main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Now that it's 4 moths away, andyone thinking of SWC IV?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MrShiny, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse, but anyone thinking of going to SWC in LA? I may be vounteering. If anyone goes I might be able to arrange a trip to Disneyland.

2. JediFalcon25

JediFalcon25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Im pretty Sure im going!! It be kool for anyone else to hang out in L.A.!!

benji

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I am taking a pass on this one....

4. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i'm thinking about being a little relieved that I am not thinking about going.

D-Con 07: CF DOMINATION OHEMGEE LOLLERS.

5. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Pass.

6. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I like how TFN has a new "bucket for CIV".....I suppose that's suiting.

Bosh

7. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Yes, I almost feel a duty to go after seeing what Gen Con did at the last one! New place, greater capacity - same old Gen Con - could be interesting!

8. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    A duty.

A duty of poo.

9. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    If it was within driving distance again, I would go. But L.A.? Heck no!!

10. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
  11. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'll probably have my decisions about 3 butterflies away from the date (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I won't be attending.

12. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I'm going.

13. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    No money, too far away, and got to take care of my dad {alzheimers}. Not going.

14. jediprincess77

jediprincess77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2006
    I'll be there! And I'm excited, darn it!

15. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I will be there, staying at the Otani. I doubt I would be up for Disney Land though unless they overlap with SWW like I heard they might (old rummor, no idea how likely it is). Otherwise, I have to save my money because I have two weddings (in Vegas and Boston) and Disney World SWW to save for.[/color]

16. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Good to hear that some of you will be there. I know how it feels to have to travel to Celebrations not just being close to where you can Drive.

C1 was the easy one to get too but C2 and C3 were a bit farther away. I am in Idaho and going to LA is alot closer for me than Indy but if it was in FL I would still go. Can not pass up seeing old friends and making new ones hope to see you there Ben. (Jedifalcon25)

17. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    fine, I will confess it: I am suffering from VERY mild pangs that I will miss CIV.

here's the ONLY reason why: I would bet my left arm that a 30th anniversary reunion of the cast of the original Star Wars is an inevitability--and I would include Harrison Ford in that list.

i just have a funny feeling.

18. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I dunno, Ford seems to really despise the franchise no matter how much money they throw at him (if recent stories are to be believed). It would truly suck to miss being in the same room as (at least) the three main stars.....but let's do the math....Ford would probably only do one panel...and when placed in front of a microphone he only speaks 3 syllables per minute...so he'd only really be able to answer 2 to 3 questions tops and we probably wouldn't understand him anyway.

Seriously though...even for a once in a life-time opportunity like that (which probably wont happen anyway) I still can't justify the cash, stress and inconvenience of that ****ty convention system.

D'

19. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    naw, I don't think for me at least that the expense, time, energy, and ultimately frustration involved in going would be worth it. not even close at this point in my life. i don't know that there's a geek draw strong enough to make me spend a serious amount on traveling from my home city to a convention (other than hanging out with geek friends).

however, i think it's a strong likelihood, and if it happens, i'll be slightly bummed that I missed it. carrie fisher is already a confirmed guest, mark hamill is local and very game for these types of events (at least, of a certain size; he's done Comic-Con in San Diego, for example), and I would think the draw of doing a one-time panel with those two to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary would be worth it for him.

plus, i bet they'd give him a few bags of money.

then, of course, we consider the potential organizational nightmare brought on by such an event, even if it's just two of the three as confirmed guests (hamill, fisher) doing a panel together and then ford as a "surprise" guest. remember the george lucas fiasco from CIII? i wasn't there but it sounds like a nightmare.

anyway, interesting to speculate. 191 days till Dragoncon. that's all I really care about.

20. Shaelyn_Skywalker

Shaelyn_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I have to wait and see if my dad will actually take me....BUT I SO TOTALLY HOPE SOOOOO!!!

21. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    I am going to be there again, but once again, I will be working (which aint bad, no lines for me!)

22. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    To much money for me I,m saving up for a vacation to punta cana in july but I two do have a funny feeling that George is going to call in some favors and get a ton of people to attend. I could only imagine what it would like to be in a room and look up on stage and see George, Mark, Carrie, and Harrison.

23. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    having whined about it extensively, I now come hat in hand to ask if anyone out there can help me with buying an item at CIV this year.

it's the Gentle Giant exclusive Han/Luke Stormtrooper bust-ups. This is my latest/last bastion of Star Wars collecting, since they are generally cheap and easy to find and look cool. (I'm also, for the moment, restricting myself to the OT characters.)

If anyone would be willing to buy me one set of these (I can't imagine they'd cost more than $20 total), I would very much appreciate it. Drop me a PM. I will provide cash (or an estimated cost thereof) beforehand, and will of course also pay for shipping.

(They also seem to be selling them throughout the summer at various events, so they don't seem as though they'll be back-breaking to purchase; however, this is the only event where I know friends will be attending this summer and could hopefully help a brother out.)

Thanks in advance.

24. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    sent ya a PM dartha, be happy to get em for ya

25. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    now that is Chicago Force love in action. thanks man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.