main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Now is the time for confirmation bias.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It won't be long until the first reviews of The Force Awakens hit the mediasphere. TFA opens in some markets in mid week, so there will be nothing to be gained from holding reviews. I expect the usual suspects like Hollywood Reporter and Variety will be out early.

Here's my guide for enjoying the critical response to a hotly anticipated movie.

1. Find a critic who shares your persepctive. For me, it's AO Scott. He's a Star Wars fanboy of about my age who experienced the original Star Wars frenzy first hand as a child just like I did. He will know whether TFA's advertising delivers on its promise from the perspective of fans our age.

Find yourself a movie critic like that who knows Star Wars the way you know it. Ignore everybody else.

2. If there is a positive critical consensus around this movie, don't go after those poor outlier critics who disagree. Don't participate in doxxing campaigns. Don't post angry comments. Let it go. Revel in the positive consensus.

3. If there is a negative critical consensus about the movie, be prepared to take it with a grain of salt. The new movie looks like a flat out nostalgia fest. That might work well for fans without connecting well with general audiences.

4. Similarly, if you are seeing the movie late, take audience response measures (Cinemascore) with a grain of salt.

5. If your non Star Wars fan friends and family don't love the movie, forgive them. Better yet, don't even ask for their opinions. You've probably bought your tickets already anyway with the sole purpose of seeing TFA at the earliest available opportunity in the best possible format. That's just smart. You're a smart fan.

6. Or just don't read reviews ahead of time. Easier written than accomplished.

7. See the damn thing in IMAX 3D if at all possible. Psychology works in such a way that if you pay more for an impressive format, you're simply more likely to be impressed. Make it easy on yourself.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    COOL!

I'm seeing it in Large format, RealD3d,
    Dolby Atmos for the best experience.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    When do you think we'll start to see the first reviews? 1/2 weeks before?

4. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Best thread title ever.

5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    About a week before

Satipo likes this.
  6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Agreed, probably about a week early.

Satipo likes this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    This guide kind of reminds me of this old news report I saw on youtube where some families needed group therapy to deal with Nintendo releasing a Super Nintendo.

Artoo-Dion and Jabbadabbado like this.
  8. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    The 14th is the world premiere isn't it? Will it screen for critics prior to that? I am not sure how that all works to be honest.

9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I expect they will embargo any reviews, though we may see some slips in there.

Satipo likes this.
  10. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

The last thing we heard on that subject, which was a rumor passed along via one of the trade mags like The Hollywood Reporter or something similar, was it might not screen for critics before the premier, or if it did, it would be a very small number of selected critics.

And there was lots of grumbling from second-tier media outlets and film blogs about it, too. Speculation ran the predictable range of reactions from: "this means Disney thinks the film isn't very good!" to "this is just more JJ mystery box BS", with the more butt-hurt of the 2nd-tier folks tending to favor the former, and the more laid-back folks the latter.

AFAIK, though, there was nothing official, and unless I missed it, there's been nothing more said about it since.

Jabbadabbado and KDC1972 like this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    After the release of TPM in 1999, one of the most popular psychology 101 concepts posted about around here was "cognitive dissonance."

It is my sincere hope that from this moment forward "cognitive dissonance" will never again be mentioned in the context of audience response to The Force Awakens.

12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Disagree on this one. Good big 2D screen in a nice theater for me!

13. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D but soon after will see it in a DOME IMAX 2d.

B99 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's all about maximizing the experience for your own enjoyment.

Full disclosure. My first look is on a 2d screen. I bought tickets for about 20 people, and one of them is a kid who had undiagnosed amblyopia and has no stereo vision. 3D doesn't work for him.

Darth Mikey likes this.
  15. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Yup! I'll probably see it in 3D for fun the 3rd or 4th time :p

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Why? Why would I see it in that awesome technology when it was filmed on crappy 35mm, not even digital. The 3D will be sub-par. The IMAX will be...not IMAX.

Also, I will be looking to enjoy confirmation bias. As in, I'm hoping the film is panned by critics for the fanfilm & OT nostalgia fest that it will be.

17. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Horrible 'guide'

lets only take the good reviews and forget about the bad ones? wow[face_dunno]

I never base my movie selection on 'critics' as most of the time they are woefully inaccurate. Case in point, my wife and I love to watch the 'Emmy award winners ' or those films that are dubbed 'best of the year' and most of them are horrible. Hurtlocker- wow what a bore and it won; most of the 'years' best are anything but.

bluecadet3 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    I don't understand the need to come in here and act like this.

19. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I dont have an imax near me and neither do i care for 3d so its 2d 7.1 for me in my local screen.
    One thing to bear in mind was a manufacturer of projector screens who provided screens for the mastering of this movie specifically stated to avoid seeing this movie in the domed imax screen, due to it altering the image from the directors intent, fyi.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Isn't it true one segment of the movie was filmed with IMAX cameras?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Unlikely, seeing that JJ hates technology.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I was lucky enough to see Empire Strikes Back projected in 70mm back in 1980. That was an incredible experience.

Dewback and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    can't find the delete button

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You seem upset. Is everything ok? We're here to help.

25. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    some scenes were in fact shot with imax cameras.

Dewback and Artoo-Dion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.