as a archive. I guess that makes it ok?
  10. synasp Jedi Knight

star 2
    yes and no. I have to watch copyright laws closely when making replica props (I'm no lawyer), but media like movies and music falls into a certain legal loophole, where you can basically make copies of things YOU own. It falls under a similar banner to "time-shifting," a case against Betamax taping a while ago... actually, let me look it up...

a friend says:
    "The Betamax case is Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417 (1984). 5-4 decision, Justice Stevens writing for the majority. This was a contributory infringement action against Sony, with Universal asking for damages as well as injunctive relief. I'd assume Sony was appealing from the 9th Circuit, but I don't know for sure--I'm reading from a treatise, not the case.

The Court ruled that off-the-air taping for private use qualified as a "fair use" of the copyrighted work. It is this private use that the Court referred to as "time-shifting." The Court found that harm to the market was not presumed, and the Plaintiffs were unable to prove enough economic harm from the practice. In a nutshell, this means the Court found no harm to Universal caused by Sony's providing people with the tools to tape shows off the air so they could watch them later--or at least, not enough proof of harm to sustain the lawsuit."

So like VCRs and Tivo copies and such (which are legal), I would think DVD burners are fine, as long as you're making it for yourself ;) ;) and not selling it or producing mass quantities.

...oh, and I hear Georgie boy has Han shooting first again.... hopefully so. that change always bothered me.

David
  11. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    ...oh, and I hear Georgie boy has Han shooting first again.... hopefully so. that change always bothered me.

Wait.

Lucas might possibly be reversing a bad decision?

<whiny Luke>That's impossible!</whiny Luke>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.