main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Now I Owe You One."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FRAGGLE_ROCKER, Sep 8, 2010.

1. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    In The Empire Strikes Back, Han tells Luke "that's two you owe me," referring to saving him from the cold and getting his back during the trench run.
    After Luke rescues Han from Jabba the Hutt, Han tells him, "now I owe you one."
    Am I missing something else Luke did for Han?

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Luke owes Han two. Han owes Luke one.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Exactly. Han is just confirming that he owes Luke one.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Or,m that what Luke did meant so much to him that it wiped out his debt and put Han in his debt.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This doesn't make sense. The whole principle of "owing someone" is that when that debt is paid, the initial "owing" is cancelled out, not added to.

By saving Han, Luke cancels one of his debts. It doesn't mean Han has to save Luke again as that would just result in an endless cycle.

Han should have said "Now you only owe me one"

6. hydrogen_helium

hydrogen_helium Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2010
    You missed nothing. Han is just emphasizing that what Luke did for him was so important that it's as if Luke paid Han back those two and more besides.

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Something tells me they aren't really holding one another to, "owing," anything to one another. Just friendly banter meant to bring some levity to close calls.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This. They are friends, they are not actually keeping tabs or a checklist of favors owed and repaid.

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    This is similar to the exchange between Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS:

Anakin: But you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time.
    Obi-Wan: Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't...doesn't count.

10. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Very true. I had not noticed this before. It really doesn't make much sense literally but I think its the kind of forgivable thing a friend would say under the circumstances. Its just Han's way of highlighting the fact that, for a change, Luke saved him and not the other way around. I think its simply being affirmed they're both now indebted to each other forever. What Han feels he now owes Luke is an everlasting sense of gratitude, I suppose - the same gratitude Luke will also owe Han no matter what.

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Curiously, I originally watched a dubbed version which said "Now you owe me only one". Sad that I found out that it wasn't like that originally.

12. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Exactly. Han didn't mean it literally. He just appreciated what Luke did and just expressed it by saying "Now I owe you one".

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    As I was reading the novel Jedi Eclipse today, I came across this exchange between Han and Droma:

Droma: "The hand of fate. But you still owe me one life."
    Han: "What are you talking about?"
    Droma: "I saved you aboard the Queen of Empire when Reck made you jump into the drop shaft, then I freed you from the Falcon's escape pod when Elan was trying to kill you."
    Han: "Yeah, so who just yanked you out of the drainage ditch?"
    Droma: "That's the one I'm counting."
    Han: "What about my getting you out of district headquarters in one piece?"
    Droma: "That was a rescue, not a life save. We don't know that my life was endangered, so the best we could say was that you rescued me from imprisonment."
    Han: "All right, I still owe you one."

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    This. Han isn't calculating some kind of math equation, he's expressing gratitude to his good friend, in affectionate language which, while not mathematically accurate, conveys the depth of his appreciation.

I noticed this some time in the 80s, BTW, and it never bothered me because I implicitly understood the above.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too. ;)

16. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    They're just not very good at maths.

17. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Blackadder: Now Baldrick, if I have two beans and I add two more beans, what does that make?
    Baldrick: A very small casserole.

18. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah, it's just a way of expressing gratitude, not referring to actual debt. Also it emphasizes that Han's usually the one saving Luke and now Luke's doing the saving for a change! Go, protagonist!

19. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://twitchfilm.net/news/DennisHopper.jpg]

"One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space,
    you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths?
    What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something?"

(from APOCALYPSE NOW)

20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
  21. Sith_Rocks

Sith_Rocks Jedi Knight

May 15, 2006
    Unless....

In order for Han to actually owe Luke 1 it meant that Luke saved him 3 times as Luke was down by 2. Now perhaps because Luke saved not only Han but also Chewbacca and Leia (3) that it could mean that. Its possible.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Bumping to confuse people

23. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Your mind tricks won't work on me. [face_shame_on_you]

24. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The more logical exchange would have been, "Luke, thanks. Thanks for coming after me. Now you only owe me one"

But I think that, even in jest, that would have made Han look like a bit ungrateful. I think the underlying meaning is that Han saved Luke from death twice, and Luke only saved Han once, but from a fate worse than death.

So, not only are they even, but Han is forever ingraciated to him. Giri, and all that stuff.

25. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    8-} [face_laugh]

This post just made me laugh really hard.

This is one of the funniest threads iv seen in a while.